Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

On 8/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, omega1978 said:

@Walter H thank you !

I am working mostly manual focus, and use the Af only when i need tracking or to find the focus point in critical situation and then switch back to manual( there the S1 is very good with the Eye AF ). continuos tracking works only good when 1 person is in scene and the background is blurry ( thing that on weeding is not often )., maybe works better with lenses that have 1.5 aperture . I have only the 24-105 and manual Samyangs. I wait for the Sigma L- Mount lineup.

My setup is simple, monopod with manfrotto head on a Hijib belt with 20000mah powerbank under, Rode Micro and variable nd filter.

With a display loop i work sometimes handheld, dual ibis is very stable and give a good floating look

i have shoot foto for first communion with 60 kids, 2 hours , 1100 foto, 5 out of focus( with the Eye AF ) I think is not a bad result with the kids the always moving and the church was very dark

What is a hijib belt?

I am only shooting with a Xiaomi 3 powerbank. Its perfect!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Alright guys....[sigh]....it's possible that I have found a chink in the S1's VLog armor: (a gaping hole maybe)

I noticed some extremely severe blue light clipping that goes on in VLog at any white balance and at any ISO. Something extremely nasty is going on with LED light tests. I have seen this in Sony SLog as well, but this is incredibly bad. I'm calling it "Blue Hole Sun"!

Can anybody identify what in the Hell is going here?...Andrew?...Anybody?

In looking at the scopes, it seems that its not really so much a "blue" problem. Its more acurate to say that it's the absence of red and green!  The red and green channels somehow get "notched out"...leaving blue to linger all by itself. 

This is a real problem on Sony sensors and has been arround for years. Is this more evidence that Panasonic is buying a Sony sensor on the S1?

Anyway....somehow, blue light in shadows triggers red and green channels to "die" in those blue light areas, leaving a solid blue cast to fill in the red and green "gaps".

Absolutely bizarre!

Has anyone had a chance to compare V-Log to HLG on the S1?

Is the dynamic range of V-log much better than HLG? And how about colors after conforming them to rec 709?

Anyone has done or seen some comparisons?
On the GH5-s HLG was actually better than V-LOGL in terms of color accuracy and dynamic range, so I wonder if it's the same on this camera.

59 minutes ago, Stab said:

On the GH5-s HLG was actually better than V-LOGL in terms of color accuracy and dynamic range, so I wonder if it's the same on this camera.

I felt the same way... 

I am still waiting for the upgrade key, i will upload some test footages once I have upgraded.

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

So, this auto slowmo feature is pissing me off pretty much. No chance to set ISO, aperture or shutter speed. Sets camera automatically to 125 shutter for 125fps, dfq, shouldn't you have twice the framerate? At least they could add shutter degrees...

That's incredibly stupid. 

5 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

That's incredibly stupid. 

Yeah definitely the main downside of the camera. Basically unusable for high framerate stuff, they may as well have not even included it. At least exposure compensation can be used to somewhat control exposure, but it's just ridiculous that a $2500 camera doesn't have full manual controls in every mode. 

I haven't really even been using the 60p either, until I get the V-Log upgrade, the dynamic range is just too limited in anything other than HLG, which is limited to 24/25/30p. I really like the camera, but it definitely has some limitations. We'll see about the S1H, but it will also be much more expensive. 

Alright, I used the S1 today for the first time on a wedding shoot and it wasn't good. It failed on me three times!

This is strange and unacceptable. So, 2 times today the camera looked like it finished writing the recorded clip to the card but it actually didn't. When I tried to press the record button to record a new clip, nothing happened. When I tried to turn it off it said 'writing to card'. But it didn't actually do anything and it just kept saying that for a minute. The only way to get back to shooting was to pull the battery and this led to a loss of the clip. 20 clips later, this happened again. And again, a while later something similar happened only this time it did show the red indicator on (showing that it is writing the current clip to the card) but it actually couldn't finalise it. Again, battery pull was the only option.

Now, I have been shooting with the GH3, GH5 and GH5-s for years and this has never happened to me. Only something similar a couple of times with the GH5 when I changed to HFR modes. I use the same Sandisk SD cards as I used with the GH5 and GH5-s (Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB write speeds) and this should be sufficient as the S1 records at the same bitrate and resolution (150 mbps).

Additional info:

- I was shooting 4k 50 fps (in APS-C mode)
- I had an external monitor connected through HDMI
- I had an external mic connected through the mic socket
- The clips I was recording were pretty short, about 20-30 secs in duration
- No XQD card was present in the camera
- Weather conditions were normal.
- Firmware 1.2 (with V-LOG activated)
- Lens used: Sigma 18-35 with Nikon mount on dumb novoflex adapter

I basically used the exact same gear and setup as I do pretty much every week with the GH5 and GH5-s. Do with this info what you please. But I am pretty disappointed. I can't trust the camera anymore and I was deliberately stopping recording and starting again during important moments to be sure I couldn't lose a complete event. Yes, of course I had 2 backup camera's rolling as well.

So has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I suspect that the HDMI-output to the monitor could be a cause, because I heard similar stuff about the GH5 when it was just released. Anyway, this is absolutely a bug and should be fixed by Panasonic as soon as possible. Hope we can get it fixed soon.

1 hour ago, Stab said:

Alright, I used the S1 today for the first time on a wedding shoot and it wasn't good. It failed on me three times!

This is strange and unacceptable. So, 2 times today the camera looked like it finished writing the recorded clip to the card but it actually didn't. When I tried to press the record button to record a new clip, nothing happened. When I tried to turn it off it said 'writing to card'. But it didn't actually do anything and it just kept saying that for a minute. The only way to get back to shooting was to pull the battery and this led to a loss of the clip. 20 clips later, this happened again. And again, a while later something similar happened only this time it did show the red indicator on (showing that it is writing the current clip to the card) but it actually couldn't finalise it. Again, battery pull was the only option.

Now, I have been shooting with the GH3, GH5 and GH5-s for years and this has never happened to me. Only something similar a couple of times with the GH5 when I changed to HFR modes. I use the same Sandisk SD cards as I used with the GH5 and GH5-s (Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB write speeds) and this should be sufficient as the S1 records at the same bitrate and resolution (150 mbps).

Additional info:

I basically used the exact same gear and setup as I do pretty much every week with the GH5 and GH5-s. Do with this info what you please. But I am pretty disappointed. I can't trust the camera anymore and I was deliberately stopping recording and starting again during important moments to be sure I couldn't lose a complete event. Yes, of course I had 2 backup camera's rolling as well.

So has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I suspect that the HDMI-output to the monitor could be a cause, because I heard similar stuff about the GH5 when it was just released. Anyway, this is absolutely a bug and should be fixed by Panasonic as soon as possible. Hope we can get it fixed soon.

This same thing happened to me one time with the original firmware. The camera was writing to XQD and SD (Sandisk 256 SD and Sony 128 XQD) card at the same time and basically froze. I had pull the battery and restart the camera. Never happened again and the camera has been great on 1.2 with VLog now.

Wow that’s concerning. Well, I’ve noticed when using only an XQD card, I record very short 10-20 second clips in 4K v-log 10-bit 150mpbs, the camera takes 10-20 seconds to finish writing to the card. It completely locks the camera up which is super frustrating. Never seen this on any other DSLM with SD cards. Really weird as this is the XQD card with vastly faster write speeds! I’m on v1.2 as well. 

2 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

Wow that’s concerning. Well, I’ve noticed when using only an XQD card, I record very short 10-20 second clips in 4K v-log 10-bit 150mpbs, the camera takes 10-20 seconds to finish writing to the card. It completely locks the camera up which is super frustrating. Never seen this on any other DSLM with SD cards. Really weird as this is the XQD card with vastly faster write speeds! I’m on v1.2 as well. 

Hmmm....my QXD card is blazing fast. I have written to XQD alone and with SD card at the same time too. What XQD do you have? Could it have defective cells in it?

9 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Did you format the cards in the camera?

Yes sir. Before every shoot.

Also, the camera seems to suffer from a lot of moiré. I've seen multiple people in suits yesterday and in many shots I see some form of moiré. And it isn't pretty. It's like a flickering red and blue pattern.

I've seen it in both 4k 50 fps 8-bit in APS-C mode, as well in 4k 25 fps 10-bit mode. I'm shooting Cine-D with sharpness turned all the way down.
Here is an example from 4k 25 fps 10-bit cine-D.

1.png

10 hours ago, Stab said:

Additional info:

well you kinda answer to yourself saying the gh5 had issues as well when it came out.

and still you love the gh5 now.

so maybe you should wait a little and you will love the S1 as much as you love the gh5 (andhopefully they'll do something about the slowmo)