Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

22 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

I was only told specifically about the S1 getting 4k raw over HDMI. I was not told anything about that S1H. You can be certain that it will have everything the S1 has plus even more. I can only assume it will go beyond 4k and do the full sensor width at about 6k. (it will at least do 4k raw in super35)

I think we will find out both at IBC next month.  

I think the S1 will hold off with RAW external until after the S1H is introduced.  That will hurt sales of the S1H and also confuse marketing. 

Have you compared the S1 to the Z6? 

Looks like I might need to save up for the S1. Are the S1native lenses good for cine manual focus? 

And the release a camera and then wait for additional features to be added will not last long if companies keep doing this.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

I think the S1 will hold off with RAW external until after the S1H is introduced.  That will hurt sales of the S1H and also confuse marketing. 

Have you compared the S1 to the Z6? 

Looks like I might need to save up for the S1. Are the S1native lenses good for cine manual focus? 

And the release a camera and then wait for additional features to be added will not last long if companies keep doing this.  

The S1 lenses I’ve used (24-105 and 50mm) are both great for manual focus. The S1 has the option to change focus pulling into a linear style (rather than by wire/speed) so it works great. 

7 hours ago, Otago said:

I'm not that up to speed with video quality yet, but ... 

I haven't seen any comparisons between the S1 and the GH5 (both with 10-bit 4:2:2) - is that because the 10-bit upgrade for the S1 hasn't made it's way out to people yet or is it because the difference is so massive that it's not worth comparing them ? 

I’m thinking not many folk have received their key. Looks like online stores like B&H are either out or haven’t even got stock in yet. 

19 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

I’m thinking not many folk have received their key. Looks like online stores like B&H are either out or haven’t even got stock in yet. 

I ordered mine from B&H not long after Panasonic announced this. I got into a strong but polite debate with a B&H representative. I told him about the Panasonic deal, he disagreed with me and said I was wrong. after 20min it was politely escalated with a B&H manager. They literally were NOT aware that Panny was doing this for free. B&H was adamant that I MUST pay the full price. I was adamant that it was FREE. I linked them to several articles including their own B&H Q&A section of their web site.

They told me they must call me back. The next day, they did! The apologized for giving me a hard time. Due to my insistence and escalation, B&H contacted Panasonic and verified that I was telling the truth. They put me on the waiting list and then got my code last week. It seems that I was the customer that informed B&H that they needed to do this. Panasonic had not even informed them yet about the free deal.

I have to say that this was NOT B&H's fault, I dont think. They were caught completely off guard by my text chat and phone call to them.  It was Panasonic that should have communicated this free deal to their largest dealer in the US in a better way. 

CT  

8 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

I think we will find out both at IBC next month. 

There are rumors that Panasonic has a camera related product announcement for the Sept - October time frame but not a new camera. Even possible MFT.

Im think it might be an announcement about S series with ProRes RAW via HDMI.

I really hope they include at least the GH5S in the ProRes RAW band wagon. I’m biased as a GH5S owner? but they need to put some vigor into that product. It’s a cine focused MFT camera after all.

@Cliff Totten thanks for letting them know about it! I had a similar experience just yesterday (largely due to my jealousy of lucky dogs such as yourself who have VLog when I do not haha) but I called B&H, got escalated to a different manager, and spent a very long time on hold before — gratefully — being informed that I am indeed on the waiting list. Here's hoping they get them out fast! 

1 hour ago, Parker said:

@Cliff Totten thanks for letting them know about it! I had a similar experience just yesterday (largely due to my jealousy of lucky dogs such as yourself who have VLog when I do not haha) but I called B&H, got escalated to a different manager, and spent a very long time on hold before — gratefully — being informed that I am indeed on the waiting list. Here's hoping they get them out fast! 

I dont want to tease you,...BUT!  When your VLog comes in, forget everything you have seen in your S1 thus far. Just forget that stuff.  VLog makes it a completely brand new camera! You will understand what I mean when you get yours! 

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Dear S1 owners, does any of you use CANON FD glass?

I was wondering if it's possible to connect FD's with an adapter like this to the MC-21 adapter. I'm not sure if the flange distance will be correct or not, does any of you have any experience? Thanks for sharing!

You can just use an FD to L adapter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862542584.html

17 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Dear S1 owners, does any of you use CANON FD glass?

I was wondering if it's possible to connect FD's with an adapter like this to the MC-21 adapter. I'm not sure if the flange distance will be correct or not, does any of you have any experience? Thanks for sharing!

maybe you stay in Europe first!!!   https://c7adapters.com/en

Sorry guys,

17 pages of "how cool is this camera" best cine mirrorless ever, blablabla, and NOT one mention to the devastating moire??

I m an early adopter of the S1, it's a great machine (even if, when looking for cinematic images i choose my bmpcc4k) BUT the moire is killing me. When working with it i found myself always scared of shirts and jackets, just like in the early 90'. Every interview is a dice roll, striped shits, tartan, all brings moire in the footage. Even walls made of bricks, or decorated tiles scares me with this camera. I hoped It could be solved in the last updates, but it's not. So, i m selling the camera.

Strange, I have not noticed any moire in mine at all. Do you have your sharpness turned all the way up?

This a a highly detailed 4k image. If you are watching that on a 4k monitor, you should be fine. If you are watching it downscaled on a non-4k monitor, you could see aliasing....but that problem exists with ANY 4k camera not being watched in 4k.

You can always soften your image if you want.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Mahownie said:

Sorry guys,

17 pages of "how cool is this camera" best cine mirrorless ever, blablabla, and NOT one mention to the devastating moire??

LOL. It's not the camera.

What problem with your computer / display do you have?

What player did you see the moire in?

19 hours ago, Mahownie said:

Every interview is a dice roll, striped shits, tartan, all brings moire in the footage. Even walls made of bricks, or decorated tiles scares me with this camera.

Just so we know, is this with 4k24p, 4k30, 4k60 or 1080p, and using FF or APS-C mode?

Never noticed any moire myself.

OT, but I just have to say it. People, get the Sigma 14-24 2.8 either Canon mount with MC-21 or the new L iteration which has different internals and is much lighter. Either way, it is amazing with the S1-- especially w/ flat or neutral color profile. My new favorite lens and my 40mm 1.4 Art is no slouch, probably the sharpest lens I own, but that 14-24... wow! Seems just as sharp and probably sharper than many a prime crazy as that sounds. Will have to post samples...

And that orchestral footage above is stunning @ ISO 6400!

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

LOL. It's not the camera.

What problem with your computer / display do you have?

What player did you see the moire in?

Just to solve the mystery of the moire, someone with the S1 should shoot something where you're guaranteed jumping or dancing  moire (like pin stripes or pocket fences). That should put the debate to rest.