Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

28 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im sorry if our discussion made it sound as if we where putting down the work you do. That was never my (and I suspect anyone else) intention.
It was merely a side discussion about how I have huge respect for you guys shooting weddings but that Im at the same time very glad I don't have/need to make them. Because they are simply not my cup of tea to watch and/or make.

Thanks Mattias, for explain it.

For me film weedings are the base of my work and i like to capture emotions and all what happens ( sometimes i have to gather up to not cry in some situations )

But i understand completely, that is not for everyone  ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, omega1978 said:

For me film weedings are the base of my work and i like to capture emotions and all what happens ( sometimes i have to gather up to not cry in some situations )

Yeah bro I wasn't commenting on your work. Most couples like the type of stuff you do. That's the type of weddings I usually shoot as well. 

Being someone who shoots that stuff all the time though it doesn't really excite me. The reason I'd want it is just to be able to look back on the day years later and see it. But yeah short wedding videos are much more fun to make and edit. Doing those full length 2 hour cuts is a nightmare. 

In case you didn't quite catch it, my comment was just a little joke around a misspelling in your post, meant as fun ? .

Just don't cry more than your client. ;)

Also not for me to do, but I appreciate seeing this work since it is about as "high-stakes" for a videographer as it gets.

So @omega1978, could you say a bit about how it performs for you? Are you using manual focus or autofocus and how is the latter working in these changing situations? Is the camera limiting you and how? How do you have it set up (are you doing photo and video or strictly video)? etc. All this could be helpful for event shooters in general, which I am from time to time.

Also, on the current topic, have you noticed moire in your filming? 

@Walter H thank you !

I am working mostly manual focus, and use the Af only when i need tracking or to find the focus point in critical situation and then switch back to manual( there the S1 is very good with the Eye AF ). continuos tracking works only good when 1 person is in scene and the background is blurry ( thing that on weeding is not often )., maybe works better with lenses that have 1.5 aperture . I have only the 24-105 and manual Samyangs. I wait for the Sigma L- Mount lineup.

My setup is simple, monopod with manfrotto head on a Hijib belt with 20000mah powerbank under, Rode Micro and variable nd filter.

With a display loop i work sometimes handheld, dual ibis is very stable and give a good floating look

i have shoot foto for first communion with 60 kids, 2 hours , 1100 foto, 5 out of focus( with the Eye AF ) I think is not a bad result with the kids the always moving and the church was very dark

20 minutes ago, omega1978 said:

@Walter H thank you !

I am working mostly manual focus, and use the Af only when i need tracking or to find the focus point in critical situation and then switch back to manual( there the S1 is very good with the Eye AF ). continuos tracking works only good when 1 person is in scene and the background is blurry ( thing that on weeding is not often )., maybe works better with lenses that have 1.5 aperture . I have only the 24-105 and manual Samyangs. I wait for the Sigma L- Mount lineup.

My setup is simple, monopod with manfrotto head on a Hijib belt with 20000mah powerbank under, Rode Micro and variable nd filter.

With a display loop i work sometimes handheld, dual ibis is very stable and give a good floating look

i have shoot foto for first communion with 60 kids, 2 hours , 1100 foto, 5 out of focus( with the Eye AF ) I think is not a bad result with the kids the always moving and the church was very dark

Since you mention you are using Samyang lenses, can you help me with the question I posted yesterday ? :

"For the S1 + MC21 owners : do you have a manual lens with contactors to try, like a samyang/rokinon ? I am debating between a 14mm f2.8, 20mm 1.8, and a IRIX 15mm f2.4. Both samyang lenses are available with or without contactors and aperture control ("AE" in the name of the lens).
I ask because I read several persons having problems with a Nikon Z6 and FTZ adaptor + samyang lens WITH contactors. They were forced to tape the contactors on the lens to avoid wild behavior. I wonder if it could be the same with MC 21+ S1... In that case, I would opt for a non-contactors version.
I found a big list of compatibility, but no samyang/rokinon : https://www.tttphotography.com/sigma-mc-21-ef-l-lens-adapter-compatibility/
"

Many thanks for your help :) !!

1 hour ago, omega1978 said:

@Geoff_L i have only manual Samyangs without any contacts and simple manual adapter. Sorry ..

OK thanks for you answer ! I will opt for your way and buy a simple manual adapter too (and a MC21 for Canon lenses). It is not very known, I believe, but the manual Samyang lenses exists both with and without electronic contacts, the former allowing aperture control and auto exposure. The price is different, and potential issues with smart adapters exists.

Do you mind sharing your adapter model ? Thank you !

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

Do you mind sharing your adapter model ? Thank you !

I got this cheap and cheerful one off Amazon for £26 and it works perfectly fine for me.

The 50mm lens tests that I did at the weekend in the lens thread were all done using it on my SL and it handled the additional stacking of CY>EOS, F>EOS and M42>EOS adapters with no problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QMVVWV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I got this cheap and cheerful one off Amazon for £26 and it works perfectly fine for me.

The 50mm lens tests that I did at the weekend in the lens thread were all done using it on my SL and it handled the additional stacking of CY>EOS, F>EOS and M42>EOS adapters with no problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QMVVWV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perfect, thanks ! Will glue one on my next Samyang lens :)

17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have the same adapter and works fine

Anyone with the MC-21 gotten the touchscreen AF-S to work? With the Canon 20mm f/2.8 the box moves but won’t actually focus unless I hit the shutter or AF on button. Tried in Lumix Sync app and same sort of thing where box moves with no focusing. Videos I’ve seen and the manual led me to believe a single tap would trigger the actual focus. Could be my Canon lens maybe? 

Alright guys....[sigh]....it's possible that I have found a chink in the S1's VLog armor: (a gaping hole maybe)

I noticed some extremely severe blue light clipping that goes on in VLog at any white balance and at any ISO. Something extremely nasty is going on with LED light tests. I have seen this in Sony SLog as well, but this is incredibly bad. I'm calling it "Blue Hole Sun"!

Can anybody identify what in the Hell is going here?...Andrew?...Anybody?

1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

Alright guys....[sigh]....it's possible that I have found a chink in the S1's VLog armor: (a gaping hole maybe)

I noticed some extremely severe blue light clipping that goes on in VLog at any white balance and at any ISO. Something extremely nasty is going on with LED light tests. I have seen this in Sony SLog as well, but this is incredibly bad. I'm calling it "Blue Hole Sun"!

Can anybody identify what in the Hell is going here?...Andrew?...Anybody?

seem to have flicker too

2 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

It could be the LUT that was used to get to rec 709?

No LUT. This is a direct upload straight from the file from the camera!

The flicker comes from the LED frequency mismatch and the sensor scan. Remember, in real life, the blue light looks perfectly normal to the human eye. It looks normal in rec709 and HLG camera profiles too. It's only whacked out in VLog!

Here is the direct file off the card. All I did was rename it and upload to YouTube. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/juxrx1wahh3ny7f/Lumix S1 VLog 640 ISO Blue Hell.MOV?dl=0