Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

Just took delivery of this(brand new Sigma 14-24 f2.8 for l-mount). I needed a convenient wide angle for landscape, astro and aurora photo, and wild field "documentary" plan for video.

The growing thread (for the Sony mount version) on the fredmiranda forum suggests this is one of the most spectacular wide angle lens. Some guys compare it to their Zeiss prime, others ditch their Sony G.

Can't wait to try it. Oh, and "only", 795gr... well balanced with the S1.

20190828_185115.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

Just took delivery of this(brand new Sigma 14-24 f2.8 for l-mount). I needed a convenient wide angle for landscape, astro and aurora photo, and wild field "documentary" plan for video.

The growing thread (for the Sony mount version) on the fredmiranda forum suggests this is one of the most spectacular wide angle lens. Some guys compare it to their Zeiss prime, others ditch their Sony G.

20190828_185115.jpg

I'm in search for the same lens. I need it for real estate photography. 

Can you post a sample in raw from a room, with a 3 exposure bracketing. Thanks ?

After receiving yet another email from B&H that they're still waiting on the DMW-SFU2 Lumix S1 Filmmaker V-Log Upgrade Software Keys from Panasonic I decided last week to take matters into my own hands and reach out to Panasonic directly to inquire as to the hold up...

Several attempts (going back to last Thursday) to get through their phone system resulted in dead-ends as I encountered "Please call back during normal business hours" messages...those call attempts made during their "normal business hours"! Haw!

Well, good fortune shone today as I just got off the phone with a Supervisor at Panasonic USA's Customer Support line (800 211 7262) who informs (after some prodding for a specific date or time estimate) that Panasonic will have their backlog of B&H Customer DMW-SFU2 codes delivered to B&H by the end of September.

I can't say where hearing that I might have to wait up to yet another month+ came as particularly happy news considering that I purchased the camera back in the Spring (early May), watched their Summer (July) V-Log release promise blow on by like a runaway train, and now, hopefully, I might be able to make some Autumn (late September/early October) shooting plans? Oofah.

Well, "shame on me" as the saying goes, lesson learned I'll not be giving Panasonic the benefit of my being an early-adopter again.

Oop, almost forgot the punchline...I'm still waiting for my 3-year Extended Warranty confirmation from them, as well, the Supervisor also informed that that takes them at least 60-days to process! Ahahahah!

:/

Jimmy G

8 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

After receiving yet another email from B&H that they're still waiting on the DMW-SFU2 Lumix S1 Filmmaker V-Log Upgrade Software Keys from Panasonic I decided last week to take matters into my own hands and reach out to Panasonic directly to inquire as to the hold up...

Can see how that is frustrating. I don't fully understand why panasonic made regional differences on how to obtain the DMW-SFU2 upgrade. Nordic customers just had to go to a specific campaign url and sign a form then 2-3 business days later we received the key by e-mail.

8 hours ago, andjo said:

Can see how that is frustrating. I don't fully understand why panasonic made regional differences on how to obtain the DMW-SFU2 upgrade. Nordic customers just had to go to a specific campaign url and sign a form then 2-3 business days later we received the key by e-mail.

I'm a fan of success, and I like to encourage those around me to those ends. Regarding this release, Panasonic seemed excited and eager to get these tools into folks' hands back in the Spring and I was encouraged that their energy and commitment would see them releasing their tools in a timely fashion, perhaps even beating their own timelines and getting things out earlier than anticipated. (Yeah, I'm that much of a sap!)

We performed our seasonal nature documentation with the same equipment as the past 2-years using 2 of their FZ1000's along with an a6300 and a7s II and last-year's addition G9 (the S1 relegated to mostly photo-only), fingers were crossed to be able dive into V-Log shooting for late-season mating and nesting work and pre-dawn/post-dusk low-light wildlife shooting, all of those plans eventually scrapped one-by-one as the calendar pages flipped over. A heavy gear investment on our end, a season lost, yet another effort at rooting for commercial success (for Panasonic in this case) wasted.

I'm not sure what to make of their "regional differences"...case in point, several years ago Panasonic pulled out of the U.S. market with their televisions (so much for plug-and-play using their HLG Photo Mode here in the "States") for reasons unknown, and after this past week's encounters with their Customer Support group (there is more to my previous post's story than told, I was being kind) I began to have my suspicions as to just how well their U.S. operations were being run...great product, great front persons, horrendous website (i.e. selling high end camera gear alongside shavers, microwaves and vacuum cleaners?!)...

LUMIX S1 Body, Digital Mirrorless Camera with 24.2MP MOS Full Frame, L-Mount Lens Compatible - DC-S1BODY - Panasonic US:

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DC-S1BODY.html

...Customer Support, um, "in need of exam", and now this bizarre (IMHO) sit-around-and-wait delivery mechanism for a firmware upgrade?!

A puzzlement at best and I wish the company best success in solving their problems. ;)

Truth is the S1 is an amazing camera for our needs (fabulous DR and low light performance, buh-bye a7s II, haw!) and I'm thrilled to have it in our lineup...it would be nice to use it for the "Full V-Log" reasons it was purchased.

:) JG

Edit: timeline accuracy, grammar

On 8/28/2019 at 8:13 PM, omega1978 said:

I'm in search for the same lens. I need it for real estate photography. 

Can you post a sample in raw from a room, with a 3 exposure bracketing. Thanks ?

Yes sure, I will try tomorrow ! Did not have time to really test the lens yet (more than a hands on try), but, judging by what I see on the lcd screen, it indeed seems to be quite awesome.
Can't wait to try it thinking I am Lubezki (before reviewing my footage ahah)  ? !

Perfect ! What have you pay for the lens? in europe best price i have found  € 1489 ? 

7 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

Yes sure, I will try tomorrow ! Did not have time to really test the lens yet (more than a hands on try), but, judging by what I see on the lcd screen, it indeed seems to be quite awesome.
Can't wait to try it thinking I am Lubezki (before reviewing my footage ahah)  ? 

On 8/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, Geoff_L said:

20190828_185115.jpg

46 minutes ago, omega1978 said:

Perfect ! What have you pay for the lens? in europe best price i have found  € 1489 ? 

Found a "week-end" deal on one of the biggest French store : starting price was around 1500€, and I paid around 1300€ ! Considering that I firstly bought 2 wide angle prime lenses to try with the S1, in EF mount + sigma MC21 adapter, the total price was around 1100€... I immediately returned them, as with the Sigma I got a lighter setup, no adapter, weather-sealing, and better performance than those 2 primes !

Hi everyone !

I wonder which profil you would use for very lowlight situations (in fact, night shot of northern lights, between iso 12800 and 51200) ?

CineD seems to be quite good in lowlight. Right now I'm trying HLG, an I will compare it to CineD.

I have never played too much with LOG, so S1 + VLOG is my big first. I already understand that I won't use it in lowlight (I tried, to test ? ).

On 8/30/2019 at 1:48 AM, nathlas said:

Try compare new 14-24mmL mount  with previous one of EF mount( which was best wide angle zoom along with Canon 16-35mm F2,8 III) on a MC21 if you have the opportunity please.

Ah sorry, I do not have the opportunity to do that. I'll share some stills this week-end, maybe it wilk help you.

1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

Thank you for sharing, this is beautiful ! Could you share some advice on how you exposed VLOG (zebra etc.) ? Thanks !

hey.
Appreciate it.

Dynamic range on this camera is incredible so it's actually way harder to under- or overexpose than let's say a GH5.
I usually just keep exposure around 0 and make sure nothing clips. ;)

49 minutes ago, Mike Mgee said:

@deezid So what are your thoughts on the BMPCC4K vs the S1?

Overall I prefer the S1 over the Pocket 4K in everything but codecs.

The image is smoother and has more detail to it. Colorscience is ahead of its competition as well as dynamic range.

The 10 bit codec doesn't have any serious issues. Colorgrading works flawlessly.

But the S1(H) has a serious problem: Blue and yellow color clipping which unlike the red clipping on the P4K cannot be recovered in post because there's no more data left.

Prepare yourself for lots of reshoots. :(

14 minutes ago, deezid said:

Overall I prefer the S1 over the Pocket 4K in everything but codecs.

The image is smoother and has more detail to it. Colorscience is ahead of its competition as well as dynamic range.

The 10 bit codec doesn't have any serious issues. Colorgrading works flawlessly.

But the S1(H) has a serious problem: Blue and yellow color clipping which unlike the red clipping on the P4K cannot be recovered in post because there's no more data left.

Prepare yourself for lots of reshoots. :(

What about the s1 vs the 6k?