Jump to content

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

True but there is a Ton of old, real old MF Nikkors laying around that will be a hell of a lot better suited for Video work for peanuts to buy. And they Ought to work really well with the new adapter. So it is not like you Have to buy these new lenses.  Sure for Photos the new ones might be the way you want to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ken Wheeler, rabidly anti-Sony, who’s shot with the D850 and owns a ton of Nikon glass, would unhesitatingly recommend the a7 III over the Z7. If indeed there is an echo chamber, strange that some of the harshest criticism should come from the very customers Nikon is courting - Nikon shooters.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Ken Wheeler, rabidly anti-Sony, who’s shot with the D850 and owns a ton of Nikon glass, would unhesitatingly recommend the a7 III over the Z7. If indeed there is an echo chamber, strange that some of the harshest criticism should come from the very customers Nikon is courting - Nikon shooters.

I dont really find it 'strange' at all (well Ken Wheeler is obvious strange but that is different.)

The D850 user with 20 DSLR lenses tends to believe he has the best camera system out there (and may well be right.) Generally speaking I doubt they think that the Z7 brings anything to the party as they probably dont do video. They consider mirrorless cameras too small (unergonomic) and little more than consumer toys. And their worst nightmare is a successful Z7 - because it means that Nikon will increasing direct resources into the Z system and neglect DSLR system. And ultimately a successful Z system will reduce the resale value of their D850 system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all due respect, Rob, I seriously doubt Nikon users feel threatened by the Z cameras. Not a single reviewer I know of voiced any concern over Nikon abandoning DSLR shooters. And it is not because he considers the Z cameras toys that Ken finds much to criticize - things like EVF blackout, laggy touch screen, no pins for a vertical grip, single card slot, chintzy build quality of the lenses, and so on are what bother him. And Ken is hardly the first Nikon shooter to point out some of these missed opportunities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members

A guy that gets coughed stealing other photographers photos and passing them on as his own and that makes three part "reviews" the same afternoon as he receives a camera. I don't know if I find that all that reliable.

But ok for arguments sake, if Ken is in fact 100% correct and his advice is good. Then that means that the A7iii is the worst camera made and no one should ever buy it.

Personally I believe thats incorrect, I think the A7iii is a fine camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

True but there is a Ton of old, real old MF Nikkors laying around that will be a hell of a lot better suited for Video work for peanuts to buy. And they Ought to work really well with the new adapter. So it is not like you Have to buy these new lenses.  Sure for Photos the new ones might be the way you want to go.

The incompatibility with other lens brands due to the long "F mount" flange distance is also vanquished,there are some great old manual focus

lenses Minolta,Pentax,Miranda ,M42 mount etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I don't understand why almost all of their native mirrorless mount lenses are going to be f/1.8. They will probably also cost as much as the dslr 1.4 versions. This alone made me look the other way. 

1.4 lenses are usually either large (Sigma Art, Otus, Canon 35mm) or have to be stopped down significantly for stellar performance (Canon 50mm). There seems to be a trend to make slower lenses that are optimized for shooting wide open. I welcome this trend, but it sure would have been nice if they could have priced them close to the Canon 50mm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's called the angry photographer for something lol.. he ripped the A7III a lot harder in his overzealous 3 part review.. it should be worth mentioning he was already dissing the Z cameras before they were even announced. it seems like indeed a lot of Nikon DSLR shooters have had a negative reaction towards the camera ever since the new mount was announced. The pro body shooters got even more worked up when the mode dial, single card slot info came out.. justifiably so i guess.

But it should be noted most of these reviewers are photographers. most of them know or care little about video.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Four days after the announcement, the a7 III is selling better than the Z6 and Z7 at Amazon. Google trends appears to confirm the a7 III is more popular than the new Nikon mirrorless cameras.

source

erm, i've not even seen any footage yet, or hands on reviews.  I for one kinda think thats a good idea before shelling the moolah

Getting a bit fed up of all the wankspittle from youtubers who also havent seen any footage yet, or handled the thing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
32 minutes ago, Django said:

But it should be noted most of these reviewers are photographers. most of them know or care little about video.

I think that this is a very good point and its interesting to compare the (lack) of negative, if any, reaction from video people to the "battery grip" for the Z7 being literally just a battery pack without shutter release, AF On and navigation stick etc compared to the "WTF??!" reaction from photographers.

The anger from the angry fella has a bit to do with Nikon trailing this camera like it would be something game changing when in reality its just ended up, from the photo perspective at least, as being something game joining. 

He is also very angry that he has found himself in full agreement with the views of some of his nemeses like Jared Polin and the Northrups ;)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

-Integration with Atomos recorders for easy on set workflow


Yup, the fact a compact 5" and very affordable 4K recorder is coming out at the same time does significantly increase the appeal of the Z6!
 

6 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I dont really find it 'strange' at all (well Ken Wheeler is obvious strange but that is different.)

The D850 user with 20 DSLR lenses tends to believe he has the best camera system out there (and may well be right.) Generally speaking I doubt they think that the Z7 brings anything to the party as they probably dont do video. They consider mirrorless cameras too small (unergonomic) and little more than consumer toys. And their worst nightmare is a successful Z7 - because it means that Nikon will increasing direct resources into the Z system and neglect DSLR system. And ultimately a successful Z system will reduce the resale value of their D850 system.


Those are pretty good points Robert, and could explain some of the reactions we've seen.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/31/2018 at 6:37 AM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

So, beyond all the Chicken Little reactions and  a subpar press release from Nikon (creating a crazy echo chamber of negativity), what I'm seeing is:

-A well respected manufacturer with good qc and customer service

-Small mirrorless body with adaptable mount

-Full frame 24mp with clean 4K

-10-bit HDMI out

-Flat and Log profiles (basically the Nikon equivalent of CLog1 and CLog 3)

-A few essential lenses, with every logical core option already roadmapped

-IBIS that, by all accounts, bests Sony's

-Great battery life (more than 2 hours of straight 4K)

-Solid ergos, on par with other mirrorless manufacturers

-Natural color science without any major problems (blue channel clipping, greenish skin, greens shifting towards blue, magenta cast, etc)

-Integration with Atomos recorders for easy on set workflow

All baggage, brand politics, and bad press strategy aside, it ticks a LOT of boxes for me. Gonna be looking hard at the Z6 when it drops.

Z7 battery life is only last about 100min 4K continuous shooting,about the same level as  second generation sony A7

IBIS is  not 5.5 stops as A7R3

About ergonomics, Z7 is only tow dials,but A7R3、A73 has three 

sony also has gamma assist,proxy record,pro PP file

So nikon still need a lot of catch ups

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...I can kind of see that AF-D lenses are devalued for me if I am getting a Z6. They are great for hammering nails in and do look fantastic but unless there will be a af screw adapter, mehhhh.

I do feel that the startup lens selection is kind of rubbish. I would have much more preferred a bunch of 2.8 or f2s pancake thingys. Also why did they not go with a 24-120 f4, Jesus Christ.

Cant wait for someone to properly review it.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some footage from the Nikon Z7

The ISO test in the end is interesting. Okay, static camera, boring scene, but check the white wall at the far end. Above ISO3200 all of the detail are gone.... The noise reduction is very heavy but... the noise levels are high. Ok, this is the higher MP model.

Okay, the 120 fps sample is crap with lot of noise but it's indoors and probably high iso.

We will see how the Z6 can perform.

What do you think?

*sorry if it's already posted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Deadcode said:

Some footage from the Nikon Z7

The ISO test in the end is interesting. Okay, static camera, boring scene, but check the white wall at the far end. Above ISO3200 all of the detail are gone.... The noise reduction is very heavy but... the noise levels are high. Ok, this is the higher MP model.

Okay, the 120 fps sample is crap with lot of noise but it's indoors and probably high iso.

We will see how the Z6 can perform.

What do you think?

*sorry if it's already posted

You are basing your analysis on youtube video, a littlepremature no, I see youtube eating up the detail long before its codec would do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...