Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Sony Techno Geek Extraordinaire  Jim Kasson has looked into the striping issue pretty extensively and come up with some observations that are well worth reading if one is concerned about this. His findings were that the a7 III had striping as bad as the a9, and noted that despite the a9 and a7 III having similar striping, no one complains about the striping on the a9. He did find that the a7R III has less striping of the third-generation cameras.

https://blog.kasson.com/a7riii/sony-a7iii-pdaf-striping-faqs/

He isn't JUST a Sony techno geek.

He has posted in the new Nikon Z forum he is going to test the Z cameras as soon as he can.

I don't have an issue with Sony for Lenses or ergonomics but that applies to every camera I have used really (currently getting used to an old Canon DSLR until I get my Sony fixed).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

He makes a good point in the video.

If you compare it to other cameras delivering FF 10-bit 4K, then the Z6 is cheap. Very cheap. (Meaning, inexpensive, not poor quality).

My hope / dream / fantasy is that it will have all the dynamic range and color science the D750 had when shooting flat and nice 4K and great 1080p when shooting 8-bit internal.

5 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

He makes a good point in the video.

If you compare it to other cameras delivering FF 10-bit 4K, then the Z6 is cheap. Very cheap. (Meaning, inexpensive, not poor quality).

My hope / dream / fantasy is that it will have all the dynamic range and color science the D750 had when shooting flat and nice 4K and great 1080p when shooting 8-bit internal.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the cheapest option was US$33K! (Canon C700 FF)

Then the Kinefinity Mavo LF came out for "only" US$12K

And shortly after the Nikon Z6 for only US$2K!!!

Well, the a7s III is rumored (SR3) to have 10-bit, so even if I didn’t think 10-bit external is overhyped, I wouldn’t jump ship just yet.

My god those Nikon S lenses look like cheap-ass kit lenses too. And that $6,000 Noct trophy that not a single one of us can afford? Voigtlander E-mount lenses cost 1/6 the price and compare favorably to Zeiss Otus. And no, Voigtlander didn’t ‘give the finger’ to anybody - they just go about quietly doing what they do better than just about anyone else in the business  - designing some of the world’s most distinguished mechanical lenses with unique parameters at affordable prices. Even on micro four thirds, depth of field at f/.95 is too shallow as far as I’m concerned. Shooting portraits on full frame without eye AF, you’ll be lucky to get one out of five shots in focus! ? 

At the a7 III launch, acclaim was nearly universal, whereas the Z cameras have been met with everything from indifference to disappointment to anger - even among hardcore longtime Nikon users and vehemently anti-Sony photographers. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Up until a couple of weeks ago the cheapest option was US$33K! (Canon C700 FF)

Then the Kinefinity Mavo LF came out for "only" US$12K

And shortly after the Nikon Z6 for only US$2K!!! 

Yeah, I think there was just so much pressure / expectation that Nikon would make a camera that would be a grand slam and record 10-bit 4K 60p internally, that maybe the fact that it is the most affordable full frame 4K 10-bit camera was lost on people (like me).

Sony sort of have to go 10-bit on A7S3 or I just don't see what that model has to bring to the table vs A73. Keep in mind though, it will probably still cost +$3K and have very low MP count. It's a speciality camera, not really an all-rounder.

Nikon Z6 is still packing a lot of heat for 2 grand. Absolutely awesome to see confirmation the battery life way exceeds what was initially announced!

1000 shots / 2h10mn 4K ..with LCD on all the time! what was CIPA smoking when they rated it?!

8 minutes ago, Django said:

Absolutely awesome to see confirmation the battery life way exceeds what was initially announced!

1000 shots / 2h10mn 4K ..with LCD on all the time! what was CIPA smoking when they rated it?!

That is much more of a surprise to me that it is that good. My a6500 regularly takes about 100 more stills on it's dinky battery than my D750 took with its beefier battery. Of course, I shoot 95% of my stills in LiveView, and the D750 was a battery hog for me when shooting in liveview.  I could get about 450 stills on a single battery on my D750 shooting in liveview, and about 550-ish with the a6500 using LCD screen. (Apparently, the EVF of the a6500 takes up more power than the back LCD screen does.) On the other hand, the LCD screen of the D750 is much, MUCH better than that of the a6500, so not a surprise to me that it soaks up so much juice.

Anyway, good on Nikon for having good battery life.

6 hours ago, Django said:

Sony sort of have to go 10-bit on A7S3 or I just don't see what that model has to bring to the table vs A73. Keep in mind though, it will probably still cost +$3K and have very low MP count. It's a speciality camera, not really an all-rounder.

Rumor sites are saying new 24 megapixel quad pixel sensor. Possibly announced at IBC in two weeks.

I will take a great looking image with great skin tones any day over good spec sheet. As far as I am concerned,  Sony can put the best tech in the A7S III but if it's still classic color science and skin tones, then my search for a new camera hybrid camera will continue. I pre-ordered the Z6 and I look forward to first trying out the Z7 to see how I will like or not the Z6. I am keeping my eyes opened on the up coming Fuji XT-3. Canon, I am not holding my breath!  

2 hours ago, Django said:

I wouldn't place any bets at the moment.. i think Zeiss said it best:

Bildschirmfoto-2018-08-23-um-05.01.56.pn

It's also difficult which camera to buy this Autumn. So much news! Nikon & Canon mirrorles, Sony, Zeiss. Even Fuji ... hopefully X-H2 ...but that one will folow later. Nikon Z6 looks good and simular to my Samsung NX1. Biggest loser is Samsung who stepped out business now competition in mirrorless just started. Really exited what's going on with introductions and marketing strategies. Nikon seems to be the big winner. 

So, beyond all the Chicken Little reactions and  a subpar press release from Nikon (creating a crazy echo chamber of negativity), what I'm seeing is:

-A well respected manufacturer with good qc and customer service

-Small mirrorless body with adaptable mount

-Full frame 24mp with clean 4K

-10-bit HDMI out

-Flat and Log profiles (basically the Nikon equivalent of CLog1 and CLog 3)

-A few essential lenses, with every logical core option already roadmapped

-IBIS that, by all accounts, bests Sony's

-Great battery life (more than 2 hours of straight 4K)

-Solid ergos, on par with other mirrorless manufacturers

-Natural color science without any major problems (blue channel clipping, greenish skin, greens shifting towards blue, magenta cast, etc)

-Integration with Atomos recorders for easy on set workflow

All baggage, brand politics, and bad press strategy aside, it ticks a LOT of boxes for me. Gonna be looking hard at the Z6 when it drops.

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

So, beyond all the Chicken Little reactions and  a subpar press release from Nikon (creating a crazy echo chamber of negativity), what I'm seeing is:

-A well respected manufacturer with good qc and customer service

-Small mirrorless body with adaptable mount

-Full frame 24mp with clean 4K

-10-bit HDMI out

-Flat and Log profiles (basically the Nikon equivalent of CLog1 and CLog 3)

-A few essential lenses, with every logical core option already roadmapped

-IBIS that, by all accounts, bests Sony's

-Great battery life (more than 2 hours of straight 4K)

-Solid ergos, on par with other mirrorless manufacturers

-Natural color science without any major problems (blue channel clipping, greenish skin, greens shifting towards blue, magenta cast, etc)

-Integration with Atomos recorders for easy on set workflow

All baggage, brand politics, and bad press strategy aside, it ticks a LOT of boxes for me. Gonna be looking hard at the Z6 when it drops.

On top of all that, as a nikon shooter I get autofocus for free on all my existing glass :) plus nikon colour science, plus a workflow and presets that I've developed over 5 years that should slot in nicely.  I'm just wondering if z6+ my 14-24 will balance on my crane 2. eek