Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

You can’t judge skin tones in daylight. You’ve gotta shoot mixed lighting.

(Shoots mixed lighting).

You can’t judge Caucasian skin tones by those shots of Asians.

(Shoots Caucasians under mixed lighting).

You can’t judge skin tones with flat footage.

(Cranks up saturation).

Makeup?

?

Skin tones look fine to me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/4/2018 at 8:39 PM, jonpais said:

You can’t judge skin tones in daylight. You’ve gotta shoot mixed lighting.

(Shoots mixed lighting).

You can’t judge Caucasian skin tones by those shots of Asians.

(Shoots Caucasians under mixed lighting).

You can’t judge skin tones with flat footage.

(Cranks up saturation).

Makeup?

?

Skin tones look fine to me.

Yeah, I find the skin tones in your recent vids with the a7 III to look really good. On the other hand, I am the type of person who finds canon skin tones to look way to red (and I often try to reduce the red that the EOSHD profile has on my a6500 as well). Personally I am probably a big fan of the Fuji Eterna skin tones and Nikon skin tones.

On 9/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, Andrew Reid said:

The music video footage is pristine. But was it shot in APS-C or full frame mode?

If full frame from 46MP, then I am amazed. It's flawless. Not a hint of aliasing and even better than the D850.

Same question for the guy who posted the N-LOG clip for download in ProRes format. Was that full frame or APS-C?

What settings Jeff?

I wouldn't even consider the z7 for hybrid or video shooters. I would go for the Z6, even Nikon stated that the Z6 was more appropriate for video.

Amazing autofocus AF in low light in my opinion, well above my own personal use. I think for video it should be the same as photo as they share the same system.

38 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I wouldn't even consider the z7 for hybrid or video shooters. I would go for the Z6, even Nikon stated that the Z6 was more appropriate for video.

Amazing autofocus AF in low light in my opinion, well above my own personal use. I think for video it should be the same as photo as they share the same system.

So why more appropriate?

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

Exactly, so as we see more and more great Z7 videos that only gets me excited for the Z6!

Cheap *and* better. 

Win-win. 

Well, still on AF, here says:

"Both cameras are equipped with a Z bayonet, while the Z6 will receive a stabilized 5-axis sensor with a resolution of 24.5 MP and a 273-point focusing system, and the more advanced Z7 is a 45.7 MP sensor with a similar stabilization system and AF at 493 points."

https://www.diyphotography.net/nikon-z6-and-z7-specs-and-price-leaked-yes-they-have-5-axis-ibis/

Gee, I was always impressed by the HD image of the D750, later very impressed by the quality of the the 850s video in 4K. With Nikons new babies we get all that FF glory and Nikon colors and robust codec in external 10bit now and some new LOG format.

All that with IBIS and many mirrorless goodies in FF size. I´m super exited! Exited to see what you guys gonna do with it! :)

This channel has a whole series of test, some I would call torture test of the focus, low light etc. This is in video and photo mode. For me this is beyond the level I think I would use it. I don't know how other MILC autofocus work but for me it is quite impressive.

On 9/9/2018 at 1:05 PM, PannySVHS said:

Gee, I was always impressed by the HD image of the D750, later very impressed by the quality of the the 850s video in 4K. With Nikons new babies we get all that FF glory and Nikon colors and robust codec in external 10bit now and some new LOG format.

All that with IBIS and many mirrorless goodies in FF size. I´m super exited! Exited to see what you guys gonna do with it! :)

As a Nikon user it is a dream come true. So impatient to get a z6, the Nikon image was already so good, now getting all the goodies like great video autofocus, ibis etc will make it a killer system. I hope they rapidly get some apsc version and not leave it to the higher end version.

6 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

This channel has a whole series of test, some I would call torture test of the focus, low light etc. This is in video and photo mode. For me this is beyond the level I think I would use it. I don't know how other MILC autofocus work but for me it is quite impressive.

af looks up there with canon and sony so good news for those buying. 

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

Yes exactly, how is a camera meant to read your mind and know which face to follow? So this is perfectly good performance for automatic focus

On 9/9/2018 at 5:05 AM, PannySVHS said:

Nikon is the only camera maker I've never, ever owned.  I think I want a Z6 now after reading this thread.  It's like a more robust Sony with more lens options and better build quality / better colors.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:13 AM, Danyyyel said:

They said that all their new lens where design with video in mind. There are only haters that just want to spread all type of fud about Nikon and video. They have put speed setting for the AF in video where you can speed it up or down, this with 10 bit, ibis, Nlog etc. make for a very powerful package for video shooters. They even added a pin in their tripod mount, might seem mundane but try using a dslr or Mirrorless camera a whole day for pro work and you would see how anoying and distracting when your camera is always spinning. If even this they thought about, then they really took video very very seriously.

I can't believe they added the tripod pin.  That alone is almost worth buying the camera. ?  It's little touches like that make a product so much nicer to use.

I got confirmation from Nikon USA that the video bitrate is 144 Mbps, the same as the D850, and not 100 Mbps as reported by some media outlets.  That's good news!