Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

A I didn’t see what ISO this was shot at, that would interest me. 

The night shots are at 8000 ISO as stated in the video.

But the kicker is that the day shots were with Nikon flat profile @Geoff CB!

Martin writes: 

“Simon, the night shots are in N-log with Atomos Ninja Inferno. The day shots are in flat profile, captured internally.

Rolling shutter I haven’t noticed in these shots, but there surely will be substantial in faster panning - after all it’s a rolling shutter sensor.”

35 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I realize that. I like the clouds in the sky, the trees with the mist in the air, the fellow going for a swim - but I’m not seeing anything extraordinary or magical here. I didn’t see what ISO this was shot at, that would interest me. 

And sharpening algorithm tries to compete with my phone...

4 minutes ago, liork said:

When you watch it on a 4K screen, you see a lot of noise in night shots. Watching on a 1080p screen looks much smoother.

So, you have to judge through 4K screen.

It actually looks pretty bad, even the daylight shots. Nothing like what Fuji and Blackmagic are going to offer.

4 minutes ago, Castorp said:

Most final viewing doesn’t happen on a 4K screen. Just as a lot of music listening doesn’t happen on studio monitors. 

It is filmed in moon light. 

It was shot in ISO 8000 and thats what we judge. And the remarks about "most whatching is done on 1080p" is not relevanat because in the very near future, it will change.

1 minute ago, deezid said:

Nikon Fanboy?
What Nikon did here is as unimpressive in terms of footage as my phone or Zcam 2.
Digital looking af.

If you want to do some serious (non-digital looking) film work, Fuji and Blackmagic have way better options coming soon.

Stop with the name calling please. Most viewing is done on smartphone screens and that will be the case for the foreseeable future. 

It’s so weird that you judge the z6 pre pre pre production footage at 8.000 iso shot with the highly untested n-log profile so harshly. To my eyes it looks a world better than anything I’ve seen from a smaller sensor camera at those sensitivities. Most impressive is the fact that it seems to hold up extremely well with regards to dynamic range and color information even at 8.000.

Sure it’s got some noise, but do we even know if the footage was properly exposed according to the n-log gamma curve? Please take a fucking chill pill. I even doubt the BMPCC 4K will match the dynamic range in the day shots.

Just now, Castorp said:

Stop with the name calling please. Most viewing is done on smartphone screens and that will be the case for the foreseeable future. 

Sounds like an excuse why the Nikon Z6/Z7 might as well look as smartphone footage with better dynamic range and lowlight (well a bit). 
Btw. my GH5 looks better at ISO5000 than the Z6 in these examples at ISO8000 with its tiny Mft sensor...

2 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

It’s so weird that you judge the z6 pre pre pre production footage at 8.000 iso shot with the highly untested n-log profile so harshly.

Because it looks so harsh?

11 minutes ago, deezid said:

Nikon Fanboy?
What Nikon did here is as unimpressive in terms of footage as my phone or Zcam 2.
Digital looking af.

If you want to do some serious (non-digital looking) film work, Fuji and Blackmagic have way better options coming soon.

Just stop. The Fuji will have a problem with waxy skin at ISO above 800 (not very film like) and the Blackmagic looks lackluster to me, extremely digital looking as you call it, from what I’ve seen. And that tiny sensor won’t make anyone happy shooting above 400 ISO.

I did own the GH5 and would never ever use it above ISO 800. So please show me some of your ISO 5000 footage that looks so spectacular.