Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

I'm sure you guys can grade better, but I loved the footage

https://vimeo.com/290295765

That's some impressive looking footage, but there looked to be some serious stuck white pixels in the night shots.  I hope they get that ironed out in the final version.   It's such a PITA to have to kill those in a lot of shots.  Giving me flashbacks from the 5DmkII.

30 minutes ago, Towd said:

That's some impressive looking footage, but there looked to be some serious stuck white pixels in the night shots. 

That was specifically mentioned in the notes of the video by the uploader, that he had some stuck pixels but that is because he had a very early pre production model. So this is of no great concern to me. 

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That was specifically mentioned in the notes of the video by the uploader, that he had some stuck pixels but that is because he had a very early pre production model. So this is of no great concern to me. 

There is a lot I like in what I'm seeing with this camera.  And the skin tones look pretty solid in torchlight and daylight.   Hopefully the rolling shutter isn't too bad even if it takes going to the crop mode to control it.

I just absolutely hate dealing with stuck pixels.  So hopefully you are right and it will be fixed for the final release.  Just something that really popped out to me even if it was being shot at high ISOs.  I may wait until I see some more tests before pulling the trigger.  But nice to see some Z6 footage.

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

A I didn’t see what ISO this was shot at, that would interest me. 

The night shots are at 8000 ISO as stated in the video.

But the kicker is that the day shots were with Nikon flat profile @Geoff CB!

Martin writes: 

“Simon, the night shots are in N-log with Atomos Ninja Inferno. The day shots are in flat profile, captured internally.

Rolling shutter I haven’t noticed in these shots, but there surely will be substantial in faster panning - after all it’s a rolling shutter sensor.”

35 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I realize that. I like the clouds in the sky, the trees with the mist in the air, the fellow going for a swim - but I’m not seeing anything extraordinary or magical here. I didn’t see what ISO this was shot at, that would interest me. 

And sharpening algorithm tries to compete with my phone...

4 minutes ago, liork said:

When you watch it on a 4K screen, you see a lot of noise in night shots. Watching on a 1080p screen looks much smoother.

So, you have to judge through 4K screen.

It actually looks pretty bad, even the daylight shots. Nothing like what Fuji and Blackmagic are going to offer.

4 minutes ago, Castorp said:

Most final viewing doesn’t happen on a 4K screen. Just as a lot of music listening doesn’t happen on studio monitors. 

It is filmed in moon light. 

It was shot in ISO 8000 and thats what we judge. And the remarks about "most whatching is done on 1080p" is not relevanat because in the very near future, it will change.

3 minutes ago, liork said:

It was shot in ISO 8000 and thats what we judge. And the remarks about "most whatching is done on 1080p" is not relevanat because in the very near future, it will change.

I watched in 1080p and it was still unacceptably noisy. 

1 minute ago, Castorp said:

BS

Nikon Fanboy?
What Nikon did here is as unimpressive in terms of footage as my phone or Zcam 2.
Digital looking af.

If you want to do some serious (non-digital looking) film work, Fuji and Blackmagic have way better options coming soon.