Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, deezid said:

Intentionally, since they were really noisy, and not that kind of nice noise you get on ARRI and Blackmagic cameras ?

WOW so you come here and tell us how "GH5 looks better at ISO5000 than the Z6 in these examples at ISO8000" and then you show us one example of your work where the blacks are completely clipped while in the Nikon one we can see a lot of detail in the shadows. In fact, that's the amazing thing in this footage is the dynamic range at such high ISO. Getting all those nuances from the moon/lights in the tent to the subtle mist in the mountains. Could you show us some footage of the GH5 shot at higher ISO with such nuance from the highlight of the moon/lamps in the tent to those misty shadows, even seeing the green of the grass like in this video. Everyone who has shot at night know how difficult it is to get either details from an artificial lamp or the surrounding nature. Generally you have to choose to expose from one or the other.

The last thing, before lecturing people and critisizing a beta camera that you have never used, try to ask before about things like noise removal and sharpening settings. What do you know the reason the guy sharpened it, I will give you one, perhaps he wanted his 1080p 120 fps footage to match a bit closer to the 4k one, for obvious reasons.

The last last thing before anyone make any assumption, the night footage was shot 8000 iso and above, it is written and the end of the film. So we might have 10-25 K iso or even more in there.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

The last last thing before anyone make any assumption, the night footage was shot 8000 iso and above, it is written and the end of the film. So we might have 10-25 K iso or even more in there.

Yes, I do wonder what was the highest ISO used in those shots. 
I'd love to see them try and do a super extreme example with the Z6 (or with a BMPCC4K/Terra4K/E2/GH5S/etc!), like this:

17 hours ago, Castorp said:

Most viewing is done on smartphone screens and that will be the case for the foreseeable future. 

I’m sorry, but that is the funniest comment I’ve read in the past 38 minutes. Like, we all might as well shoot with a potato then in that case. ?

Apart from the fact that filmmakers interested in this or any other camera will in all likelihood be viewing content on anything other than a smartphone.

Really and truly, this ‘most ppl this, most ppl that’ type of reasoning doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. ?

19 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Pretty pointless trying to judge noise levels off vimeo or youtube. 

True that.

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’m sorry, but that is the funniest comment I’ve read in the past 38 minutes. Like, we all might as well shoot with a potato then in that case. ?

Apart from the fact that filmmakers interested in this or any other camera will in all likelihood be viewing content on anything other than a smartphone.

Really and truly, this ‘most ppl this, most ppl that’ type of reasoning doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. ?

True that.

Didn’t somebody already make the potato joke? ??

I’m pleased to entertain you, but why would you shoot with a potato? Why not shoot with a camera with a beautiful image? 

Somebody said “you have to judge through 4K screen” which I  think is nonsense. That’s the context of my comment.

It is always good to remember to have some perspective. That’s all. 

1 hour ago, liork said:

This is a 4K camera so you have to judge it through a 4K screen. Any other way is a joke.

There is more accurate way:

"Resolution in frames grabbed from video shot at low ISO is 1042 LP/PH (96 percent of the theoretical maximum) and 972 LP/PH at high ISO  (90 percent)."

https://www.pdnonline.com/gear/cameras/mirrorless/nikon-z7-camera-review/

1 hour ago, liork said:

This is a 4K camera so you have to judge it through a 4K screen. Any other way is a joke.

If you want to peep, then yes.

As far as other things, like seeing the green in the moonlit grass, or how well balanced  the various light sources look in that video and how lovely the overall image looks, no you don’t need a 4K screen.

Happy peeping! 

For Color and dynamic range, you need a calibrated screen, and the Z6 looks nice indeed (most phone screens are far from calibrated). For Noise and details, you have to watch it on original resolution. Its not peeping, as noise get masked when you downscale to 1080p.

not too keen on the 1080 slow mo at the end of that vid.  And not 100% sold on the rest of it. It did look a bit glossy and over sharpened,  but for what I do it'll be fine.  The rate of development is slightly obscene. I dont make enough money to keep up with it ?  Its bonkers that if this camera had come out 3 months ago, there'd be way fewer doubters around. Now we're all like: no 10 bit internal 60fps or raw? meh. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Color reproduction ranking

This should ruffle some feathers. ?

Being too close to the colour standards on a chart is what got Sony into colour problems in the first place. It was a 100% science based approach when actually colour is also an art.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Being too close to the colour standards on a chart is what got Sony into colour problems in the first place. It was a 100% science based approach when actually colour is also an art.

Right, they are the most accurate according to the tests, but almost universally disliked. Hopefully, the a7s III will be ranked lower.