Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

My fingers are crossed they're just two cameras with two different sensor resolutions, with no surprising crippling of the Z6.

I don't think Nikon has done much of the way in "surprise crippling" have they? Look at the D5 vs D500, kinda is two cameras but with different sensors in it. They didn't really hold back on the D500 did they?

 

 

Other than the sensor, the main difference in between the Z6 & Z7 is the AF system: Z7 has 493 phase detect points vs 273 on the Z6.

It would appear on paper that with half the PDAF points, the Z6 AF could be significantly less accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Django said:

Other than the sensor, the main difference in between the Z6 & Z7 is the AF system: Z7 has 493 phase detect points vs 273 on the Z6.

It would appear on paper that with half the PDAF points, the Z6 AF could be significantly less accurate.

I think it has more to do with acquisition rate and the algorithm than the sheer amount of the points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Z7 or Z6 without 60p @ 4K (not even through the HDMI port in 2018 ?!) is a complete miss and will be a nonsense in 2019... It has the loveliest 1080p 120fps with flawless AF I've ever seen, though (E : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Django said:

Aside from the 1DX2, no other FF camera can currently do 4K60p.. internally or externally. Hardly a "complete miss" unless you are comparing to XT3/GH5 who are both crop sensors.

Sure, I am. With proper glass you can mimic FF look along a crop sensor. FF means too little apart higher resolution stills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

I think it has more to do with acquisition rate and the algorithm than the sheer amount of the points. 

I think AF point density is a lot more important than you may think in these particular MILC models as they are all line types.

That is why Canon went with a whooping 5,655 AF point number to ensure similar if not better performance to it's DSLR counterpart.

This recent Canon engineer interview from IR gives some interesting AF info relative to Z series:

In conventional phase-detection autofocus systems, autofocus points can be either "line" or "cross" type, depending on what orientations of subject detail they're sensitive to. Line-type points can only "see" subject detail oriented around one axis (horizontal or vertical), cross-type points can detect and respond to subject detail in either direction.

As is the case with the new Nikon Z7 and Z6 full-frame mirrorless cameras, the autofocus points in the EOS R are all horizontally-oriented line-type points, meaning they're sensitive only to subject detail in that direction. (The terminology can be a little confusing; horizontal points are sensitive to detail that's horizontal, meaning vertically-oriented objects. As an example, horizontal points can focus on picket fences, but not on window blinds.)

This seemed like a weakness to me, but when I asked the Canon engineers about it, they gave essentially the same answer the Nikon engineers had about the Z7: Thanks to the very high density of AF points, the chances of missing focus on a subject because it has no horizontal detail are very low. Even with a subject like window blinds, if the camera is the tiniest bit tilted relative to the subject, an edge of a slat (for instance) would cross an area covered by an AF point, letting the camera focus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If AF is a linear function, then the density of AF points on the Z6 is 3/4 that on the Z7, which doesn't sound as bad as "about half".  As the sensor density is about 8K rather than 6K that is about what you would need for the extra stills resolution. Does the Z7 even process data from all the focus points in full frame video? Maybe it skips some like it does with the pixel readout for the image. Maybe the AF points are a bit larger on the Z6, allowing more accuracy in low light.  There are various reasons not to worry about the Z6 until we have seen it at work.

One thing we can probably agree on is that Nikon made a bit of a pig's ear of the whole launch thing. Having failed to address the obvious user questions early on, the good news about video quality, low light performance, AF performance etc has taken a while to emerge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

If AF is a linear function, then the density of AF points on the Z6 is 3/4 that on the Z7, which doesn't sound as bad as "about half".  As the sensor density is about 8K rather than 6K that is about what you would need for the extra stills resolution. Does the Z7 even process data from all the focus points in full frame video? Maybe it skips some like it does with the pixel readout for the image. Maybe the AF points are a bit larger on the Z6, allowing more accuracy in low light.  There are various reasons not to worry about the Z6 until we have seen it at work.

One thing we can probably agree on is that Nikon made a bit of a pig's ear of the whole launch thing. Having failed to address the obvious user questions early on, the good news about video quality, low light performance, AF performance etc has taken a while to emerge!

I was just about to post to ask those more knowledgeable than I  that is possible to for the AF on the Z6 to be programmed to work the same as the Z7 using the less focus points on the Z6 sensor? 

You're right, I am sure it will depend if the Z7 is processing data from all the focus points in full frame video.

If Nikon is smart (which they were not very with the way they role out the Z6 & 7 announcements) they will have their people who have Z6s sent out more videos about the Z6 in the coming days especially as we're waiting for in 5 days for the Panasonic FF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Django said:

Other than the sensor, the main difference in between the Z6 & Z7 is the AF system: Z7 has 493 phase detect points vs 273 on the Z6.

It would appear on paper that with half the PDAF points, the Z6 AF could be significantly less accurate.

In video mode, the Z6 has less focus points than 273: "231 on-sensor PDAF points used for video In FX-based movie format".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Simon Young said:

The Z6 low light video Dreaming has been removed from Vimeo. Interesting... maybe Nikon were disappointed with the dead pixels 🙂

The Z6 seems to be staying under wraps for the time being. I guess if it gets launched with fully stable and optimised firmware then that might be a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...