Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

This german speaking dude has done the most extensive testing of the Z7 so far. He put the camera to work during two weeks. The talking head part in this video is shot with the S-lens, 35mm at f2.0. Focus sticks to his face like glue. It’s shot without an ND filter, hence the wonky motion cadence, in auto white balance and standard color (not flat).

He says he prefers the Canon and Fuji skin tones but that the Nikon is probably more accurate but that this footage might look strange because he’s very sunburnt after climbing mountains in Switzerland.

He’s praising the view finder and the lcd-screen, very responsive it seems, but he’s not too keen on the size of the house (too small) the size of the glass (too big albeit very sharp) and he’s very disappointed that there are no separate video settings - it’s cumbersome to constantly change exposure settings manually between video and stills. 

Other than that he overall thinks it’s a very fun camera to use, but in the end suggests those who are not invested in the Nikon system to wait for next generation.

With the Canon he would look like an alien LOL. Anything about autofocus, I also saw somewhere where you could either join the two setting photo/video or separate them. But his gripe is typical photo shooter centric, because any hybrid shooter would know that you would have to have an ND filter (or close aperture) and shoot at 1/50 -1/60 for video. You can't expect to have quality video if you just switch your 1/200-2000 photo shutter speed setting and shoot video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

With the Canon he would look like an alien LOL. Anything about autofocus, I also saw somewhere where you could either join the two setting photo/video or separate them. But his gripe is typical photo shooter centric, because any hybrid shooter would know that you would have to have an ND filter (or close aperture) and shoot at 1/50 -1/60 for video. You can't expect to have quality video if you just switch your 1/200-2000 photo shutter speed setting and shoot video.

What do you mean with any of the above? He says in the video that he’s normally using nd filters, hence his shutter speed stays at 1/50th but when he want to shoot videos he then has to remove the nd an increase the shutter speed. He would like two separate settings in camer that you could switch between. Maybe there are ways around it, he just hasn’t figured it out.

He also states that he is very much a hybrid shooter - video is prioritized to him when it comes to mirror less cameras. He says that he does find the Nikon a lot more useful to his preferred specs than the x-t3, which lacks ibis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried out the Z7 today at Allen's Camera in NJ, came away extremely impressed. Very responsive (quick to turn on, no hesitation in the menus) , beautiful EVF, great IBIS (smoother than Sony) and the video tracking for me was better than what I saw in the A7III. 24-70 was very sharp and focused well, but lacked character for me in it's rendering. 35 1.8 was incredible, razor sharp, great rendering. They did not have the 50mm there.

What floored me the most was video AF with my Nikon AF-s glass. It was excellent! The focus motors are not quiet, but the focus was smooth and didn't hunt at all. Would not hesitate to use for event work. The adapter seemed rock solid when mounted on the camera.

Obviously would need to use for an extended period of time to see other issues, but so far I think they have a winner.

geoffcbassett_allens .jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Simon Young said:

What do you mean with any of the above? He says in the video that he’s normally using nd filters, hence his shutter speed stays at 1/50th but when he want to shoot videos he then has to remove the nd an increase the shutter speed. He would like two separate settings in camer that you could switch between. Maybe there are ways around it, he just hasn’t figured it out.

He also states that he is very much a hybrid shooter - video is prioritized to him when it comes to mirror less cameras. He says that he does find the Nikon a lot more useful to his preferred specs than the x-t3, which lacks ibis.

My bad, I misread you, I am pretty sure you have this functionality Nikon for video and photo setting different. Another solution is use a fader ND. The big advantage now is that you can use viewfinder to set exposure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good news Geoff!!

So the F mount adapter is pretty good then? Do you have the 58mm F1.4G?

The adapter is better than I expected, because of the wide Z-mount the adapter slopes towards the lens, makes it seem very very sturdy. It was clearly designed to be on the camera for extended periods of time. My voigtlander lenses were recognized and stabilized through the mount, which is very nice.

I tried the 58mm on it, creamy stabilized goodness :) . AF wasn't silent but usable with shotgun I think, smooth.  Unfortunately we were not allowed to keep the footage or images we shot :(

Also tried the Sigma 105mm 1.4. That is a insanely large lens. Not a fan of it. It did not focus well with the adapter. For still it was barely usable, video was a no-go. Seems native Nikon glass works the best. 

Wish they had it, but was unable to try out the 105 1.4 Nikon.

geoffcbassett_allens2 .jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Simon Young said:

This german speaking dude has done the most extensive testing of the Z7 so far. He put the camera to work during two weeks. The talking head part in this video is shot with the S-lens, 35mm at f2.0. Focus sticks to his face like glue. It’s shot without an ND filter, hence the wonky motion cadence, in auto white balance and standard color (not flat).

He says he prefers the Canon and Fuji skin tones but that the Nikon is probably more accurate but that this footage might look strange because he’s very sunburnt after climbing mountains in Switzerland.

He’s praising the view finder and the lcd-screen, very responsive it seems, but he’s not too keen on the size of the house (too small) the size of the glass (too big albeit very sharp) and he’s very disappointed that there are no separate video settings - it’s cumbersome to constantly change exposure settings manually between video and stills

Other than that he overall thinks it’s a very fun camera to use, but in the end suggests those who are not invested in the Nikon system to wait for next generation.

Looking at the 'mode dial' on the Z7, I see there are U1, U2, and U3 available for custom settings. So presumably it is easy to say set one for 4k video and one to 1080 slo mo. Then it becomes easy to switch between stills and video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 11:57 PM, Geoff CB said:

The adapter is better than I expected, because of the wide Z-mount the adapter slopes towards the lens, makes it seem very very sturdy. It was clearly designed to be on the camera for extended periods of time. My voigtlander lenses were recognized and stabilized through the mount, which is very nice.

I tried the 58mm on it, creamy stabilized goodness :) . AF wasn't silent but usable with shotgun I think, smooth.  Unfortunately we were not allowed to keep the footage or images we shot :(

Also tried the Sigma 105mm 1.4. That is a insanely large lens. Not a fan of it. It did not focus well with the adapter. For still it was barely usable, video was a no-go. Seems native Nikon glass works the best. 

Wish they had it, but was unable to try out the 105 1.4 Nikon.

geoffcbassett_allens2 .jpg

Looks sweet with that tiny Voigltander.

I would rather shoot with this any day than a Pocket 4K.

What do people think the audience notices most - full frame look, or raw?

I'd say, if you're good at grading LOG, they'll notice the full frame look more.

So why go through the pain of shitty battery life, limited ergonomics and missing EVF on the Pocket when you can get a Z6 at around the same time for $700 more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks sweet with that tiny Voigltander.

I would rather shoot with this any day than a Pocket 4K.

What do people think the audience notices most - full frame look, or raw?

I'd say, if you're good at grading LOG, they'll notice the full frame look more.

So why go through the pain of shitty battery life, limited ergonomics and missing EVF on the Pocket when you can get a Z6 at around the same time for $700 more?

If active D-lighting works in 10bit it could be pretty impressive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raw is unnecessary for 95% of the people on here... as is ProRes really. IBIS is definitely a more relevant feature for a videographer.

With that being said, I’d love for one of the major manufacturers to license ProResLT, I just watched a few videos online from the Ursa Mini 4K, since it can be had for about the same price as a kitted P4K, and the ProResLT videos looked amazing... for web consumption at least. Since ProRes is less processor intensive than an h.264 codec, it would have been a great move for Canon if they are indeed having heat dissipation issues.

To add, I am very intrigued with the Z6 and the 10bit external. I’m probably going to pick up a BMVA this Fall, for a project, does the Z6 output 10bit 1080 as well, or is it just 4K?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

How is the 120fps? Better then Panasonic and Sony or no?

Looked very good on the back of the camera, but I couldn't take it off the card so can't make a call on quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Looked very good on the back of the camera, but I couldn't take it off the card so can't make a call on quality.

Ah darn.

Personally I don't think full frame or raw matters to audiences. The real question is if you need RAW for your project or if you need full frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...