Jump to content

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K


Yurolov
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

The color in the Fabrizio & Omayra video is simply gorgeous and the dynamic range is very impressive. 

Yes, but I had to download it to add blur from my PotPlayer...

I'd rather look to 'The Color of Light' video and the focal reducer shots (18-35mm f/1.8).

You feel the difference to thinner MFT glass BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBv7mSrIHo

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/gallery

 

tip to do it with embedded videos from vimeo LOL they embedded it on their webpage but they don't allow others to embed it from YT... these autocratic tics from a company like BMD are killing me : X

download embedded videos on Chrome:
customize and control button on the right corner -> More tools -> Developer tools -> F+Ctrl -> mp4 -> select all & copy -> word processor -> F+Ctrl = resolution chosen -> copy paste link -> click on right to save as wherever you want in your drive as you wish ; -)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

tip to do it with embedded videos from vimeo LOL they embedded it on their webpage but they don't allow others to embed it from YT... these autocratic tics from a company like BMD are killing me : X

download embedded videos on Chrome:
customize and control button on the right corner -> More tools -> Developer tools -> F+Ctrl -> mp4 -> select & copy -> word processor -> F+Ctrl = resolution chosen -> copy paste link -> click on right to save as wherever you want in your drive as you wish ; -)

2

bookmarked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Deadcode said:

The dynamic range is impressive. This shot is waaaaay underexposed and still "just" ProRes. But it can be lifted easily1970079173_Kepernyofoto2018-10-11-15_40_20.thumb.png.5bad6768c0f273424dbe6222a9d0c0f6.png

 

I can’t believe that the highlights clip that hard on a clip so under exposed. The handling of highlights are what kills this camera for me. The OG pocket had so many flaws but the image was not one of them. 

I think the GH5 might have an upper hand with the baked in color profiles as well. I always impressed with the files straight out of camera with then GH4. Has anybody been messing with shooting non log footage? Can you bake in LUTs to the BMP4K? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

I can’t believe that the highlights clip that hard on a clip so under exposed. The handling of highlights are what kills this camera for me. The OG pocket had so many flaws but the image was not one of them. 

I think the GH5 might have an upper hand with the baked in color profiles as well. I always impressed with the files straight out of camera with then GH4. Has anybody been messing with shooting non log footage? Can you bake in LUTs to the BMP4K? 

 

When the scene lighting contrast is  greater than the DR of the camera clipping is inevitable - on any camera. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

When the scene lighting contrast is  greater than the DR of the camera clipping is inevitable - on any camera. 

Sure, but we’re talking about this camera and those highlights don’t look so nice. The original frame was posted to rave about the DR. I don’t see it. 

I am fairly certain that even a c100 in log would handle that better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Sure, but we’re talking about this camera and those highlights don’t look so nice. The original frame was posted to rave about the DR. I don’t see it. 

I am fairly certain that even a c100 in log would handle that better. 

Maybe the grade was poor, maybe the person who posted it wasn't interested in the highlights and wanted to see how far the shadows can be pushed. One thing you can be certain of is that unless you shot 2 cameras side by side with the exact same exposure settings you can't say which camera has better highlights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seanzzxx said:

You can shoot in Video, Extended Video or Film, you cannot bake in third party LUTs (although you can see  them on your monitor)

So many false informations here... It’s not specificaly targeted at you but yes you can totally record custom baked in LUT and that’s an overlooked killer feature. Actually the biggest feature after raw. You can basically get any look straight of camera. I have a review coming showing the power of it !

And so was I worried about highlights handling and DR when I first watched the early footage online. But I can tell you : this camera has more DR than the « legendary » original BMPCC. Once again, I’ll show it in my review. So to sum up : saying that GH5 has a better output for SOOC footage is nonsense I think, granted extended video mode and video mode aren’t any good (you can achieve something pleasing with extended video LUT applied on RAW when you have complete control on WB, with PRORES, I find it to be more complicated...)

Anyway, people (me included !) shouldn’t jump at conclusions when they’ve never shot with the camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Papiskokuji said:

So many false informations here... It’s not specificaly targeted at you but yes you can totally record custom baked in LUT and that’s an overlooked killer feature. Actually the biggest feature after raw. You can basically get any look straight of camera. I have a review coming showing the power of it !

And so was I worried about highlights handling and DR when I first watched the early footage online. But I can tell you : this camera has more DR than the « legendary » original BMPCC. Once again, I’ll show it in my review. So to sum up : saying that GH5 has a better output for SOOC footage is nonsense I think, granted extended video mode and video mode aren’t any good (you can achieve something pleasing with extended video LUT applied on RAW when you have complete control on WB, with PRORES, I find it to be more complicated...)

Anyway, people (me included !) shouldn’t jump at conclusions when they’ve never shot with the camera.

That's awesome, thanks for correcting me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

Cameranu has a 3-4 month expected waiting time for non-preordered cameras. Kamera Express has delivered like three cameras, so far.

Ok I guess I have to avoid those 2 shops then. Maybe I need to look elsewhere in Europe. If anybody comes across one "in stock" let me know :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Are there any Belgians or dutch people who got theirs, or know a store where there are no pre-orders but are awaiting shipments?

I got confirmation from Kamera Express yesterday that they received a shipment and have sent it out to people who had preorders. I'm number 10 on their list, but didn't get one, so I guess they didn't get many and assume (really hope) I'll be in the next batch.

Meanwhile, a few other places I've contacted expect to sell  to people without pre-orders in 4 months. - but that seemed like a total guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I got confirmation from Kamera Express yesterday that they received a shipment and have sent it out to people who had preorders. I'm number 10 on their list, but didn't get one, so I guess they didn't get many and assume (really hope) I'll be in the next batch.

Meanwhile, a few other places I've contacted expect to sell  to people without pre-orders in 4 months. - but that seemed like a total guess. 

Just FYI, Kamera Express is terrible with sending out pre-orders in the correct order. They basically just seem to pick a name at random from their list and ship it to them - I know people who ordered on the 9th of April who haven't gotten anything, and people who ordered in September(!) who did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members

It also has a nifty function where it saves the information about the monitoring LUT you were using in the metadata of the clip which is then picked up and displayed in the clip field in Resolve.

I like the baked in LUT function too but as an alternative if you need to turn things round quickly in HD while still retaining the option to have a more flexible master in 4K for future finessing then the option of being able to apply the LUT to the HDMI output is a very good reason to pick up a used Atomos Ninja Star off eBay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

Just FYI, Kamera Express is terrible with sending out pre-orders in the correct order. They basically just seem to pick a name at random from their list and ship it to them - I know people who ordered on the 9th of April who haven't gotten anything, and people who ordered in September(!) who did.

Thats interesting though :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I like the baked in LUT function too but as an alternative if you need to turn things round quickly in HD while still retaining the option to have a more flexible master in 4K for future finessing then the option of being able to apply the LUT to the HDMI output is a very good reason to pick up a used Atomos Ninja Star off eBay. 

This is basically my planned workflow. It'll be so good for quick turnaround interview/news based pieces. Doing this, you could even record to ProRes LT on the Star as you won't be needing any extra info to grade with, since the grade is already basically done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

It also has a nifty function where it saves the information about the monitoring LUT you were using in the metadata of the clip which is then picked up and displayed in the clip field in Resolve.

I like the baked in LUT function too but as an alternative if you need to turn things round quickly in HD while still retaining the option to have a more flexible master in 4K for future finessing then the option of being able to apply the LUT to the HDMI output is a very good reason to pick up a used Atomos Ninja Star off eBay. 

Wow..  that will be such a great combo.  I know that time is money for people who have to turn things around quickly as you say, but this could also be a way of getting proxy files to edit with but not having to wait for the computer to render them when you ingest the footage.

A good media management program (or even just a script like I have) would mean it's not that much harder to ingest the footage from two sources instead of one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...