Jump to content

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K


Yurolov
 Share

Recommended Posts

BMPCC4K does not have HLG.  It has an HLG lut for monitoring.  I could be entirely wrong on this but I believe that the cameras internal REC 709 output is not exactly as simple as applying a LUT because ISO and color temperature play a huge role in how the cameras internal colors are processed.  So the Wide DR setting is more complex and takes all of these things into account when you adjust color temperature/iso to deliver the best colors.

 

Depends on where you order from.  If you order in the USA from B&H there are no taxes but your state might charge you some at the end of the year or not.  Whether you want to risk not paying them is up to you.

Kristian Lam from Blackmagic was  using the manfrotto smartphone mount ($10) to secure an SSD to the camera.

https://www.manfrotto.us/product/MCLAMP?gdffi=d4782d53a7a849ef83b3597b37ed37ac&gdfms=7A2335F3F7774B6FB20C16EA4002F5F2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28_XBRDhARIsAEk21Fiz7d3ju_NtRSlNDk1DD09rEFkMiuNHmgSJXTma9e8xJV4LRSklwE4aAnNyEALw_wcB

 

or this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Ulanzi-Tripod-Mount-Smartphone-Adapter/dp/B01EYFV6FY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

BMPCC4K does not have HLG.  It has an HLG lut for monitoring.  I could be entirely wrong on this but I believe that the cameras internal REC 709 output is not exactly as simple as applying a LUT because ISO and color temperature play a huge role in how the cameras internal colors are processed.  So the Wide DR setting is more complex and takes all of these things into account when you adjust color temperature/iso to deliver the best colors.

 

Depends on where you order from.  If you order in the USA from B&H there are no taxes but your state might charge you some at the end of the year or not.  Whether you want to risk not paying them is up to you.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I am not completely sure about your HLG explanation though.

 I am noticed that they made a price correction to bring it closer to the $1295 price range. Has abyone else also noticed a price (drop), bringing it closer to $1295 in their country?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Savannah Miller said:

They have an HLG lut included so you can view in the monitor/bake it in.  I'm not sure exactly how it works but it's not a true HLG like a dedicated color science.

Sony color guru Alistair Chapman offers a series of free HLG luts for download, specifically designed for selected (10-bit) Sony cameras to convert Slog2 or Slog3 for either monitoring or grading purposes. He describes HLG as "instant HDR".

I don't claim to be the expert on HDR, but I've read quite a lot on the subject. If you exposed to the center (as opposed to ETTR) with LOG (BM calls it's LOG "FILM"), a lut could be applied to make that recording fully compatible HLG-HDR without any need for grading. The acquisition codec can be anything, 8-bit as well. And because HLG is technically "709 plus", there'd be no special color science needed. BM calls it's 709 "VIDEO". That would just be "VIDEO plus".

But Chapman points out that for anyone who has as well the time and the equipment to monitor and grade HDR, a HLG recording meant lesser control over the grading. It's comparable to VIDEO, which is "instant SDR".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I'm guessing this is going to be a big seller considering there are already 101 pages of discussion on EOSHD...

As long as it is 85% of what we think it will be.

I haven't preordered because... Blackmagic.  I am being disciplined and waiting for them to sort out manufacturing issues, QC, and firmware updates.  I probably won't pick up this camera until 2019.  It will be great if they have a bunch of cameras on hand that work as advertised on day one but this isn't Canon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

Are you sure?  The ursa mini 4.6K sensor (at least the one on the Fairchild website) claims it can run at 240fps full sensor readout.  Then why does Blackmagic only run it at 15ms?  Also, the pocket camera was 17ms and they improved it to around 13 with the micro.

There is processing going on as well. If that is done on the fly then it will bottleneck the data stream resulting in being spread out over the entire frame rather than coming all at once. Improvements you see in RS for a particular sensor come from reducing that processing overhead, either through using faster processors or by rewriting the code to make it more efficient.

The overall time you require for any particular pixel is acquisition time (your "exposure" time) + read time + processing time. Processing time is the variable here that will affect the RS you get out of any particular system. In a high frame rate capable sensor we know that the read time has to be pretty minimal, but the processing time will bottleneck the other activities going on with the sensor and limit the rate at which you can use the data coming off it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only concern about this camera is it's form factor. It's not always a good idea to differentiate a product from the competition in such a way. How will this stretched in length body behave on a gimbal for example? My GH5 is already reaching my a2000's limit when balancing the roll axis and it sits 2-3 mm from the tilt motor. This camera may never get properly balanced on many low budget gimbals like Crane, A2000 and Moza, although we don't know it's weight and center of gravity yet to conclude this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

My only concern about this camera is it's form factor. It's not always a good idea to differentiate a product from the competition in such a way. How will this stretched in length body behave on a gimbal for example? My GH5 is already reaching my a2000's limit when balancing the roll axis and it sits 2-3 mm from the tilt motor. This camera may never get properly balanced on many low budget gimbals like Crane, A2000 and Moza, although we don't know it's weight and center of gravity yet to conclude this.

Maybe you can use it with a counterweight to help balancing, if your gimbal can handle the weight of the camera+counterweight.

Moment, which makes lenses for smartphones, sell a counterweight with this purpose: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/11/21/16686030/moment-lens-dji-osmi-gimbal-official-counterweight-iphone-8-plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Damphousse said:

As long as it is 85% of what we think it will be.

I haven't preordered because... Blackmagic.  I am being disciplined and waiting for them to sort out manufacturing issues, QC, and firmware updates.  I probably won't pick up this camera until 2019.  It will be great if they have a bunch of cameras on hand that work as advertised on day one but this isn't Canon.

The reassuring thing about the Pocket 4K is that BM are already taking it around to most of the Pro Sales and Rental houses here in Australia and letting people (rental managers, sales people, and industry professionals) play with it. We are still four months away from its scheduled release and the camera is doing the rounds. While they do state that it's a 'preproduction model' so not allowing anyone record footage with it, in terms of issues, these should be greatly minimised as they are getting feedback a long time before release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HLG as I understand it is a standard curve applied to footage for final display on a HDR / HLG complient TV.

I imagine that this is a bit like using REC709 to monitor.  You most likely only want to monitor your image using this curve rather than bake it in.  Otherwise it’s like shooting VIDEO instead of FILM.  

The Pocket 2 does feature the new version of VIDEO, EXTENDED VIDEO.  This is an awesome new curve that I’ve been using a lot in other scenarios.  This is doing what we all wish VIDEO should have done in the first place.  Make a nice looking picture that doens’t require too much post to tweak into something nice.

If you wanted to hit the HLG, I’m sure you could easily do a LUT that would do this as well if EXTENDED VIDEO doesn’t push your buttons.

JB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know anything about how directional the audio will be?  The mics are on the front after all..

intro-camera-xl@2x.jpg?_v=1523427397

design-3@2x.jpg?_v=1522273022

If I could ditch my Rode VMP+ that would be another layer of icing on top of the rest of this camera-cake.

9 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I'm guessing this is going to be a big seller considering there are already 101 pages of discussion on EOSHD...

The XC10 thread was similar.. pages = emotions = things to talk about.   If you're familiar with the news media then you'll know that millions of column inches are devoted to BS every day around the world!

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

There is processing going on as well. If that is done on the fly then it will bottleneck the data stream resulting in being spread out over the entire frame rather than coming all at once. Improvements you see in RS for a particular sensor come from reducing that processing overhead, either through using faster processors or by rewriting the code to make it more efficient.

The overall time you require for any particular pixel is acquisition time (your "exposure" time) + read time + processing time. Processing time is the variable here that will affect the RS you get out of any particular system. In a high frame rate capable sensor we know that the read time has to be pretty minimal, but the processing time will bottleneck the other activities going on with the sensor and limit the rate at which you can use the data coming off it. 

You could insert a small buffer chip (enough to contain a full sensor readout worth of data) and then you could read from the sensor to the buffer chip quickly and then the processing could happen at a slower rate by reading out of the other side of the chip.  These chips have two interfaces - one to write and one to read - and they can run at vastly different speeds.

Of course, more chips = more cost = more power consumption etc..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kye said:

Does anyone know anything about how directional the audio will be?  The mics are on the front after all.

I swear there is something about those mics. It almost seems like they are hiding some secret sauce. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I was saying is Extended video is more advanced than just a simple lut because it's heavily dependent on ISO, Color temperature, etc. whether or not you get the correct color results.  From that notion, a simple HLG lut like the one included in the camera's firmware at NAB would work, but it's not as perfect of a solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I swear there is something about those mics. It almost seems like they are hiding some secret sauce. ?

I hope so!!  

They look quite large to me - considering that a condenser microphone is a very small object.  I'm having evil thoughts about them having multiple capsules in there with parabolic reflectors and wired in a way that makes the output more directional.  

I'm probably completely wrong, but this thread is about taking very little evidence and running wild with it, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...