Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am going to review the E-M10 III next. $500 camera. I'm going to use that instead of the Pocket 4K, forget raw. I'm going to go out, have fun with strange Russian lenses, and appreciate how short life is and how the time is better spent with family than with disposable consumer goods.

Smart person LoL. Well done sir, well done. And yeah, Russian lenses are pretty awesome, and they are pretty damn cheap to boot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am going to review the E-M10 III next. $500 camera. I'm going to use that instead of the Pocket 4K, forget raw. I'm going to go out, have fun with strange Russian lenses, and appreciate how short life is and how the time is better spent with family than with disposable consumer goods.

My friend has the E-M10iii and loves it. I’ve used it a couple times and it was a blast to shoot with. I’m probably going to follow a similar path. I have my 5D3 for short films and all I really need/want is a second portable camera for fun/casual photo and video. As you and Webrunner said, chasing these disposable toys isn’t worth the time and trouble, for me an E-M5ii or a D5500 will get the job done.

• Administrators

I can't help but feel a bit of a chill in the air.

These are your customers you're talking to John and fellow filmmakers. You've basically just labelled me a non-shooter/blogger and the rest of us a bunch of grading nerds who butcher your footage.

Call me "entitled" all you like but I've worked fucking hard on this blog and building a community, at the same time as being a freelance cinematographer in Berlin making my OWN stuff happen rather than working for clients. I have an artistic eye and technical expertise, I do shoot, I am not just a "camera reviewer" pedant who tests and verifies a specs sheet.

What's more, I am (or was) a loyal Blackmagic customer. I don't see much appreciation for that or for EOSHD in what you've posted above. You basically imply I'm an entitled nerd who should be glad I've even got a REAL DP on the forum. Hardly much support from you either then.

Since I started EOSHD, I've had just very occasional encouragement from people in the film industry. Doesn't happen very much. Reflects badly on the industry. But not everyone is like this. Speaking of the more positive responses I've had from people in the film industry, there's Rodney Charters. Bought my GH2 book. He sent me an email and we talked about the camera. A small thing but he had a genuine need for the book and we helped each-other out. Made a young filmmaker and anamorphic shooter feel good about all the long hours he was putting into EOSHD and all the Berlin projects at that time. It shows a generosity of spirit.

You should just be honest. You are here to sell a Pocket 4K camera. You don't give a shit about what I shoot, or what I write. I am just a guy hosting your posts.

26 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

What a shame.

Who are these "deep state" BMD insiders that are here pushing an agenda ? Myself and Hook.  Who else ?  What do you guys think, there's a plot and conspiracy ?  You guys don't wat these contributions I guess ?

I'm here because I've been a member here for years and I'm on many camera forums and this is just another one I like to read and contribute to where I can.

I want to know where all the clowns that were saying on this thread that the world was going to end because BMD didn't have any footage out yet and that definitely meant something was very wrong and the shipping date would be missed.

All I've seen so far is that a planned marketing campaign by BMD that has gone off the way they intended.

They commissioned some actual filmmakers (not bloggers or camera reviewers) that make certain types of film (natural history, action sports, nature) to make some films and then they released them and the camera originals.

Then they gave some cameras, complete with some boxes as if they were new to some secondary users, and whilst having them also under NDA, got them to shoot some test footage and allowed some of them to release that footage.  Again.  Not reviewers.  Not bloggers.

About a thousand reviewers and camera jockeys have done a bunch of made up comparisons and VLOGS based on existing footage. (hey I love seeing my footage being butchered by grading nerds)

Think about it.

No blogger or reviewer ANYWHERE has gotten a functioning camera to shoot with as far as I can tell.  Because that's not what BMD want to do with their marketing of this camera.  This isjust marketing 101. 

They need people using the cameras in the many difference specific sectors of the market will use the camera.  Camera reviews aren't part of that plan. (though it hasn't stopped people doing it based on existing footage)

Until it's shipping, it's their choice to give it to whomever they want.

I'm tired of this entitled bullshit.  

I recently left a few facebook groups I was on for this camera, and I'm doing the same here.  Frankly it's juvenile and I don't need the agro I sure hate explaining what should be obvious.

There's no slight.  

BMD have a marketing department and they have a plan and it doesn't involve forums, bloggers or camera reviewers.  That's not a snub, that's just them marketing the product in the way that they see fit.

JB 

What you do doesn't amount to a piss in the snow as the world goes. I have never even watched a F ng thing you have shot for a living, and Gee I haven't lost a days sleep.

I did not really like the attitude that the folks at BMD had at NAB. They did not really seem to like being recorded... at a public event. The folks at Panasonic, DJI and Tilta, were much nicer. I get the impression that those companies really value their customers. It's one of the reasons why I will buy nothing until I see what Panasonic is announcing. I also am really liking the Fuji images, and I have never owned a fuji camera, so there is that. The P4K puts out a nice image, but at this point lots of cameras are putting out nice images, and doing so with reliable autofocus for easy gimbal use. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I can't help but feel a bit of a chill in the air.

These are your customers you're talking to John and fellow filmmakers. ...

You should just be honest. You are here to sell a Pocket 4K camera. You don't give a shit about what I shoot, or what I write. I am just a guy hosting your posts.

Nope. You all aren't my customers.  I don't sell anything.  

I thought you were professional colleagues.

I'm not here to sell cameras.

I'm a working cinematographer. I used to enjoy sharing what I knew.

I do unpaid consulting work with many manufacturers, including BMD.

Feel free to delete every single one of my posts.  You don't have to host them.  

JB

• Administrators
1 hour ago, John Brawley said:

Nope.

I'm not here to sell cameras.

I'm a working cinematographer. I used to enjoy sharing what I knew.

I do unpaid consulting work with many manufacturers, including BMD.

Feel free to delete every single one of my posts.  You don't have to host them.  

JB

Maybe you could "share what you know" in the manner a real DP like Roger Deakins does on his forum... without belittling people.

Was just thinking it would have been a lot nicer to get a reply like "hello Andrew. We appreciate your work...BMD is sorry for not inviting you to the meet-up in your home town". The end. In fact, would be your first "hello" to me in all 2 years you have been posting your Blackmagic propaganda on my forum.

No empathy, and zero appreciation.

@John Brawley, I've been very grateful for your posts and have watched and enjoyed quite a bit of your work before even realizing that you were the DP (Lake Mungo is genuinely one of my favorite movies of the last decade). With that said, that post really bummed me out and felt pretty condescending.

If you disagree with Andrew that's fine, discuss it with him. As I said, I personally wouldn't feel the way he does. But he's entitled to feel disappointed that BMD didn't invite him to check out the camera, especially when they held the event just minutes away. Heck, the fact that he's so interested in the camera should be seen by BMD as a good thing! Are they obligated to invite him, or anyone? No. But would it be a nice gesture and courtesy to give someone that gave BMD their time and energy when BMD was just starting out with their camera lines an opportunity to check it out? Especially when their ambassadors / employee use the forum? 

Even if you do feel like he is overreacting, surely you can put yourself in his shoes? 

4 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to restart the issue, but I felt like that needed to be said. 

Yeah, I think we should get this back on track. Always here for support if required!

From what I've seen so far, I'll be keeping my BMPC4k pre-order, and use it alongside my newly acquired EVA1 (with the GH5 still massively involved - it's still the best in it's class). I doi actually sorta fear the BMPC4k will beat the EVA1's optimal quality though! (So many £££). 

What's the most ideal USB-C device you've seen in the wilderness? 

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is the post what clearly explains why you dont get invites to any brand anymore. Childish. 

John's post are perfectly reasonable, Blackmagic dont want comparisons against other cameras, they want to provide enjoyable images and emotions with the camera. 

Have you see the parachute footage from Eos R? It's all about smiling people enjoying the moment in the sunset. You want to capture the feeling, and we can provide you a tool for that, this is the message. Not low light noise comparisons.

As far as I know they have not send the camera to any reviewer. Just to some people to shoot some stuff with. I do not know who hosted the bm event, or if you knew the guys who hosted it. But does it really matter, maybe they were planning on doing this on a later stage. Sure I would have loved to shoot a test video as well, as a lot of users here or have seen a review by you, but a company cannot do good for everybody. So don't take it personal, as reviews shouldnt be influenced by emotions either. So its not worth getting worked over for really. 

I dont think John works for BM. I am glad he is on the forum providing information and answering questions. Roger Deakins is a class apart offcourse, but he doesnt have the time to reply or answer questions all that often. 

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

X-T3 is actually a serious contender of this marvelous piece of hi-tech this Pocket 4K is, though.

I guess we all hope here expect all this mess may change for better. Both sides may be willing for, side by side that a pint of freedom speech never hurts when respect and understanding of each other might rule over our heads. It is up to you BMD part, now. We, your current and future customers are enough to make it happen, isn't it?

Let's stop to fuel this unwanted dismatch for all parties involved, we all guests here included, OK guys? : -)  

17 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@Andrew Reid, you are very passionate about the things you do and great things they are. I believe the event was organised by typical marketing people, not the people who you were talking about. Write them a note that you would have really enjoyed to have been at the Manchester event and they will appreciate that honesty and expess their gratitude for your great work in the course of affordable cameras with a cinematic image.

This.

I'd recommend Andrew you just write them a polite note saying "hey, I'd like to get a hands on demo of the BMPCC4K soon in the near future for a preview on my site EOSHD", I'm bet they're very likely to reply back with "sure!" and let you come down to have a play around with it for a couple of hours at their HQ. 

You never know until you just ask. 

As it very likely was just an honest mistake to exclude you. Probably the event was organized by clueless marketing folks who wouldn't recognise an appropriate filmmaking expert if it was thrown at them, and instead invited portrait photographers and smartphone reviewers. Because they're all the same to them. 

Edit: 
ah never mind, I caught up and read the other posts which came later on.