Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

Haha me too about the kids birthday. What better place to test a camera then a place where nothing is planned or controlled haha!

by 3 inputs I mean the mini XLR in the camera and then 2 XLRs on the adapter-box. Those two would go into the cam via 3.5mm stereo jack sending input 1 on left and input 2 on right. You'd effectively have 3 mono tracks. Of course that's assuming you can record that input as stereo on a single track... looking here, maybe that's not possible.

Ideally, you can change 'CHANNEL 2 SOURCE' to be 3.5mm Stereo - Stereo. I guess we'll see at release.

image.png.5c79b265def30d4e184202139f770e51.png

I do that LUT workflow all the time with my LS300. I record to an Atomos recorder with an 'INDOOR' or 'OUTDOOR' interview LUT to give me a good idea of what the grade will look like, but only record the log file and grade it later. It really helps with exposure, and makes the focus tools on the Atomos work a lot better than trying to show peaking on the flat image.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Haha me too about the kids birthday. What better place to test a camera then a place where nothing is planned or controlled haha!

That's every shoot for me!

38 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

by 3 inputs I mean the mini XLR in the camera and then 2 XLRs on the adapter-box. Those two would go into the cam via 3.5mm stereo jack sending input 1 on left and input 2 on right. You'd effectively have 3 mono tracks. Of course that's assuming you can record that input as stereo on a single track... looking here, maybe that's not possible.

Ideally, you can change 'CHANNEL 2 SOURCE' to be 3.5mm Stereo - Stereo. I guess we'll see at release.

ooh, that's interesting.  effectively multi-channel audio.

With those codecs I guess it's not going to really be a big deal in terms of writing more data to the card!!

Not that I really care about this argument, but right or wrong... Jon Pais, for dramatic effect, (or melodramatic effect... lol) was quoting Frank Glencairn’s use of the word “sissy” in his article. 

Obviously he was doing it because he wants to remind the world that the GH5 still exists and that AF and IBIS aren’t just for sissies... they’re for fanboys as well... lol.

Is it kind of annoying... yes, but at no point do I think he was using the term, sissy, in a derogatory way. And I don’t think Frank Glencairn meant it that way either when I read the article.

This world is getting so politically correct there will be no such thing as comedy in a few years.

40 minutes ago, mercer said:

Not that I really care about this argument, but right or wrong... Jon Pais, for dramatic effect, (or melodramatic effect... lol) was quoting Frank Glencairn’s use of the word “sissy” in his article. 

Obviously he was doing it because he wants to remind the world that the GH5 still exists and that AF and IBIS aren’t just for sissies... they’re for fanboys as well... lol.

Is it kind of annoying... yes, but at no point do I think he was using the term, sissy, in a derogatory way. And I don’t think Frank Glencairn meant it that way either when I read the article.

This world is getting so politically correct there will be no such thing as comedy in a few years.

Aside from the fact I wasn’t referring to the GH5 when I wrote my comment (think about it - Panasonic doesn’t even have DPAF!), the rest is pretty much correct.

edit It’s actually the a7 III that I’m going back and forth on, but I’ll probably wait until Sept. to make up my mind. 

23 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Aside from the fact I wasn’t referring to the GH5 when I wrote my comment (think about it - Panasonic doesn’t even have DPAF!), the rest is pretty much correct.

Right, you weren’t specifically referring to the GH5 as much as you were referring to any modern camera with modern conveniences but you have been known to defend the GH5 to no end... which is cool, I do it with my 5D3 as well.

It doesn’t much matter anyway, this thread has nowhere to go until some footage is released and some cameras are released into the wild.

With that being said, I really do appreciate John Brawley’s contributions to this site. The discussion I had with him the other week regarding his experience on the production of The Resident was insight rarely received from a pro to an aspiring director. And he seemed more than happy to offer it.

So maybe it’s a little unnecessary to pick apart the minutiae of every sentence and every word he ever posted on this forum to “win” an argument?

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Right, you weren’t specifically referring to the GH5 as much as you were referring to any modern camera with modern conveniences but you have been known to defend the GH5 to no end... which is cool, I do it with my 5D3 as well.

It doesn’t much matter anyway, this thread has nowhere to go until some footage is released and some cameras are released into the wild.

With that being said, I really do appreciate John Brawley’s contributions to this site. The discussion I had with him the other week regarding his experience on the production of The Resident was insight rarely received from a pro to an aspiring director. And he seemed more than happy to offer it.

So maybe it’s a little unnecessary to pick apart the minutiae of every sentence and every word he ever posted on this forum to “win” an argument?

Don’t know whether you saw, but I added a comment to my post. Choosing between the a7 III and the Pocket is going to be a more difficult decision for me to make. Between the GH5 and the Pocket is a no-brainer. Keep in mind, if and when I start making short films, they’re not going to be playing at the cinema - just on my desktop!

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Don’t know whether you saw, but I added a comment to my post. Choosing between the a7 III and the Pocket is going to be a more difficult decision for me to make. Between the GH5 and the Pocket is a no-brainer.

I didn’t see that, thanks. Hmm... that’s interesting. I can see it though. In some ways the move from the GH5 to P4K is a lateral move... especially if sensor size is a concern. Are you getting enticed by the glory of FF?

Honestly, I’m kinda interested to see what Panasonic is planning for the GH5s now that the P4K is coming. I’ve seen some nice stuff from it but for the money alone, the Pocket wins. Now if Panasonic can wrangle up ProRes Raw or something similar, with a lower price... game is on. 

22 minutes ago, mercer said:

I didn’t see that, thanks. Hmm... that’s interesting. I can see it though. In some ways the move from the GH5 to P4K is a lateral move... especially if sensor size is a concern. Are you getting enticed by the glory of FF?

Yes, as well as the low light capability. 

Watching Sicario for the first time - what a tension-filled movie!

Here's some more info, but it's more that I thought these were funny questions to be asking about this camera.

image.thumb.png.ec5008c021d2b371ee119b1d8c2d7605.png5b0cdc943d31b_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_51_33.thumb.png.20ca550decebe2e471eeba149f9d1789.png

And this one answers my thoughts on having 3 audio inputs. It doesn't sound like you can record a stereo track via the 3.5mm socket AND the XLR at the same time. You'll have to choose if you want the left or right channel off the jack. Perhaps you can mix left and right to one single track, but that means you can't really control them independently once its recorded.

That said, most of the boxes I'm talking about have input level control anyway. As long as you get it right while recording, this could still be a viable option if you NEED 3 inputs.5b0cde7b85e12_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_50_56.thumb.png.4203d8847cddf3a8b77338fdecd0e65c.png 

18 hours ago, kaylee said:

I detest your attitude, and I have absolutely no interest in anything youre talking about ? A "condition of employment"??? ??? Are you high?

Great, youre American? You should be absolutely ashamed.

Dont you have better things to do? Thats my SHOCK – you think this argument is important!!! like your opponent. and now youre fighting me?

I feel sorry for you pal ?

Why has the word "sissy" been used on The Simpsons so many times? You dont think thats a "respectful" writing room?

Dude...

Seems like EOSHD is only for angry keyboard warriors like you who care more about a camera's specs and starting an argument and less about actually shooting and creating.

JB is a true professional who most of you here (including myself) could learn a ton from. Blackmagic actually give him cameras to shoot with prior to their release. Rather than engage in meaningful conversation, most of you are more interested in a slanging match than you are about actually learning anything. 

I actually agree with John, we should stop using the word sissy as a put down.

What a toxic forum.

20 hours ago, John Brawley said:

In the last 12 months on two different occasions, I've had two of my crew ( a woman in one case and a guy) get into deep doo doo with big studio HR departments for exactly this kind of language.  And when I say doo doo I mean fired.   

JB

I'll bet you snitched on them, too.

25 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'll bet you snitched on them, too.

Grow up you clown. You’d just sweep a complaint under the rug would you ? 

The were complaints raised within my department by those affected directly with the HR departments of the studio I was working for. I leaned about it after the fact.  

It’s disgusting that you’re still picking a fight here. Move on.

JB

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@John Brawley I'll bet you snitched on them, too. 'doo doo'. How quaint! 

Jon, you obviously have a massive chip on your shoulder. Perhaps you have a narcarsisstic personality disorder or maybe you are overcompensating for insecurity and low self esteem. In any case why don't you get some therapy and come back when you are a decent human being. 

I agree with JB's "move on".

But just one - hopefully last - remark. Frank Glencairn never used the term "sissy", not even "whiner". I know him well from the german slashCAM forum. He never uses questionable language, but he likes to provoke others with what I'd call an old hand's attitude. His article starts with:

Okay, I probably gonna get some flak for this, since this is more an opinion piece, than the usual tec-talk, so keep this in mind, when you break out your flame throwers. 

You don't need a grade in psychology (which I almost made) to very quickly find out that he is actually asking to be challenged and that his often slightly, but unmistakably condescending tone is meant to hurt.

Whom? The con- and prosumers that are not up to his professional ethics and complain about missing features (among others, but that'd take too long).

If you read between the lines, he says: A *real pro* needs no AF or IBIS. jonpais must have felt that JBs comments said something similar. 

Now how did he come from feeling insulted as an amateur to being dismissed as "sissy" (if we accept the sexist meaning)? I think that's a rather easy transition. Video gadgetry is "a man's toy" (please don't quote me for that, it's not my opinion, I just try to nail down the underlying emotions), and not being a "real pro" is equal to not being a "real man". Rather blatantly irrational, if you ask me, but it's the reason why so many hobbyists insist on using pro NLEs - to which Frank Glencairn often wrote, you can make the same edit decisions (that's your professional or creative part) in Windows Movie Maker or iMovie, I appreciate his views. 

Let's move on.