Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

10 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

So NO IBIS with the SPEEDBOOSTER?! That. Is. Disappointing.

That's not what he said. He said that in order for Dual IS to work, you need to use Lumix lenses. IBIS will still work with everything else. It's like my GX80, it won't do Dual IS with an Olympus 12-100 but i'm sure getting really stable footage with my Olympus 25.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Brother said:

That's not what he said. He said that in order for Dual IS to work, you need to use Lumix lenses. IBIS will still work with everything else. It's like my GX80, it won't do Dual IS with an Olympus 12-100 but i'm sure getting really stable footage with my Olympus 25.

Too much wine for tonight, thanks! :D

5 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Anyone interested for the new lenses? I cannot decide between the 12-35 2.8 ii and the 12-60 2.8-4. 

The advantages for 12-35 would be constant aperture (for <f/4 so not a big deal) and compact size, whereas the 12-60 gives you a very useful range. 

It would be great if we had information on the AF speed between the two during video and how nice the fly-by-wire MF works.  

Also there should be a kit with the 12-60 for $2600 ($400 discount) but I cannot find it anywhere. 

I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread? 

"I just put in a pre-order with the Leica 12-60mm. Here in Norway the price for the camera is 22500 NOK (2635 USD) and 28000 NOK (3275 USD) with the lens. The lens alone cost 10500 NOK and only 5500 NOK in the bundle. I should be able to get at least 4000 NOK for the 12-35mm, so I can compare them and keep the one I like the most. I'm guessing it will be the Leica because I have primes for low-light and the gap between f/2.8 f4.0 isn't that big. Let the waiting begin, or should I say continue ;)"

I would guess that image quality will be very similar, maybe slightly better on the Leica? From experience with the 12-35mm (purple one from 2013), the PL 12mm and PL 42,5mm the manual focusing is way smoother on the Leica lenses. Could be improved on the V2 though. 

The kit deal you're talking about is available in Europe, UK and Scandinavia so it will probably show up in US at some point. At least here in Norway the lens is almost 50 % cheaper if you get the kit. Haven't seen any kit other than with one of the 12-60mm lenses yet. If you're considering getting 12-35mm or 12-60mm I would order the first one that's available in a kit, and I'm guessing it will be the 12-60mm and then the 12-35mm some months later. At that price you can always sell it for what you paid for it and get a used V1 12-35mm for the same price or probably less. 

48 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

The kit deal you're talking about is available in Europe, UK and Scandinavia so it will probably show up in US at some point. At least here in Norway the lens is almost 50 % cheaper if you get the kit. Haven't seen any kit other than with one of the 12-60mm lenses yet.

In the UK there seems to be body-only, with 12-60, and with PL12-60.

For those of you who dealt with the GH4 preorder: 

I want this camera, have the money for it but don't want to preorder yet (would like to get a new CC and get a min-purchase bonus if I'm going to do this). How long are cameras out of stock for when these things first unroll? If it's anything like a freaking iPhone release then I'll probably just suck it up and preorder now but I'm also weary of being a first adopter, I'd like to see how the camera fares first. Just don't want to be stuck months without a camera when the time comes.

Also going back to my CC bonus minimum purchase thing: I'm assuming B&H doesn't charge your card until the preorders become real orders?

10 minutes ago, anchoricex said:

For those of you who dealt with the GH4 preorder: 

I want this camera, have the money for it but don't want to preorder yet (would like to get a new CC and get a min-purchase bonus if I'm going to do this). How long are cameras out of stock for when these things first unroll? If it's anything like a freaking iPhone release then I'll probably just suck it up and preorder now but I'm also weary of being a first adopter, I'd like to see how the camera fares first. Just don't want to be stuck months without a camera when the time comes.

Also going back to my CC bonus minimum purchase thing: I'm assuming B&H doesn't charge your card until the preorders become real orders?

Pre order on a credit card - payment occurs when the item ships.

Pre order using PayPal - payment occurs as soon as you place your order.

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

c) is not an option, I hope you for the f);

Ha! Well you never know.... c) might happen!
And if it does, the D7000 is going for some dirt dirt cheap prices secondhand, and is quite a notable improvement over the D90. So I think I'd rather replace the GF's D90 with a D7000 than another D90. If I can swing the extra cash for a D7100 for the better video and extra megapickles, I'd like to do that instead of a D7000. 

f) is just dreaming, but it is good to have dreams & goals! :-D 

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

a6500 and D500 are not going down in price anytime soon (except Nikon has a new APS-C mirrorless line, or Sony a new a7000 for battling the m4/3s),

D500 has already experienced a serious price drop, you can see it going new for under $1500!

Which means if you're a Nikon shooter like me, and if we lived in a world where GH5 did not exist (as obviously GH5 is now top dog over *EVERYTHING*!!), then the Nikon D500 is a very strong contender as the best video camera in its price bracket (beating out the a6500, and cheap enough than an a7S mk2 to make the D500 worthwhile, and also apply to mostly almost justify the extra cost over a G80).

Thus it isn't terribly hard to imagine a world where I get lucky and I find near the end of 2017 a secondhand Nikon D500 for US$1K-ish-ish, but the GH5 is extremely popular and holding strong at US$2K still at the end of the year (and the secondhand market is strong too, with not much of a discount vs new). Then yeah, if I've also swung a little more towards my photography side (at the moment it is pure hobby for me, and it is the filmmaking that is professional side of things, but if I was to take up a few stills jobs perhaps over the year?), then getting a D500 over a GH4 could become a very rationale decision! 

But ha! You can see in this made up example it would require quite a few dominoes to fall down exactly in place....   as the GH5 is going to be a very hard camera to beat into 2nd place choice!

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Ha! Well you never know.... c) might happen!
And if it does, the D7000 is going for some dirt dirt cheap prices secondhand, and is quite a notable improvement over the D90. So I think I'd rather replace the GF's D90 with a D7000 than another D90. If I can swing the extra cash for a D7100 for the better video and extra megapickles, I'd like to do that instead of a D7000. 

f) is just dreaming, but it is good to have dreams & goals! :-D 

D500 has already experienced a serious price drop, you can see it going new for under $1500!

Which means if you're a Nikon shooter like me, and if we lived in a world where GH5 did not exist (as obviously GH5 is now top dog over *EVERYTHING*!!), then the Nikon D500 is a very strong contender as the best video camera in its price bracket (beating out the a6500, and cheap enough than an a7S mk2 to make the D500 worthwhile, and also apply to mostly almost justify the extra cost over a G80).

Thus it isn't terribly hard to imagine a world where I get lucky and I find near the end of 2017 a secondhand Nikon D500 for US$1K-ish-ish, but the GH5 is extremely popular and holding strong at US$2K still at the end of the year (and the secondhand market is strong too, with not much of a discount vs new). Then yeah, if I've also swung a little more towards my photography side (at the moment it is pure hobby for me, and it is the filmmaking that is professional side of things, but if I was to take up a few stills jobs perhaps over the year?), then getting a D500 over a GH4 could become a very rationale decision! 

But ha! You can see in this made up example it would require quite a few dominoes to fall down exactly in place....   as the GH5 is going to be a very hard camera to beat into 2nd place choice!

Surely a D500 and a GH5 (and A7sii) are very different cameras?

GH5 looks like it will be THE camera for video in good light at least (probably up to ISO 6400 anyway) and will be a decent M4/3 stills camera.      The D500 will be by far a better stills camera and for sports and wildlife for the most part while having some video use and the A7sii would be the one for stills and video in low light.

If I had unlimited funds, those three would complement each other and never be alternatives to each other (though video to the GH5 level is much more than I would need)        I just wish Nikon lenses adapted across systems as good as Canon lenses.

44 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

I wish to avoid aretacts... is 10 bit is enough for color grading and color correction/luts? or we need 12 bit? thanks a lot.

8 bit is enough if you expose correctly unless you are into heavy grading. 10 bit is plenty enough data than 95% of anyone but a feature film is going to need.

Don't get me wrong who doesn't want more, but 12 bit say 4.4.4 takes a lot of space to use, and Raw 14 bit is crazy a amount of space..The GH5 will

pretty much have all you need which is nice. Now the 60fps 4k will be only 8 bit. So that Might need a external recorder for that.

So for someone who still is more then happy with 1080p output projects, I'm assuming shooting 4k as much as I can and downscaling with this camera is going to be the way to go? 

Also, now that the cameras going to do 10bit goodness internally and deliver to dual sd card slots, is it safe to say for a lot of people they can scale back on  monitor purchases? I mean now it sounds like I don't necessarily need an external monitor and recorder combo? Just a monitor that can do live luts, desqueezes and the likes should be dandy? Please share what monitor you'd pair with the GH5 !

7 minutes ago, anchoricex said:

So for someone who still is more then happy with 1080p output projects, I'm assuming shooting 4k as much as I can and downscaling with this camera is going to be the way to go? 

4K downscaled to 1080p is the way to go, on the GH4 it looks much, much better than the internal 1080p. Less moire, cleaner, sharper. 

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

but the NX1 will go significantly down in the next few months, and it is still H265 160-180Mbps stable with the mod/hack, interesting AF that works most of the times and a 28 BSI sensor with DIS+lens IS (very good with the 16-50S). If you can get it eventually with the 16-50S 2-2.8 for around 1400NZ$ it can be the best value for money for a complete workhorse.

I didn't know you had the NX300, have any lenses for that? The video is truly terrible, very good walk around camera, and very stylish too!

I had wished/hoped the NX1 would have gone down a lot more in price because it is so "old", but the hacking interest in it means the price stayed up higher for a while longer. 

I got the NX300 when the NX300 hack was out (but pre NX1 hack I think?) and the NX300 was on sale, I want to have a play around with the NX system while I debated about buying a NX500 and NX1 cameras to switch my wedding multi camera set up from Panasonic to Samsung or even Sony. (in the end, I realised it is much better to not spend money and just stick with my current multi camera set up!)

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I didn't know you had the NX300, have any lenses for that? The video is truly terrible, very good walk around camera, and very stylish too!

Oh the video it not *that* terrible, just only by our 2017 standards. Is it any worse than an unhacked GH2? Nah.

And I got it so I could do 3D video with it (but never got around to doing it yet.... :-/ ). 

In terms of implementation, I think it is quite nice and others could learn from Samsung. 

I have the kit lens, the 30mm pancake (love pancakes! Although this one seems to be poor at focusing.. :-/ ), and the 45mm 3D lens. 

1 hour ago, noone said:

Surely a D500 and a GH5 (and A7sii) are very different cameras?

GH5 looks like it will be THE camera for video in good light at least (probably up to ISO 6400 anyway) and will be a decent M4/3 stills camera.      The D500 will be by far a better stills camera and for sports and wildlife for the most part while having some video use and the A7sii would be the one for stills and video in low light.

Look very carefully at my qualifications of my conclusion about "maybe" getting a D500 over and above a GH4, as there are a lot of them! As I said at the end:

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Basically for the stars to align I'd probably need:

a) a strong "need" for a stills camera (such as GF leaving and no longer having access to her D90 for stills, as I won't live with her. And/or if I start to take photography more seriously as a profession rather than just a hobby)

b)  a further price drop (down to around US$1K-ish-ish for a secondhand D500??) and for the GH5 prices to hold strong to the end of 2017, to increase the price gap between a D500 and a GH5. As for me, if a camera is cheap enough then that can overcome many many shortcomings!

1 hour ago, noone said:

If I had unlimited funds, those three would complement each other and never be alternatives to each other (though video to the GH5 level is much more than I would need)        I just wish Nikon lenses adapted across systems as good as Canon lenses.

Nah, in my eyes Nikon has much *much* greater adaptability across systems. 

Because Nikon allows you to use their lenses on systems you couldn't otherwise (such as Samsung NX! Or a RED One MX! Easy and cheap to use Nikon lenses on them, but basically impossible to use Canon lenses!), or would be more expensive to use Canon (for instance with my Sony PMW-F3, is cheap to use Nikon lenses, and while it is technically simple enough to use Canon lenses on an F3, the cost is so very very high it is completely pointless for me!).

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I had wished/hoped the NX1 would have gone down a lot more in price because it is so "old", but the hacking interest in it means the price stayed up higher for a while longer. 

I got the NX300 when the NX300 hack was out (but pre NX1 hack I think?) and the NX300 was on sale, I want to have a play around with the NX system while I debated about buying a NX500 and NX1 cameras to switch my wedding multi camera set up from Panasonic to Samsung or even Sony. (in the end, I realised it is much better to not spend money and just stick with my current multi camera set up!)

Oh the video it not *that* terrible, just only by our 2017 standards. Is it any worse than an unhacked GH2? Nah.

And I got it so I could do 3D video with it (but never got around to doing it yet.... :-/ ). 

In terms of implementation, I think it is quite nice and others could learn from Samsung. 

I have the kit lens, the 30mm pancake (love pancakes! Although this one seems to be poor at focusing.. :-/ ), and the 45mm 3D lens. 

Look very carefully at my qualifications of my conclusion about "maybe" getting a D500 over and above a GH4, as there are a lot of them! As I said at the end:

Basically for the stars to align I'd probably need:

a) a strong "need" for a stills camera (such as GF leaving and no longer having access to her D90 for stills, as I won't live with her. And/or if I start to take photography more seriously as a profession rather than just a hobby)

b)  a further price drop (down to around US$1K-ish-ish for a secondhand D500??) and for the GH5 prices to hold strong to the end of 2017, to increase the price gap between a D500 and a GH5. As for me, if a camera is cheap enough then that can overcome many many shortcomings!

Nah, in my eyes Nikon has much *much* greater adaptability across systems. 

Because Nikon allows you to use their lenses on systems you couldn't otherwise (such as Samsung NX! Or a RED One MX! Easy and cheap to use Nikon lenses on them, but basically impossible to use Canon lenses!), or would be more expensive to use Canon (for instance with my Sony PMW-F3, is cheap to use Nikon lenses, and while it is technically simple enough to use Canon lenses on an F3, the cost is so very very high it is completely pointless for me!).

You're really banking on that GF of yours leaving...

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Mate just make sure she's not a scorned woman that you may break up with, 'cause the only thing you might end up with is a Kodak Instamatic on the mantlepiece, and have to wait a week to see what's on the prints!!