Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

If this model retains at least a decent 10-bit 4K mode of some description, and vlog, well Canon could be a little sore after the R5 debacle 😅

https://www.l-rumors.com/confirmed-panasonic-will-soon-announce-the-new-s5-entry-level-full-frame-l-mount-camera

I do wonder what this means for a GH6, if there is still one in the works or if full-frame is pretty much the Pana roadmap now...

All the S5 needs really is to be a lighter, stabilised run and gun with their solid 150mbps 4k 10-bit and it'll sell a bunch.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Well... if they release this lower-end camera, then they better start releasing their less expensive (f/1.8) lenses to go along with it.

I don't know which market they are going to target with it though. Primarily a stills camera? A true hybrid?  A vlogging camera?

They’ve put themselves in a box. I doubt it having better specs than S1 if it’s suppose to be entry level. FF 4K60p is a stretch unless they also add it via firmware to S1. Affordable L mount Lenses are still limited.

They just released a “vlogging” camera that nobody really likes or wants.

I have no clue why they are releasing a new model. Unless it’s a GX style FF camera, which would be appealing to some. 

13 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

They’ve put themselves in a box. I doubt it having better specs than S1 if it’s suppose to be entry level. FF 4K60p is a stretch unless they also add it via firmware to S1. Affordable L mount Lenses are still limited.

They just released a “vlogging” camera that nobody really likes or wants.

I have no clue why they are releasing a new model. Unless it’s a GX style FF camera, which would be appealing to some. 

I agree with your points (not that you need MY validation or anything... just saying your are spot on).

I'm going to assume that this will be much more of a photo-centered camera. This is fine with me as that's what I'm actually hoping for: a smaller L-Mount camera (550-650 grams) with at least 24-megapixels that can be my main photo camera, and then leave the S1H (and/or S1) as the main videocamera.

BUT, if they can get me at least 10-bit 422 4k up to 30fps, it would be GREAT as a b-cam to the S1H. Hope it takes the same batteries as well, but that may be hard with a smaller size. 

Also hoping this will be a GX8 style rangefinder camera. 

---

Pretty crazy that we went from the Panasonic S1 being the ONLY 10-bit 4k full-frame camera and ONLY 60fps 4k full-frame camera in the mirrorless world, and now with R5, R6, and A7sIII, that has become commonplace. Which leaves me hoping that this may outshine the S1 in video specs (or at least match it), as Panasonic can't afford to lag behind in specs as that is where they have historically been better than the competition (along with reliability, build quality, colors, IQ, features (timecode, waveforms, etc), and so much more). 

28 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Spec leaked

Same spec as S1, but with smaller evf (2.36mil dot)

Got Vlog

Size is between R and A7, weight is similar to gh5

AF in slowmo up to 150fps, 180fps is MF only

https://photorumors.com/2020/08/14/panasonic-lumix-s5-mirrorless-camera-leaked-specifications/

It's even smaller and lighter than the GH5, and it still retains "Contrast AF system DFD technology".

Which means it's a  cheaper S1, with the same features and lower resolution EVF (?) , and a few corners cut. Which isn't so bad. No wonder the Panasonic guys found the overheating issue on the R5 (and R6?) difficult to digest. 

Hopefully Panasonic hasn't forgotten the M43 lineup. 

Can we call it a fullframe GH5? Or is it missing some other pro things? It has 10 bit, 60p, timecode, LUT assist, waveforms... teleconversion modes too!
Size is in the Z6, a7iii, R6 range. But (much) better video features. Except AF of course...

Price will be important, as will availability of more affordable native glass. The new zoom is a good start. Now some compact F1.8 or F2 primes would be welcome.

1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

Can we call it a fullframe GH5? Or is it missing some other pro things? It has 10 bit, 60p, timecode, LUT assist, waveforms... teleconversion modes too!
Size is in the Z6, a7iii, R6 range. But (much) better video features. Except AF of course...

Price will be important, as will availability of more affordable native glass. The new zoom is a good start. Now some compact F1.8 or F2 primes would be welcome.

Missing the ALL-I

Now if Sirui can release their Anamorphic lens in L mount that would be perfect.  A small compact portable anamorphic setup.