Jump to content

EOSHD testing finds Canon EOS R5 overheating to be fake


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EOSHD testing finds Canon EOS R5 overheating to be fake, with artificial timers deployed to lock out video mode. In this test, we will probe my Canon EOS R5’s actual internal temperature in Celsius, a

I suspected Canon to cripple this camera somehow, someway but this artificial heat limit and recovery time is really out of line. Such arrogance! But you know what? Canon may think they control t

A good reaction on Twitter: I agree with Quinn about it being a bad look. They need to at the very least come clean, answer, own up and apologise. Then fix it.

Posted Images

On 8/13/2020 at 4:09 PM, inv3ctiv3 said:

I have tried posting in this thread but it always says it needs to be approved by a mod....I have the opposite experience and bought the camera the day it was available for preorder and got it right as it came out, I have since shot every single day with it and obviously the first things I tried were all the features we all want to use. I brought it along for a MTB shoot and filmed in nothing but 4k HQ, 4k 120, 8k raw and 12FPS and not once did it overheat or shut down. It was well over 80 degrees and it was in a black backpack as we were riding for 2.5 hours stopping to shoot as we went. I think people should wait and see what actually happens not just watch youtubers trying to make them overheat, I am beyond stoked on the camera and can't wait to shoot even more on it.

Just out of curiosity, what was your shooting approach? Were you shooting only 15-20 second clips and then turning off the camera? I ask because some people do have a use case just like that and for them it's useful information. Thus far all the testing seems to be hit the record button and time it until it overheats. That's certainly valid for many other use cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

Just out of curiosity, what was your shooting approach? Were you shooting only 15-20 second clips and then turning off the camera? I ask because some people do have a use case just like that and for them it's useful information. Thus far all the testing seems to be hit the record button and time it until it overheats. That's certainly valid for many other use cases.

That's pretty much how we were going but not doing that short of clips probably 30 second-1.5 minutes with a few different takes, like I said I think people are blinded by the specs and want to go film long form videos with it and it's a stills camera that does video. I've been beyond stoked on mine but there will always be people who are upset, this camera fits in with my 5D4's and my C200's perfectly but has and will likely forever replace the 5D4's. And like I said there are people trying to make it over heat and when you try to do that guess what, it'll do it but I see very few reviews of people taking it outside and just shooting like they normally would, I take all these sites with a grain of salt.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:12 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Great good for you! Do us a favour and read what I find when I use it.

I feel you have your blinkers on.

We don't all just turn the camera on for a few seconds at a time.

Do us a favour and realise that the camera overheats in the menus or just doing stills in live-view.

Overheats as far as a complete shut down once you go over into video mode.

But yes... Video compression blah blah blah, data intensive blah blah.

Are you ok? Why are you so quick to just slam other peoples experiences or opinions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inv3ctiv3 said:

That's pretty much how we were going but not doing that short of clips probably 30 second-1.5 minutes with a few different takes, like I said I think people are blinded by the specs and want to go film long form videos with it and it's a stills camera that does video. I've been beyond stoked on mine but there will always be people who are upset, this camera fits in with my 5D4's and my C200's perfectly but has and will likely forever replace the 5D4's. And like I said there are people trying to make it over heat and when you try to do that guess what, it'll do it but I see very few reviews of people taking it outside and just shooting like they normally would, I take all these sites with a grain of salt.

A guy shot 8K video in Paris and was surprised it overheated on a day shoot as he was filming only short clips.  He had to leave it overnight to cool down.  It wasn't a review, just a report on real world use.  For short, personal work and work where line skipped 4K is fine, the R5 will be okay.  I wouldn't pay £4k for a smoking gun for a camera and rely on it for Professional work.  Regardless of any reports from those who have managed to grab some footage from it.  Something which I never doubted.  Even Canon wouldn't dare release a camera you couldnt film anything at all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andrew,

Do you think possible that Canon may artificially put limitations to avoid people from burning themself on the body ? I know a modern PU can run at 90C but my eye on the viewfinder and my hands on the body can't. What would be the body's temperature if the CPU goes up to 90C ?

Thanks

 

Amaury

Link to post
Share on other sites

What if the recording restrictions are also part of a deal with RED? Allow internal compressed raw but not in a way that it could replace a monstro? 

Seriously if you do narrative long form on a controlled set and the r5 had a more practical recording limit it would be all the camera youd ever need with better ooc color than red. And af. It would be too good to be true.

Canon obviously has the tech ready for the ultimate hybrid, but doesn't want to unleash it yet for business reasons. 

They have 45% of the photography market with a dual mount strategy! Annoying for the consumer, but good business it seems. This here might be another case of abusing costumers but creating good income.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, nickname said:

What if the recording restrictions are also part of a deal with RED? Allow internal compressed raw but not in a way that it could replace a monstro? 

To make sure the R5 can only be used as a crash cam on set. The R5 has pretty good specs for a crash cam. Use only once to record 15-min RAW video in compact form factor. No cooldown recovery needed as it will crash anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering what the story is behind this?

Could inter-departmental power struggles caused them to have done this?

No heat sink on the main chip??? 

This is quite shocking really and unless resolved quickly, with a statement and product recall, an unmitigated PR disaster, and just as Canon were

about to take the mirrorless market by storm.

Other sites seem to have gone very quiet on this too, suspiciously so.

Let's see what happens.



 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a dumb question, but is the firmware final? I know there are plenty of R5’s out in the wild... but they are not being shipped from B&H yet, which makes me wonder if some of this will be addressed in the final firmware?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
9 minutes ago, jacoblewis said:

This may be a dumb question, but is the firmware final? I know there are plenty of R5’s out in the wild... but they are not being shipped from B&H yet, which makes me wonder if some of this will be addressed in the final firmware?

Well, at the very least, the one that @Andrew Reid is using (and @mechanicalEYE I'm presuming too?) is an actual shop bought camera so whilst the firmware is undoubtedly not going to be the last and final one they ever do for it (unless they are mad), it is nonetheless the one that retail units ship with and there have not been any firmware updates issued by Canon for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well, at the very least, the one that @Andrew Reid is using (and @mechanicalEYE I'm presuming too?) is an actual shop bought camera so whilst the firmware is undoubtedly not going to be the last and final one they ever do for it (unless they are mad), it is nonetheless the one that retail units ship with and there have not been any firmware updates issued by Canon for it.

Yes, that is correct. A shop bought production model currently 1.0.0 firmware.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davos said:

Canon have thus far failed to publicly address any of the issues other than release the crippled time specs at launch. Their handling of this has been appaling. 

A Canon press release about the shutdown mechanism and its necessity to avoid harm wouldn't suprise me at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter what they say, all their fanboys will defend them even though it's obvious they want to protect their rumored C-series cameras with what is almost certainly the same sensor and capabilities.  It's so obvious why it's crippled... They basically don't have to do anything, they're #1 in Japan, they don't care what you or I think. 

They're probably selling R5's like hot cakes, and even if they don't, they're selling enough of them to reduce the sensor costs for the C-series cameras and increase their margins, so it's win win win for them.

Just look at some of the responses on the forum, people willing to frankenstein a $4K camera in 2020 because it's a canon, who would probably previously make fun of your solutions to cool down a $1,500 A6500 from 2016.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The discovery be Andrew and the Chinese heat sensor team that the CPU is not gagging on the processing heat, despite minimal heat sinking, surely suggests policy constraints rather than technical limitations determine this camera's performance..

Ianal, so I have no idea to what extent such market segmentation is legal in the US, even less about other jurisdictions. It does highlight that the customers are ciphers, rather than people, at least to the marketing algorithm. However, those algorithms may be badly wrong. Iirc, the Chief Counsel of Bayer estimated that the liability from Roundup cancer claims was $200MM at the outside. He was mistaken by a factor of 100. So Canon may well be more concerned in private than their thus far impassive public persona suggests.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...