Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Can't speak for androidlad but 1Dx III the 10 bit 4:2:2 is h265 only and only this codec has Log. I doubt they develop this for a single "small" volume camera it is also not used in their Cinema camera so it is a fair guess that it would be in the R5.

Just be ready that at the moment editing this format is really pain at least in resolve at 4k, I really cannot imagine how slow it will be at 8k. 5.5k RAW are faster to edit. 

This! 

Prepare for some proxys as this codec is pain to work with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope 8K RAW will have a burst mode for 4 seconds. Why? Stills. Will be great to select the best shot from 120 frames I can't see myself using it for video as much as 4K RAW on the EOS R6, or th

Depending on what happens in the next month, the price point in the UK will either be around £3.5K or two tins of soup, 20 sheets of toilet paper and two squirts of hand sanitiser. Plus VAT in bo

I'm not sure of what is the more ominous indicator of an impending end of days apocalypse, the COVID-19 virus or Canon releasing a camera with such a no holds barred spec.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Can't speak for androidlad but 1Dx III the 10 bit 4:2:2 is h265 only and only this codec has Log. I doubt they develop this for a single "small" volume camera it is also not used in their Cinema camera so it is a fair guess that it would be in the R5.

Just be ready that at the moment editing this format is really pain at least in resolve at 4k, I really cannot imagine how slow it will be at 8k. 5.5k RAW are faster to edit. 

Good insight, thanks.  I’ve had some experience with 10-bit H.265 4K from my Z Cam, but I can’t imagine 8K, heh.  Funny how the 5.5k RAW is easier to edit.  My hope is they’ll allow 4K H.265 as well, but I guess we’ll see.

I doubt they will implement clog 2 or 3. Clog is good but doesn't have a lot of Dr. 

Hmm, good point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-u-s-a-to-host-virtual-press-conference-for-new-professional-imaging-products-and-technologies/

Virtual press conference from Canon HQ planned on April 20th. Should be related to "professional products", so eos C300 mkIII and hopefully the latest details about the R5. Really hope it's the day the Canon eos R5 will be officially announced (with all the specs, release date and price) !

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Nah, they are going to draw this tease out as long as possible. So much free press with people freaking about the rumored specs (we haven’t been given the fine print to read).

Really hoping it’s a turning point for Canon, myself, even though I have no interest in 8K. 

Nope, according to Canon Rumors, which is one of the most reliable rumors source if not the most, Canon will stick to its plans on releasing infos and press conferences even though the Covid19 thing kind of mess it up. And they wanted to announce it in late April/May apparently so it appears to be the right moment on April 20th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

Nope, according to Canon Rumors, which is one of the most reliable rumors source if not the most, Canon will stick to its plans on releasing infos and press conferences even though the Covid19 thing kind of mess it up. And they wanted to announce it in late April/May apparently so it appears to be the right moment on April 20th.

The press release specifically says broadcast and cinema, this is likely what would have been the NAB announcement. The R line is not a broadcast or cinema line. The R5 will get its own announcement day so the C300mkIII or whatever else they announce doesn't get drowned out by the R5 hype. That's my bet.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The press release specifically says broadcast and cinema, this is likely what would have been the NAB announcement. The R line is not a broadcast or cinema line. The R5 will get its own announcement day so the C300mkIII or whatever else they announce doesn't get drowned out by the R5 hype. That's my bet.

Chris

From a marketing prospective it make no sense to have both announcement on the same event. Two announcements means more press coverage and more important spread over time... So I agree with you will be Cinema stuff only.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 8:26 AM, gt3rs said:

From a marketing prospective it make no sense to have both announcement on the same event. Two announcements means more press coverage and more important spread over time... So I agree with you will be Cinema stuff only.

I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed a little more info, they know the R5 is the years most anticipated camera. Each new snippet gets a lot of play.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Super8 said:

When will this camera be released?

 

43 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

Most likely end of this year as Canon just released their flagship dslr  1DX Mark iii and they about to introduce C300mii i think.

 

I'd think Canon would want it out as soon as possible. RF glass sales are dependent upon of sales of R series cameras and with couple RF models in the pipeline, I'd think summer release as long as COVID-19 allows it. 

Also Canon Rumors is saying Canon supposedly has plans for an RF mount cinema camera . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good so far but I that would be very surprising, is Canon finally realizing that crippling and stupid product segmentation is counter productive or is there a catch somewhere?

Canon EOS R5 video specs include 8K/30, 4K/120 with Raw, 10-bit H.265 and full AF

https://***URL removed***/news/2500538743/canon-eos-r5-video-8k-30-4k-120-with-raw-10-bit-h-265-and-full-af

From the official press release:

  • 8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps
  • 8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
  • 4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
  • No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor. (When in 8K RAW, 8K/4K DCI modes).
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
  • Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
  • A Canon first, the EOS R5 will feature 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilization, which works in conjunction with Optical IS equipped with many of the RF and EF lenses.
  • Dual-card slots: 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II.

 

At this point, I'm wondering if it will be continuous or just short burst

Link to post
Share on other sites

4K120p Full Frame 10 bits 422 with C-LOG and DPAF and IBIS, all in a Canon ergonomical package? 
 

For the past 3 years I have asked this repeatedly here on EOSHD, people laughing at me like it couldn’t happen as late as 2019. In fact, I asked those exact specs, but with 60p. Canon comes and does it with 120p. 
There always was an issue. We had no IBIS in Fuji, mini sensor on Panasonic, or bad ergonomics, or bad autofocus (S1). 

Now it comes in the most perfect possible way. Absolutely insane. Its crushing the competition so much that I don’t see Why anyone on earth wanting a mirror less for video and has the money for it would choose anything else

Thanks Canon. It was about time.

Now let’s get rid of those Sonys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...