Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Timotheus said:

The hype is just bewildering. Still (officially) unanswered questions:

- amount of crop on 4k and higher res

- recording limitations on 4k and higher res

- AF limitations (DPAF?) on 4k and higher res

- codecs, bitrates

- price

None of it in the announcement, yet the internet is on fire. I dunno...

To be clear, I would love to see Canon take hybrid shooters serious once again. But with what we know now, it's hard to see how they have already proven that they do.

Canon’s product development announcement is working as intended.

16 hours ago, Django said:

To my knowledge only the 1DX2 & 5D4 had a stills extract from video feature and both those cams used MJPEG.

The thought alone of that codec returning gives me the shivers and it would be plain silly for Canon to place such an inefficient codec for such high resolution video files. But who knows.. when Canon introduced 4K on the 1DC it did have that one caveat!

The EOS R also has this feature with every video you shoot with it. You have the possibility in playback mode to extract all the frames you want from it.
So no worry 😉

59 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

The EOS R also has this feature with every video you shoot with it. You have the possibility in playback mode to extract all the frames you want from it.
So no worry 😉

Cool, I checked last night but couldn’t find the feature.. only later to realize my video clips were FHD! (I rarely shoot 4K on EOS R because of the crop). D’Oh!

This sounds like it will be a great camera, and that finally Canon are not holding back on video specs after so many years of utter crap with their dslr and mirrorless offerings. I don't care about 8k and would rather they go the same way as Fuji XT3 and get a great 4k image from 6k sensor
My major concern is price - the last time they put decent video in a small form - the 1DC, they then priced it way out of reach of us mortals and failed to support it properly. So it became a non event until years later when prices plummeted. I hope they don't pull the same stunt here. What price are people willing to pay if most of these rumoured specs are true? That many people bought the severely crippled EOS-r at the price it is makes me think they can charge whatever and people will still buy it because it's a Canon. Again I really hope they've changed and that this camera sets the new bar for both video quality and value for money 

This is my first post here so hi to everyone.

I must say the R5 is great news for all of us that started filming dslr with Canon. And most of us do not care about 8k so much, we care for a solid 4k with more than 30fps and maybe 10bit. As a Sony current user (weddings), i would love to be able to get back to Canon asap. I must say that everytime i check in my old files some C100 footage (my favourite WDR profile), i miss it. But Sony gave us easy and inexpensive tools, HD 120 fps, 4k, and in a price that most people can buy. This is the key, the price. And there is a price point (Sony has it) that a camera can be a hit and win the market or stay in low sales. I think arround 3000-3500$ is that mark. In the wedding film industry where i am , its hard already for anyone to beat Sony. Sony managed every of its camera "issues", disadvantages, characteristics to become normal, almost a must for every wedding clip. And got many well know wedding videographers for ambassadors. So maybe Canon should make the "revolution" along with a greeat product give a better price than Sony's. And even so it will take time for other brand shooters to change all of their cameras and lenses and give back to Canon its 5d era. Maybe the R6 is coming to help there, i dont know. One thing is for sure, this year is going to be a battlefield for Canon and Sony. Who will win? The one that gives the most and cost less.

I can't help myself being so impatient about this camera and especially the first feedback from people that will it. I really think that all those times I was waiting for this perfect camera (for me at least) are about to end. I mean, look at the specs, even if there are some caveats (for sure), maybe no DPAF in 8k, or 2x crop in 4K120p, or 4k60 FF without AF but 1.3x crop with it as in the 1dxMkIII, etc. We have to step back a bit and see the entire scene, this is freaking good ! No camera is perfect but this one will be very very close !
Evreything we love about Canon (great colors, great lens choice, C-Log easy to grade, etc.) with all the improvements that Canon will offer on it (IBIS, 8k, 4k FF), I just can't wait. I was about to buy an S1H but was reluctant because of the AF, and I waited. Glad I did !

I cannot understand how a lot of you claim to "not care about 8K" and wish for "good 4K" in the same thought. The current technology capabilities cannot give both. So you either use less megapixels to achieve 6K, 5K to 4K downsampling or even just a clean 4K size like the a7S or you get the 4K mush that is the Canon 90D (32mp sensor). And don't forget about rolling shutter and the processing power needed to run DPAF on ~42mp.

• Administrators

4K on the A7R IV at 60MP is actually very good, it's a nice image. D850 from 46MP also very impressive. Does it pixel-peep as well as oversampled 6K? Is it as good in low light as an A7S? Not quite, but within the normal usable window where 90% of shots are it is closer than you'd think and up on the big screen it looks great.

I see the EOS R6 having better 4K than the EOS R5.

On the R5 it will probably be pixel binned 4K in full frame mode. If it is oversampled from 8K I'll be surprised, and if oversampled from 6K it'll have a crop.

Rolling shutter in 8K will be something to watch out for. It'll probably be quite bad, if you look at current fastest electronic shutter (Sony A9), that is a 24MP chip with stacked DRAM. The 'normal' 24MP chips have quite bad rolling shutter in 6K full pixel readout stills mode. So either Canon has a very fast running sensor the likes we have never seen before, or there will be a big trade off somewhere.

That's why I think its sensible to wait for the R6 specs to come out. Maybe wait until June to make a decision.

As per the R6 rumours, 1D X III specs in a mirrorless camera for $3000 would be very attractive, especially if they keep internal 5.5K RAW in there.

6 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I cannot understand how a lot of you claim to "not care about 8K" and wish for "good 4K" in the same thought. The current technology capabilities cannot give both. So you either use less megapixels to achieve 6K, 5K to 4K downsampling or even just a clean 4K size like the a7S or you get the 4K mush that is the Canon 90D (32mp sensor). And don't forget about rolling shutter and the processing power needed to run DPAF on ~42mp.

I am interested in 8K, but aside from delivering better quality 4K, which frankly 6K can do, I'm not sure there's a huge need for it in my workflow.  Yes, there is the crop possibilities.  But what of the trade off.  As others have said, there will well be more rolling shutter, there will massive file sizes.  Maybe limited recording time.

To be honest, what interests me is the codec, the extra functionality of the camera.  8K makes a fine boast, but until I'm delivering 6K footage, it is not something I urgently need.  I'd be more excited if they announced Canon were developing a camera that shot ProRes and had internal ND filters, SSD recording, different aspect ratios filming.. There a tonne of useful video functions I would like to see in mirrorless cameras, and I hate to see them neglected just  because manufacturers focus on the resolution war.

I moved on from Canon a long time ago (team Sony and ZCam now) but this has me interested - 

The one thing that really keeps this from matching, for instance, the A7III isn't the camera specs but the lack of third party mirrorless lenses!

The Tamron 2.8 zooms (and now Sigma's 24-70) are what really make the Sony's a great value and size/weight! Tamron is half of Canon's, both in price and weight.