Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

Cutting Edge sensor technology? Wondering what that means? 

What do you know Andrew? 🙂

Because being used to the outstanding ISO 64 dynamic range, details and mojo of D850 sensor for photography my excitement depends on if R5 delivers there & if there is PRORES 10bit internally at the video side.

I always searched for one body for high res photography and at least decent video quality, and since I prefer Nikon to Sony, the D850 was (and is) an excellent choice for its price. Canon was not even close. 

So curious about R5 Details....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A7S3 Dev Team: Ok, back to the drawing boards folks.

Seriously, I don't see how Sony or anyone is going to compete with this in the near future.

Nikon took a hard L yesterday with the D6 announcement. Now Canon is here to finish them off.

This camera feels like the true successor of the 5D3 (let's just forget the 5D4/EOS R).

No more Touch Bar, joystick & scroll-wheel are back. Even the Rate button is there, hallelujah!

Canon is back for revenge with the 1DX3 & R5. 

I'm just glad I stuck with them throughout the years (which will be regarded as the 'dark ages' lol).

1 hour ago, wind1414 said:

my excitement depends on if R5 delivers there & if there is PRORES 10bit internally at the video side

None of the japanese companies ever implemented ProRes in a DSLR or mirrorless camera. And nothing indicates this will change with the R5.

Would it be nice? Sure!

But sometimes you have to ask where such strange expectations come from. At least they‘re not based on any logical assumption or reality. 

3 minutes ago, Michi said:

None of the japanese companies ever implemented ProRes in a DSLR or mirrorless camera. And nothing indicates this will change with the R5.

Would it be nice? Sure!

But sometimes you have to ask where such strange expectations come from. At least they‘re not based on any logical assumption or reality. 

Yep unrealistic expectation if you count that even the C200, C300 II and C500 II do not have prores...

1 hour ago, Django said:

A7S3 Dev Team: Ok, back to the drawing boards folks.

Seriously, I don't see how Sony or anyone is going to compete with this in the near future.

Nikon took a hard L yesterday with the D6 announcement. Now Canon is here to finish them off.

This camera feels like the true successor of the 5D3 (let's just forget the 5D4/EOS R).

No more Touch Bar, joystick & scroll-wheel are back. Even the Rate button is there, hallelujah!

Canon is back for revenge with the 1DX3 & R5. 

I think that A7S-III it's not in the market probably because of this r5 

But Sony, if rumors of 60/15 megapixel quad pixel are true (androidlad not always is correct) will bring on the market a camera similar to this, but probably better spec wise.. 

61 megapixel 10 fps or 15 megapixel 40 fps 

Video 8k with rolling shutter or video 4k 120p without rolling shutter using 15 megapixel 

The best of both world 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, ajay said:

Hopefully Andrew will get answers to many unanswered questions about this camera. Their press release didn't reveal much as far as all the video features other than 8k. The 1DX Mark III appears to be media card hog and will require a lot of expensive memory chips. Will the R5 follow suit? What will the dynamic range be for video? What about higher frame rates? 120fps 4k? at what bit depth? Will it be a cropped 4k at 120fps? Recording length? Clog? Prores? Autofocus at higher 4k frame rates and/or 8k?

Been down this road so many times with Canon and then have the rug pulled out from under me. Looking forward to verifiable specs before getting giddy about this camera.

We were all expecting a lot more info than the one page press release that's for sure.

Seems Canon is keeping some stuff close to their chest to avoid Sony being able to outgun with A7S III.

And why the development announcement 6 months before the camera is launched - the answer is that they want to dampen sales of the Sony A7S III and Fuji X-T4 which are both now imminent.

There are signs there was also a bit of a waiting game at Sony. They wanted to see what Canon had planned before pushing the button on the A7S III.

I see the EOS R5 as a competitor not just to the A7S III but to the A7R IV and successor too.

Sony is in trouble here. They are going to see quite a few ex-Canon users leave and go back home.

It will depend on how invested they were in E-mount glass. If they all kept their EF lenses and used adapters, Sony are going to see a big fall off.

Panasonic need to raise to the game as well, get autofocus sorted out (and with the MC-21 not just their own lenses) as a matter of urgency.

^I think that torch/hammer should really be passed on to Sony.. who keep recycling sensors & processors.. and still haven't gone beyond the 8-bit 100mbps 4K30p video specs introduced 5 years ago on the A7S2.

Meanwhile, Canon have introduced 5.5K RAW & 10-bit on 1DX3 and have now leapfrogged everyone with first 8K mirrorless.

That said, the R5 will surely have some limitations. I'm betting on no 10-bit internal. Maybe RAW.

8K with a crop? Burst? I'll let the sensor mathematicians make those calculations!

My predictions:

- ~42mp sensor, giving the perfect 8K size in 16:9, very good photo IQ

- 8K at 24p/30p, no AF, terrible RS

- Soft uncropped 4K30p, additional crop for faster framerates

- Excellent IBIS and OIS plus EIS combinations, however, EIS will degrade IQ quite a bit

Sony can still come back on top, they've had a lot of time to improve their tech. IMO, a7SIII should come with the same 42mp count but with a fan and the ability to downsample 8K to 4K and EIS that does not butcher IQ.

4 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Yes, see what I said before. Basically it will be 8K for the headlines and to have the "8K ready" sticker on the box...

Yeah maybe its 8K sensor will be to the R what the 4K sensor was to the original C300/C100 - it’s there processing internally but won’t output 8K (I mean who needs that anyway??)

Actually this could be great news because the images from those cameras have mojo. Remember Larry Thorpe’s ‘secret sauce’ for those cameras was 444 internal processing with no debayering - one output pixel from exactly one RGGB pixel group: the colours were assembled like an oldskool three-chip sensor block… two megapixels of red, two megapixels of blue and four megapixels of green (carried the luminance info). 

With an 8K sensor Canon could simply apply the same old method on the R5, where each primary colour sampled off the sensor would be native 3840×2160, and each colour value alone would be equal to the final output resolution.  Just hope the readout is fast enough on the R5. If there’s rolling shutter, I swear...

16 minutes ago, Django said:

^I think that torch/hammer should really be passed on to Sony.. who keep recycling sensors & processors.. and still haven't gone beyond the 8-bit 100mbps 4K30p video specs introduced 5 years ago on the A7S2.

Meanwhile, Canon have introduced 5.5K RAW & 10-bit on 1DX3 and have now leapfrogged everyone with first 8K mirrorless.

That said, the R5 will surely have some limitations. I'm betting on no 10-bit internal. Maybe RAW.

8K with a crop? Burst? I'll let the sensor mathematicians make those calculations!

Well if there will be no 10bit internal it would  be very dissapointing given the massive hype

More interesting than 8k for me is oversampled 4k, if they have the processing power for 30fps of 8k video, the R6 should be able to produce a great 4k image and as mentioned a 1:1 4k crop mode too. And 20fps, its a a9 and a FS7 all rolled into one camera.

With CFexpress it should easily do 10-bit internal on pretty much everything - except maybe 8k.

Just sold my a73 to test the EOS-r waters as my new gig uses Canon and the 5d4 so I have expanded lens options. Looks like my only Sony body will be the a6300 for my underwater housing. As of now the XT4 is dead to me too. I don't see how the mythical a7s3 cam come close to this without doing something Sony has never done - step over the FS/FX line. 

Bravo Canon!

Chris

• Administrators

X-T4 "dead to me"

A7S III has to "step over FX line"

Yep, it's not looking good for the competition.

The brand name Canon and lure of 8K will be too much for many people, but the best thing for me about Canon's great awakening is that hopefully they will get all the basics right... Like full frame 10bit 4K with no crop, great colour science, the classic cinematic 1D C look in C-LOG, Dual Pixel AF and very good IBIS, all in a nice mirrorless body which has a much better and more "pro" control layout compared to the silly toy one that came before it.

20 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I don't see how the mythical a7s3 cam come close to this without doing something Sony has never done - step over the FS/FX line. 

Agreed. Sony are in a rut. They're $11K FX9 only does UHD. 10-bit but no internal Raw.

No way XDCam managers will let Alpha series equate let alone go above that. 

Sony will have to fall back on other tech to impress their (shrinking by the minute) audience. Lowlight, megapixels, AF (insect recognition?) etc..

37 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

X-T4 "dead to me"

A7S III has to "step over FX line"

Yep, it's not looking good for the competition.

The brand name Canon and lure of 8K will be too much for many people, but the best thing for me about Canon's great awakening is that hopefully they will get all the basics right... Like full frame 10bit 4K with no crop, great colour science, the classic cinematic 1D C look in C-LOG, Dual Pixel AF and very good IBIS, all in a nice mirrorless body which has a much better and more "pro" control layout compared to the silly toy one that came before it.

You forgot flippy screen for our vlogger friends😅😅

But seriously, how do we know there is not some catch that'll cripple it. 

Plus the a7siii could always have an electronic variable ND. That would set it apart.