Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I suppose the issue could hide in the combination of any of these: hdmi output, internal writing to card, card speed not fast enough.

Regarding moire on the those tissues, isn't this simply related to the physic of optics (nyquist theory, sensor pixel pitch, ecc.)? What camera do not show it with that kind of cloth?

On 8/6/2019 at 2:17 PM, Mattias Burling said:

I've never been able to sit through a wedding video. Total respect for people that make them, but I'm really glad I've stayed away from that business..

The thing that gets me is that you are telling the same story, over and over, just with different people. They are also expecting many of the same shots (e.g. bride walking down the aisle), so your ability to be creative is limited. I have several friends who are very talented wedding videographers, but I am not sure that I could do it long term. I have an edge because we live broadcast events, so I generally just give the bride the live footage without much/any editing :) 

@Mattias Burling many people say they will skip the wedding video, but end up getting one anyway (bride's request) because it is a great way to capture some of the highlights of the day. Many people want to remember that day... 

10 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Hmmm....my QXD card is blazing fast. I have written to XQD alone and with SD card at the same time too. What XQD do you have? Could it have defective cells in it?

Okay, thanks for the report.  I have a 32 GB Sony G card (R: 440MB/s W:400MB/s).  Maybe I'll try reformatting the card since it sounds like an isolated thing.  I was worried this was normal writing performance!

• Super Members
5 hours ago, drm said:

@Mattias Burling many people say they will skip the wedding video, but end up getting one anyway (bride's request) because it is a great way to capture some of the highlights of the day. Many people want to remember that day... 

My GF finds them cheesy so it wouldn't be for us :)

But let's say she really really did want one, I probably would consider it just so I could remind her of it the next time I bought an expensive camera ;)

1 hour ago, Patrick B. said:

Okay, thanks for the report.  I have a 32 GB Sony G card (R: 440MB/s W:400MB/s).  Maybe I'll try reformatting the card since it sounds like an isolated thing.  I was worried this was normal writing performance!

Yup, a reformat seems to have fixed the issue. 

Been a week now of doing my own vlog tests. For my kind of work this is all the DR I need. 1 stop over outside and 2 stop over when there's a good mix of shadow and highlight. Also setting my zebras to 95%. I'm actually quite satisfied with the eva1 rec 709 conversion LUT and just grade by look. Compared to XT3 and A7iii this is by far the most flexibility I have in post for color grading. I can push hue and saturation and even add color boost in resolve and I'm not seeing any banding or artifacts. I know RAW is still king but the convenience I'm getting with IBIS and decent AF is making my shooting that much easier. I wish they add more video assist features like false colors and vector scope.  

Just received my S1 replacement, and 2 new lenses : Canon 200 f2.8 II (Thanks @Mattias Burling ! Been wanting this lens for ages when I was a Nikon shooter, and your video on it finished to sold me) and a Samyang 20 1.8.

So, if someone is interested, I tested both with the Sigma MC-21. AF with the Canon 200 is... really sh*t ? Sometimes it hunts a lot, sometimes it nails it quickly, and most of the time it plays back and forth for 1.5s before acquire focus (on rare occasions, it get lost into a parallel universe ; gonna check if I end up with a Stranger Things upside-down look !). The good thing is the manual focus on this lens is really great, so, when AF fails, I back it up in no time. IBIS is absolutely fantastic, I can't believe how it is good. Less good than with the 24-105 dual is but, seriously, I managed to stay steady, tripod like. Concerning the lens itself : I never had such a sharp lens, maybe a Fuji 90 f2 ; I love the look it gives to the image. I wanted a small, light and bright tele lens for multiple uses : distant landscape, documentary, deep sky astrophoto and occasional portrait, for stills, and roughly same things + wildlife (using it in crop mode) for video. Of course I would happily take a usable AF in every mode, but for that I'm waiting on L-mount lenses in the future.

The Samyang 20 1.8 works with the sigma MC21 with no problem (manual lens with zero electronic). Gonna use it for nightscape photography and "tripod" landscape, and, most importantly, for filming real-time northern lights. The lens is not very good @1.8 except in the center, but things get better @2.2, and really good at @2.8. I'm also eager to try it for video : 20mm + 1.8 could be fun !

Ah, and my VLOG package is arriving next week !

20190810_182119.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 6:01 PM, Patrick B. said:

Anyone with the MC-21 gotten the touchscreen AF-S to work? With the Canon 20mm f/2.8 the box moves but won’t actually focus unless I hit the shutter or AF on button. Tried in Lumix Sync app and same sort of thing where box moves with no focusing. Videos I’ve seen and the manual led me to believe a single tap would trigger the actual focus. Could be my Canon lens maybe? 

FYI... So, I thought I did my homework on the limitations with the MC-21, but I overlooked this in the fine print:

・Touch AF cannot be used.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2019/03/29/2091/

Apparently the Touch AF specifically does not work with the MC-21.  (Panasonic's own support was pretty much worthless as they told me that AF ON must be pressed for Touch AF to work.  I believe that is NOT true, and it will work with native L-mount lenses.)

Most people probably won't miss this feature, but for me it's big bummer as I was banking on being able to use the Lumix Sync app to acquire focus remotely (like Canon and the GH cameras) and not have to sink money into expensive L-mount lenses.  I might try out the Sigma 45mm before I decide to give up on the camera though.

21 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Just want to add something concerning AF with the Canon 200 f2.8 adapted via MC 21, as I am testing it a bit more right now. I was diving through the AF menu, and found a setting that just dramatically improve the ability to focus + speed  ? Really do not know why it improves a lot... but here is the settings : under settings, Focus-Shutter 2 /Pinpoint AF setting / Pinpoint AF Display => default is "PIP", and I changed it to FULL. I feel it now behaves not far from the demos I have seen from Sigma EF mount used with MC 21.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, Justforfun said:

Been a week now of doing my own vlog tests. For my kind of work this is all the DR I need. 1 stop over outside and 2 stop over when there's a good mix of shadow and highlight. Also setting my zebras to 95%. I'm actually quite satisfied with the eva1 rec 709 conversion LUT and just grade by look. Compared to XT3 and A7iii this is by far the most flexibility I have in post for color grading. I can push hue and saturation and even add color boost in resolve and I'm not seeing any banding or artifacts. I know RAW is still king but the convenience I'm getting with IBIS and decent AF is making my shooting that much easier. I wish they add more video assist features like false colors and vector scope.  

I must ask:  what eva1 rec. 709 conversion LUT?  This is different from the Varicam lut supplied by Panasonic?  And available where?

2 hours ago, helium said:

I must ask:  what eva1 rec. 709 conversion LUT?  This is different from the Varicam lut supplied by Panasonic?  And available where?

Sorry I meant to say Varicam LUT. Although Daniel Peters released a rec709 conversion that closely matches the Blackmagic ursa mini pro for that more organic look. Look him up on youtube if you're interested I might actually try it out myself (it's $5 or something for his LUT pack)

On 7/30/2019 at 1:25 AM, Geoff_L said:

Andrew's video test ! Hope it was not a "supposed to be hidden before the article is online" video accidentally released ? Maybe M83's We Own The Sky Track plays a big role in the feeling, but I really really love the image !

I can't get past the IBIS distortion that all cameras suffer from.  This also looks videoish. Not liking how it handle cadence.

Thinking about getting this one instead of a Pocket 6K.
Slapping a Sigma MC21 adapter in front of it, some Rokinon primes, Haida VariND, V-Log licence and call it a day. May add a Ninja V later for UHD60p.
Will miss 4K DCI but V-Log footage looks super detailed and clean.

Also didn't see any sharpening nor destructive nr in the clips uploaded so far.
May be the better option for me?
Also how long does it take to get the free V-Log code usually?

16 minutes ago, deezid said:

Thinking about getting this one instead of a Pocket 6K.
Slapping a Sigma MC21 adapter in front of it, some Rokinon primes, Haida VariND, V-Log licence and call it a day. May add a Ninja V later for UHD60p.
Will miss 4K DCI but V-Log footage looks super detailed and clean.

Also didn't see any sharpening nor destructive nr in the clips uploaded so far.
May be the better option for me?
Also how long does it take to get the free V-Log code usually?

Still waiting for mine to be delivered. I received a mail from Panasonic France on august 9th, saying I will receive it in a week (so I hope I will have it on Monday or Tuesday). But i believe the delivering method is country dependent. I tried a Samyang 20 1.8 with MC21, and it was great. I returned it, because I want larger field of view, and I will order the 14 f2.8 next week (want this sigma 14 1.8... but my wallet and backpack don't). I also got an Haida VariND (love it !) !
I have the 24-105 L "kit lens". Of course, not a character lens, nor extremely bright, but so useful range and unbelievable dual IS. I just tried the LINEAR focus mode with this lens. First time for me, and it is just wonderful. You can quickly change the focus adjustment range from 90° to 360°. I leave it on 150° and adjust when I need to have more or less range.

I am still discovering the camera (more on the still side for the moment), but I really love it.  Also, concerning cards, it seems to work well with my "old" Sandisk pro 95Mb/s ; I tried 4k 24 and 4k60, and I faced no problem. I hope it will be the same with the Vlog upgrade (I believe @Lars Steenhoff confirmed that), so it won't be an expensive cards eating machine. I may order a Lexar v60 to try.

36 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Yes the 95 mb card is working fine for me, although I would not mind having a faster card, because there seems to be a little delay when I want to playback a picture just after taking it, as it needs to write to the card. ( using RAW + JPG fine )

Yes I noticed that to. It takes a certain amount of time to write after a long burst (But I don't machine gun shoot, so it's OK!).