EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think a lot of YouTubers will eat this camera up. Reliable autofocus, Canon colors, good support. While I like Panasonic, their auto-focus is crap. Sony is still behind in color science. It's fair to say that there are more YouTubers and aspiring YouTubers than serious indie film makers. News of Canons demise has been greatly exaggerated. If BM had put a flippy screen on the new Pk4, they would have reached the "vlogging" market they claimed to be targeting. But without good AF and a flippy screen it would be a poor choice for those users. Granted, I still plan to pick one up. Those things do not bother me. But from a marketing standpoint? 

Honestly, I am just glad to see things moving forward. Even if Canikon are being forced to move forward, kicking and screaming. We can hold out hope that Panasonic will show us some true innovation on the 25th... I REALLY want to see that new organic sensor make it into their new full frame camera. But at the same time, would be surprised to see it in anything less than a new Varicam at this stage. On another note Samsung is said to be producing full frame sensor in meaningful quantities that are being shipped to Japan. So who knows what that could mean? Things are certainly getting interesting.

19 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I think a lot of YouTubers will eat this camera up. Reliable autofocus, Canon colors, good support. While I like Panasonic, their auto-focus is crap. Sony is still behind in color science. It's fair to say that there are more YouTubers and aspiring YouTubers than serious indie film makers. News of Canons demise has been greatly exaggerated. If BM had put a flippy screen on the new Pk4, they would have reached the "vlogging" market they claimed to be targeting. But without good AF and a flippy screen it would be a poor choice for those users. Granted, I still plan to pick one up. Those things do not bother me. But from a marketing standpoint? 

Honestly, I am just glad to see things moving forward. Even if Canikon are being forced to move forward, kicking and screaming. We can hold out hope that Panasonic will show us some true innovation on the 25th... I REALLY want to see that new organic sensor make it into their new full frame camera. But at the same time, would be surprised to see it in anything less than a new Varicam at this stage. On another note Samsung is said to be producing full frame sensor in meaningful quantities that are being shipped to Japan. So who knows what that could mean? Things are certainly getting interesting.

Is there really going to be that much demand for a full-frame, $2,000+ vlogging camera, though? Because even if we restrict ourselves to talking about Canon cameras, I'd have thought the 80D and M50 would have had most bases covered for that market (outside of the lack of 4K support on the former).

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

Right tool for the right job is only applicable to people with enough money to buy a lot of tools!

if you can drop $2300 on a camera that has limited use as an all round photo camera, and requires two different sets of lenses (at the wide end) to shoot in stills vs. video, go for it.

I agree is expensive right now, but we will get a better price later, and for the things I am shooting is covering all bases, I need this camera for fiction, run and gun, and mountaineering, this is a pefect tool for me. For your case, I guess you are using a Sony, so no need to change...

11 minutes ago, Django said:

Video oriented hands-on:

Footage doesn't look too bad for a F4 lens in those lighting conditions. Pretty stable next-gen body/lens IS com. Dual Pixel AF better than C200 apparantly..

This looks great, and the DPAF is certainly fantastic, this is the camera i have been waiting for, just less expensive, I will have to wait some time for a better price....

4 hours ago, Django said:

Video oriented hands-on:

Footage doesn't look too bad for a F4 lens in those lighting conditions. Pretty stable next-gen body/lens IS com. Dual Pixel AF better than C200 apparantly..

Looks like C200 non-raw footage.
Heavily filtered without any actual detail but unsharp mask halos...

No thanks.
The XT-3 and Pocket 4K produce way richer footage.

18 hours ago, DBounce said:

If everyone is so bothered by the crop,  I guess the new blackmagic pk4 is off the list? My C200 is cropped, but somehow it has never bothered me.  

Personally I find too much dof is not helpful for video.  If it does not support the story it has no place.  And usually when sorry telling you want context,  which is hard to show when the background is consistently nothing but blurry bokeh. 

Full frame is mostly for stills. Most film is shot on Super 35. This camera can do both in their ideal format.  What's the problem? Plus the footage looks good. It has mojo. 

Looks pretty dam filmic to me... 

Funniest comment from Youtube:

"Living that 720p life in 2018! Bold bold move Canon"

6 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Nor can a ff camera with an apsc lens... So you put a ff lens on and we're back to where we started with the changing fov.

another reason not to buy! I'm not a pro. I can only afford one body that's a good all rounder. Probably other people can get dedicated cameras for sports, video, astrophotography, etc. I do a little bit of each for fun, and I bet most consumers, like me, only want one body.

if the eos r works for you, great! But the crop is a deal breaker for me and (apparently) many others on this forum and elsewhere. And it's not the fact that it's cropped that bothers us--many of us are interested in the p4k--it's that as a hybrid stills and video camera, it fails to deliver what we need from a hybrid.

"but just move back" you said? On a recent shoot I was balancing on a tiny rock on the bank of class 5 Rapids, shooting kayakers. Nowhere to move back. No time to change lenses. I happily used my nx1 to shoot 4K, 28 megapixel stills at 15fps, and nice 120fps hd. All with a consistent fov. Seems like a really poor deal to spend 2-3xthe money on a camera that can't do any of that.

again, if it works for you, then that is fantastic!  I'm Just explaining why it doesn't work for me.

Right tool for the right job is only applicable to people with enough money to buy a lot of tools!

if you can drop $2300 on a camera that has limited use as an all round photo camera, and requires two different sets of lenses (at the wide end) to shoot in stills vs. video, go for it.

This thread makes me want to buy another NX-1.  Seriously.  Close to Canon colors once tweaked - I just hated not having AF adapters for long Canon mount lenses.  Everything else I loved, save for the fact once rolling video you couldn't toggle between the EVF or rear screen.  Drove me nuts.  Ok I don't want one now.  I remember why we broke up.

It's sad to see again from Canon "crippling" features since I can't think that a giant like it cannot afford better sensor readout or a better burst with continuous AF.

Canon is good at making attractive presentation video clip and very few people, as IronFilm writes, want to take more time to understand better before judging a product.

Giuspin

Canon EOS R review

10 minutes ago, Django said:

Nice to see they included Cinema EOS Original color matrix option in C Log menu for easy matching with C100/C300.  

That is pretty cool. It seems like the EOS-R is a great hybrid B-Cam for C100/300 users. If I were looking to start doing some paid work, I think the original C100 and an EOS-R would be a killer, workhorse combo.

When refurbished units hit the Canon store, I may give it a try. I’m still undecided though, especially after hearing that the ML has made some progress with the 5D4.