Andrew Reid

EOS R official video specs discussion

Nikon Z7 has it for breakfast.

About the only improvement over the 5D Mark IV seems to be substituting MJPEG for H.264. Not that it was overdue or anything!

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/09/here-are-the-official-video-specs-of-the-canon-eos-r-full-frame-mirrorless/

About only thing I can hope for is that the 4K is somehow full frame and not a crop but I honestly just think it is a 5D Mark IV in a mirrorless body, looking at the specs sheet, rather than anything really new.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The uhd data rate at 480mbps ALL-I is good, fhd at 90mbps 24fps not too bad either, athough GH5 fhd is 200mbps.

SD card is cheaper than say CFast.

1 minute ago, Jn- said:

The uhd data rate at 480mbps ALL-I is good, fhd at 90mbps 24fps not too bad either, athough GH5 fhd is 200mbps.

SD card is cheaper than say CFast.

480Mbit is similar to MJPEG. It's inefficient. Per frame, no quality increase over the 120Mbit IPB.

Well the GH5 has 400 mbps, so I see that as a step up.  

It has a low pass filter though.

No mention of HDMI output data rate etc.

It should shine in focussing, DPAF,  low light, -6 ev, I love the gh5 type screen flexibility for video, top lcd, ND filter drop in, not too shabby battery life. I think, on paper theres a lot to like, if the price is $1900.

Key will be zero 4K crop and image quality, compared to the competition.

My XC10 had a high bitrate codec and it was terrible quality in UHD so don't expect miracles as it's the codec and compression method that's important and not the bitrate. Also no mention if it's 4.2.0 or 4.2.2 chroma subsampling and I assume it's 8 bit.

58 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes they are official. Sorry to disappoint you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CAZOijAyrUJcOMWNHbjFpGq2CznrIAoN

You have proof that this isn't a fake? It's easy enough to create an impressive PDF showing whatever video specs that you want. That document is on Google Drive not on www.canon.com

On paper, I'm disappointed but not totally surprised. It's a totally conservative move done so they can drip feed updates on future camera models while protecting the cinema.  It's a step in the right direction. I'm interested in the new lenses and the secondary control ring more than the camera now. Looking forward to the Panasonic announcement, they are sure to at least be on par with Sony. 

1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

My XC10 had a high bitrate codec and it was terrible quality in UHD so don't expect miracles as it's the codec and compression method that's important and not the bitrate. Also no mention if it's 4.2.0 or 4.2.2 chroma subsampling and I assume it's 8 bit.

Your XC10 is a small senor, slow lens system.  Most likely one of the reasons that it has a high data rate was to attempt to overcome those deficits.

If this is 8 bit only then the data/frame is even higher, I do hope though that its 10 bit ALL-I.

I would kind of be amazed if it doesn't have 10bit with HDMI out. Both the Nikon Z6 and Z7 have 10 bit out. You know Canon and Nikon have moles in each others company's. I can't believe Canon would let Nikon outdo them with that spec. 

Now with no IBIS stated that sounds crazy in this day and age if true. That would be almost a given if they want to go for the Vlogger crowd. At least it has a flippy screen. 😐

Common sense really.  The smaller the photo recepter diodes, the poorer the lens speed then less light per photo site to play with.  If you were to couple that with a bog standard low data rate, wouldnt be great.

Id say there is an optimal data rate for each system, above which the law of diminishing returns means that thats it, no improvement.  Too low data rate, below what is optimal for a given system, i.e. sensor size/lens system etc etc will give an inferior result.

Because of overheating constraints etc, we probably don’t normally get close to optimal data rates, example 100 Mbps for 4K , thats why I think given the relatively high price point for the XC10 and its limitations as mentioned above that they did give it a good data rate.

17 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would kind of be amazed if it doesn't have 10bit with HDMI out. Both the Nikon Z6 and Z7 have 10 bit out. You know Canon and Nikon have moles in each others company's. I can't believe Canon would let Nikon outdo them with that spec. 

Don't forget that Nikon doesn't have a cinema line of cameras to protect. I bet no 10-bit anything.