EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I agree on the first part Sony also protects their higher end lines regarding video stuff like XAVC I at 600mpbs like the FS7 has will probably never trickly down into an A7s body.

Sure the 8 bit codec at 100mbps is thin but the 4K image quality is amazing, class leading dynamic range and definitely sharper and more detailed 4K than out of the 5Dmk4 and M50.. Maybe im used to the 6K and 5K oversampling from Panasonic and Sony but the M50s 4K looks like its upscaled 1080P.

Ive never had an issue with the menus on my Sony's maybe its because I spend a lot of time behind my cameras so I just get used to it? 

Sony lenses are not horribly overpriced, they are all brand new offerings to the market. Most of the equivalent Canon lenses have been on the market for over 10 years so the prices have dropped. Look at the brand new Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM ($1,600) The G master equivalent is $1,800.  The recently announced Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM is $1,300 the Sony 70-200mm f/4 is $1,300 The new 70-200 2.8 is $2100 the Sony equiv is definitely more expensive but its also corrected for Focus breathing and its par focal.

You'll be surprised when the new mirrorless lenses prices drop they will be right in line with Nikon Z and Sony E mount prices.

Going to autofocus.. 7:57 Sony seems better to me in his test.

Every brand has its pros and cons I used shoot Canon, switched to Sony and was REALLY close to getting  the GH5 when it first dropped. Just have to pick the best system for needs is all.

High end video cameras can do more because they are physically bigger and have better cooling solutions than stills cameras. It is not deliberate market segmentation, it is segmentation that happens because of the physical nature of the body. They are pushing the a7 cameras as far as they can. If you want significantly better performance you will need a significantly bigger body. For that reason high end pro video equipment will always outperform small consumer cameras. You trade off power for convenience.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, Django said:

@Mokara few people use live view for video in DSLRs? anyways we're talking mirrorless and just about every current mirrorless camera has peaking..

@mercer look closer, it's listed under playback. nothing indicates it'll be available in live view. it's a pretty annoying feature anyway imo.

Those DSLRs are not designed with video in mind, although they can do it. Not a whole lot of people shoot stills in live view mode with a DSLR, hence peaking is not there.

One other thing you guys keep forgetting is that these sorts of things are almost certainly covered by patents and what you can and can't use will be determined by whatever licence you have and when the patent expires. I work in the tech industry making cutting edge products, and we can only do a fraction of what we want to do because there is a huge minefield of IP owned by competitors out there. Just because something is possible does not mean you can use it. And even if you can use it in one product it does not mean you can use it in another for a different application. Not unless you don't mind being sued for retail proceeds of course.

It always surprises me how people who have no experience in the business world and how it works view things simplistically. Real life is not that straightforward and not everyone is out to screw you over. I can guarantee you that every single camera company out there, bar none, can't make the product they want to make because of all the related IP owned by the competition. What we as consumers get is the best compromise with what is possible without being sued.

10 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

Canon DPAF is just overrated,Sony 4D PDAF is actually better,because it can work in 120P mode

If Canon DPAF is really better,Why can't it work in 120P mode or taking photo up to 10fps per second as Sony does? 

Besides ,what affect the IQ most is sampling,not just code and bit rate

Panasonic 、Sony、Fuji 、even Nikon now do supersampling

Only Canon still stick to crop Pixel to Pixel  sampling video

On the Dpreview , the most soft 4K IQ is 5DIV, compare with its competitors

PC1.png.bb4f75caf5aa3696412c5631df3d8273.png

Not to mention EOS R does not have focus peaking and Zebra,how could it be a working tool? 

Wait for ML hack again?

LMAO

Canon DPAF can AF continuously at 120fps in the 1DxII, I use it many times..... 

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

Those DSLRs are not designed with video in mind, although they can do it. Not a whole lot of people shoot stills in live view mode with a DSLR, hence peaking is not there.

One other thing you guys keep forgetting is that these sorts of things are almost certainly covered by patents and what you can and can't use will be determined by whatever licence you have and when the patent expires. I work in the tech industry making cutting edge products, and we can only do a fraction of what we want to do because there is a huge minefield of IP owned by competitors out there. Just because something is possible does not mean you can use it. And even if you can use it in one product it does not mean you can use it in another for a different application. Not unless you don't mind being sued for retail proceeds of course.

It always surprises me how people who have no experience in the business world and how it works view things simplistically. Real life is not that straightforward and not everyone is out to screw you over. I can guarantee you that every single camera company out there, bar none, can't make the product they want to make because of all the related IP owned by the competition. What we as consumers get is the best compromise with what is possible without being sued.

5D series was not designed with video in mind?! It started the whole FF video craze..

Anyways that's all very interesting but i doubt any of that applies here. Peaking & Eye AF have nothing to do with anyone getting sued. Both features are already in their $600 M50 MILC. You wanna make us believe they can't use it in their EOS R because of some kind "IP minefield"? If patents exist for those features (which i doubt is the case, especially peaking) Canon visibly own them and can apply them however they want.

Reality is Canon are pros at product segmentation and have long kept video assist features for their cine line but they are also severely limited by their own tech. No BSI sensors, no IBIS system etc. Perhaps indeed if they tapped to Sony like Nikon did for sensors they wouldn't have fallen so behind, but Canon is stubborn and takes pride in doing things on their own. It's kinda reminiscent of Apple's stubborness to resist adopting intel chips in their Macs for the longest of times. Another thing is Canon likes to play it safe, and will withhold features to prioritize stability where others like Sony will cram features at the risk of overheat failures. 

I make a good living and was ready to hand B&H my CC# for one + the 35 1.8 and the 28-70 F/2.  I told myself I would not if the crop was worse that 1.4-1.5 in UHD.  Canon shot themselves in the foot again.

Canon is like the EX you broke up with a couple years ago - she comes back around every so often - you have a good one night fling and romanticize about the past.  Go out to dinner, talk about the 5d3 raw back in 2013, hop into bed.  Then the next day you hear she's still doing drugs - hasn't changed at all.  :)  There's a reason you two broke up.

I wanted to be wrong here - haven't been excited about a camera for a while - I hate the Sony colors and overheating, hate Panasonic's shitty AF, etc.

29 minutes ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

It shoots 4K at 30 fps, but as with the 5D Mark IV, there's a considerable 1.7 times crop factor.  the EOS R does have 4:2:2 10-bit video output externally via the HDMI port (internally, it's 8-bit). That will give serious video shooters more latitude for color correction. It also has 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks.

Yes, but are you 100% sure it's UHD out and not just 1080p out?  I don't recall any Canon bodies doing UHD HDMI out.

5 minutes ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

I’m looking, but just see this:

On the plus side, the EOS R does have 4:2:2 10-bit video output externally via the HDMI port (internally, it's 8-bit).

Not seeing any mention of HDMI 4K out...

I just can't buy a FF 1080 only camera in almost 2019.  Just can't.  Would way rather get the A7S III when it's released.  1.2-1.3x crop I could have dealt with.  At launch shooting UHD, the widest you can go natively (without adapters) is 24mm @ F/4 x 1.67 - effectively 40mm @ F/6.7 in FF terms.  Blech.