EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

5 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

Does not list the output resolution of HDMI though.  Only states "On the plus side, the EOS R does have 4:2:2 10-bit video output externally via the HDMI port (internally, it's 8-bit)."

4:2:2 10-bit video output, HDMI 4K out - 3:49

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Quite surprised by the specs on this camera. It sounds like it is about 3 years late. 

With the not particularly inspiring Nikon and now Canon announcements, Panasonic seems to be in a prime position. If they announce something that is basically a Full Frame GH5 , they will really be ahead of the game. 

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

It’s funny the last time me and the girlfriend watched a movie... she mentioned that she couldn’t really follow the story because they were shooting with a 45mm lens instead of a 28mm.

I think you mean the other way around.   Your premiss being they are using a 28mm to get a 45mm fov on a smaller sensor so its no big deal.   Theres nothing wrong with that size of sensor. M4/3rds is pleanty.  The issue is paying for a full frame camera and lenses.  But I guess if you are a hybrid shooter it gives you full frame stills, and ibis log all-i 4k internally in one camera.  That is a first I suppose.

4 minutes ago, MattH said:

I think you mean the other way around.   Your premiss being they are using a 28mm to get a 45mm fov on a smaller sensor so its no big deal.   Theres nothing wrong with that size of sensor. M4/3rds is pleanty.  The issue is paying for a full frame camera and lenses.  But I guess if you are a hybrid shooter it gives you full frame stills, and ibis log all-i 4k internally in one camera.  That is a first I suppose.

If I was a Canon apologist I would have said the same thing as him ??

The 4k resolution in the "4K" videos that have appeared so far appears pretty terrible. Most of looks like HD, some even 720p. I suspect that a lot of the footage has been shot at HD then upscaled to 4K for the marketing videos in order to minimize rolling shutter on all of the pans and action shots they are doing. Lots of really bad banding in the sky too, which suggests that it has been heavily modified in post and then kicked in the nuts on conversion to Youtube.

I am pretty sure that if what they show is typical of EOS-R 4K output I would be disappointed compared to my NX1. 

The thing that gets me is that towards the end of that video they make a big deal of being able to take a 4k jpeg screen grab from recorded 4k video.  So even a big stills feature uses that massive crop.  If that is such a big deal for stills then why did they make the sensor resolution so high?  I guess because a high mp stat sells cameras.