EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Although I think this is the sort of average tech spec that we have come to expect from Canon, I think it has some interesting touches.

1. Adapter with variable ND

2. Wifi transfer of raw to smartphone

3. Additional programmable ring on lenses

4. Programmable touchbar?

You can transfer RAW to Smartphone?! Finally! I can transfer GH5S RAW to phone and the magnitude of stuff you can do with RAW photo is a lot vs jpeg.  EOS R is the 2nd cam that can transfer RAW to smartphone, but with much bigger resolution it will take a lot longer to transfer I suppose

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@no_connection no i don't expect hollywood to be using the EOS R, my point however was that 10-bit 4:2:2 Log has it's relevance, on a tripod, on a gimbal, maybe even handheld with IS. I'll probably mainly be using it in 1080p so the crop/RS isn't even an issue..

@Shield3 that's a common misconception..  the amount of light is the same.  try it yourself by switching from FF to APS-C if your camera has that function, the image doesn't get darker.. same if you crop a photo, doesn't change the lighting.  plenty of videos explaining this, i like this one with the light meter analogy: https://youtu.be/VeQPtk7icjo

9 minutes ago, Django said:

@no_connection no i don't expect hollywood to be using the EOS R, my point however was that 10-bit 4:2:2 Log has it's relevance, on a tripod, on a gimbal, maybe even handheld with IS. I'll probably mainly be using it in 1080p so the crop/RS isn't even an issue..

@Shield3 that's a common misconception..  the amount of light is the same.  try it yourself by switching from FF to APS-C if your camera has that function, the image doesn't get darker.. same if you crop a photo, doesn't change the lighting.  plenty of videos explaining this, i like this one with the light meter analogy: https://youtu.be/VeQPtk7icjo

Wrong it's simple physics.  Go find a dark room on a sunny day.  Punch a small hole in the wall, then a large one.  Which one illuminates the room more?  It's not rocket science.  Light intensity is the same but the gathering is *not*.  All things being equal with sensors (exact same technology) a FF will gather ~2.2 stops more light than an APS-C one.  I don't have cameras that allow me to toggle between FF and APS-C, but the image quality / read noise will be worse and/or the ISO will go up to compensate.  Sorry you don't believe this, but it's really not tough.  A large mirror will reflect more light than a small one.  Think about this for a minute - the EOS R is *only* using the very center of the sensor to gather light.

Surprise surprise, the Nikon Z6 is still a better and cheaper camera for us filmmakers than the newly announced Canon EOS R!

Sure, it gained 10bit output and log (just like the Nikon Z6), but it basically is still a Canon 5Dmk4 (which means an awful crop, so why bother buying a FF camera in the first place? And no IBIS!).

So... it's a camera for AF-snobs and vloggers... mmkai. Not for me then. Couldn't afford those lenses anyways, lol.

They're on some kind of premo schtuff there at Canon. Not sure if weed, crack or a combination of exotic substances. 'In-camera Digital Lens Optimizer'... that 4K crop... but hey, it will probably still sell like hotcakes. Blame the people that keep buying their shit. Flippin' enablers. Maybe we should organize an intervention, ey?

> https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/eos-r-nicolai-brix-video/ ... lol

And if you use an old EF lens without stabilisation, you get the EOS R’s digital image stabilisation, and that’s a huge advantage – the camera actually improves my existing lenses. [..]

Why would a professional videographer use a full-frame mirrorless system?

[..] The Canon EOS R is a future-proof camera because 4K is getting more and more wanted by clients, so it will definitely be a useful system for me.

So full of it. ?

3 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

So... it's a camera for AF-snobs and vloggers... mmkai. Not for me then. Couldn't afford those lenses anyways, lol.

They're on some kind of premo schtuff there at Canon. Not sure if weed, crack or a combination of exotic substances. 'In-camera Digital Lens Optimizer'... that 4K crop... but hey, it will probably still sell like hotcakes. Blame the people that keep buying their shit. Flippin' enablers. Maybe we should organize an intervention, ey?

> https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/eos-r-nicolai-brix-video/ ... lol

Like Jordan Drake says, hope they stock up on those 10-18mm lenses.

3 hours ago, Shield3 said:

I make a good living and was ready to hand B&H my CC# for one + the 35 1.8 and the 28-70 F/2.  I told myself I would not if the crop was worse that 1.4-1.5 in UHD.  Canon shot themselves in the foot again.

Canon is like the EX you broke up with a couple years ago - she comes back around every so often - you have a good one night fling and romanticize about the past.  Go out to dinner, talk about the 5d3 raw back in 2013, hop into bed.  Then the next day you hear she's still doing drugs - hasn't changed at all.  :)  There's a reason you two broke up.

I wanted to be wrong here - haven't been excited about a camera for a while - I hate the Sony colors and overheating, hate Panasonic's shitty AF, etc.

Pretty Nikon colors with great AF is whispering its name into your ear.....

Don't worry about the body, they can add full sensor read out and IBIS in next generation. The important thing is that I think they're asking too much for that 50mm f/1.2. Sure its super corrected glass but this kind of pricing automatically gives green light to others (Nikon, Sony) to charge the same for their upcoming f/1.2 primes. Whats the point of new tech if its out of reach? 

19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Like Jordan Drake says, hope they stock up on those 10-18mm lenses.

Imagine one of those vloggers actually wanting to take a still with a 10-18 STM lens on there.  Oops.

Just now, Eric Calabros said:

Don't worry about the body, they can add full sensor read out and IBIS in next generation.

But they're asking for my hard earned $2300 in this generation.

2 hours ago, Django said:

@no_connection Most hollywood productions are locked tripod shots with a S35 crop. I think 10-bit 4:2:2 Log will be very useful in a handful of "static" situations.

Then why not buy a fuji X-T3 with 4K 60P , 10bit F-log output,and with film  simulations?

2 hours ago, Nikkor said:

With lenses priced like that you can go medium format.

The lens are too pricy

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, gelaxstudio said:

Then why not buy a fuji X-T3 with 4K 60P , 10bit F-log output,and with film  simulations?

It will probably have great AF in video mode to boot. And much more affordable fast primes.

18 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

eos-r-video-features-10.jpg

Is that 100% confirmation of no Canon LOG internally?