EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

If I was a Canon apologist I would have said the same thing as him ??

Not an apologist, I just don’t care. I like Canon color and Canon lenses. I shoot FF on my 5D3 and love it. But I also like S35mm and S16mm. I’m planning on buying an FZ2500 for a modern S16 look for a specific project I’m going to be working on this winter.

I may buy an EOS-R next year as a hybrid, or I may not. But having to shoot with a crop won’t keep me from utilizing the strengths of the camera.

29 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Thing is you are still getting a full frame stills camera with 30 megapixels. The video crop is fine if u need to shoot photos and vids. Some of the advantages more than outweigh that inconvenience. Xt3 cant do full frame stills. So it doesnt compete. 

Yeah I'm not ashamed of saying my XT2 is on it's way out, and the EOS R will be replacing it. It'll be a perfect B-cam to my C100 (or maybe it'll be the other way around!) The 4k crop sucks but i've been living with that same exact crop just fine on the XT2.  Will probably need to get the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 and a new gimbal.

I'll probably mostly still shoot in 1080p, with cropped 4K shots for punching-in or product close-ups. I'm real excited about 10-bit CLog & Focus Guides for MF.

Smooth aperture control via ring adapter for my EF legacy glass & Eye-AF is a cool bonus too.

Overall this is satisfactory for my needs at the given price point. Would not have paid 5D4 money for it though.

2 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

With lenses priced like that you can go medium format.

Yeah that 28-70mm sounds awesome... at $1500 or less... not at $3000. I’m sure there are plenty of reasons to change the mount... but for me, the best part of the RF Mount is the EF ND adapter. 

With that bad rolling shutter it's pretty much dead on arrival, what point is 10bit if you can't use it?

"– Still a huge ass crop in 4K recording. Looks the same as 5D IV. Heavy rolling shutter as well. (info via Jordan Drake)"

And no sign of any speed booster to help with crop factor ether (at least not electronic), at best maybe metabones could hack something unofficial. No 3rd party RF lenses ether.

"– Canon will not be opening up the RF mount specs to third parties (info via Jordan Drake)"

2 minutes ago, no_connection said:

With that bad rolling shutter it's pretty much dead on arrival, what point is 10bit if you can't use it?

I hate bad RS but not everyone is doing whip pans & fast action shots. It'll be more then usable for corporate interviews, product shots, tripod work etc.

Lack of 120fps @ 1080p is inexcusable however.

1 hour ago, Shield3 said:

I just can't buy a FF 1080 only camera in almost 2019.  Just can't.  Would way rather get the A7S III when it's released.  1.2-1.3x crop I could have dealt with.  At launch shooting UHD, the widest you can go natively (without adapters) is 24mm @ F/4 x 1.67 - effectively 40mm @ F/6.7 in FF terms.  Blech.

Just asking, do you have some kind of aversion to Nikon. I mean nearly everything you are asking for is on the z6 for about same price as the eos R.

If that is what you use it for than I really don't think it adds anything what so ever compared to previous offerings.

Granted AF is the only thing that would save it, but no Eye AF and limited choice for lenses with the crop, kinda limits the success.

I still say 10bit is wasted on it if all you do is static shots with a heavy crop factor.

@no_connection Most hollywood productions are locked tripod shots with a S35 crop. I think 10-bit 4:2:2 Log will be very useful in a handful of "static" situations.

@Shield3 Yeah i already aknowledged that.. was only half serious with that comment anyways but since we're getting technical it should be reminded that although DoF increases while cropping, an F1.2 or F2 remains the same as far as light gathering is concerned.. so no stops are lost.

4 minutes ago, Django said:

@no_connection Most hollywood productions are locked tripod shots with a S35 crop. I think 10-bit 4:2:2 Log will be very useful in a handful of "static" situations.

@Shield3 Yeah i already aknowledged that.. was only half serious with that comment anyways but since we're getting technical it should be reminded that although DoF increases while cropping, an F1.2 or F2 remains the same as far as light gathering is concerned.. so no stops are lost.

How can the light gathering be the same when you're only using the center of the sensor to gather light?  No, it does change.  Next time it rains heavily, put small buckets and large buckets next to one another.  Which one gathers more total water?  The light intensity is the same, but alas, the light gathering is not.

You could make the argument if it were pixel binning (and still using the entire sensor).  But you're not - it's clearly using almost a damn S16 size sensor for UHD.

To be fair I got excited about the FF Canon ever since I played with the M50 in a store, was something about it that seemed nice when used with EVF. If only Canon didn't refuse to fix all the issues ppl have been complaining about since the a7s.

@DjangoSure most hollywood productions will choose this camera for it's amazing AF ability in crop mode on a tripod. If you remove the AF rec I don't see why you would choose this over anything else out there.

From a video perspective I think it's only strength is (if it can pull it off) nail perfect AF in handheld shots, but that needs lenses that can deal with 4k crop. And probably be stabilized too.