Jump to content

EOS R official video specs discussion


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

You know, several years back I compared Canon to Nintendo, in that while they were occasionally capable of making something truly incredible, a lot of the time their products were so embarrassingly awful that you ended up wondering how they ever got to be an industry leader.

Well, at least since then Nintendo have managed to produce the Switch. Canon have done the equivalent of producing a Wii U with a slightly nicer gamepad. Maybe it was Atari I should have been comparing Canon to - one revolutionary, industry-defining product, and then a whole load of disappointments.

(And no, I don't doubt that Canon will sell a ton of these based on reputation, lens quality, stills performance, and after-market service. They didn't get to be an industry leader for nothing. It's just kinda sad that a decade ago this November they came out with such a groundbreaking product, and now they're in the position whereby the only company in this market sector with unquestionably worse video quality and features is Pentax)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IOJKL said:

A lot of shots in that video are not 4k but 720p upscaled with a sharp mask, i suppose because of framerates limits in 4k and 1080p, the whole grope inside the plane for example.

He commented and said 1080 60p on some shots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

Full frame is mostly for stills. Most film is shot on Super 35. This camera can do both in their ideal format.  What's the problem? Plus the footage looks good. It has mojo. 

Looks pretty dam filmic to me... 

 

I find  your concept of “mojo” hilarious. Even funnier that you think that this turd with a horrible highlight roll off has “mojo” and the Nikon Z:s don’t. Please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Bowgett said:

You know, several years back I compared Canon to Nintendo, in that while they were occasionally capable of making something truly incredible, a lot of the time their products were so embarrassingly awful that you ended up wondering how they ever got to be an industry leader.

Well, at least since then Nintendo have managed to produce the Switch. Canon have done the equivalent of producing a Wii U with a slightly nicer gamepad. Maybe it was Atari I should have been comparing Canon to - one revolutionary, industry-defining product, and then a whole load of disappointments.

(And no, I don't doubt that Canon will sell a ton of these based on reputation, lens quality, stills performance, and after-market service. They didn't get to be an industry leader for nothing. It's just kinda sad that a decade ago this November they came out with such a groundbreaking product, and now they're in the position whereby the only company in this market sector with unquestionably worse video quality and features is Pentax)

I'm now taking 2:1 odds that even Pentax will catch up with Canon in the video leagues by 2022! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Exactly.

If a person doesn't care about "crop" they will buy the BMPCC4K

Or

GH5

Or

GH5S

Or

X-T3

Or

a6700 (when it arrives)

Or

You can see where this is going by now....

Basically -people will not buy the Canon EOS R

If a person doesn’t care about crop for video, but still wants full frame stills they will not buy any of the cameras you mentioned. I have to think Canon knows most shooter fall into this camp. While you are entitled to an opinion, your views are not mainstream. Most movies are still shot on cropped sensors. And most stills shooters prefer full frame. This is a  hybrid camera and thus must accommodate the populist view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nikkor said:

The problem is that you have to use fullframe lenses not m43 lenses (ef-s lenses are mostly crap)

Canon's own ones might be, but there are plenty of decent third-party crop lenses. The real problem is, if you're going down that route, you may as well slap them on a mirrorless from... well, basically any of the other manufacturers and call it a day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

The problem is that you have to use fullframe lenses not m43 lenses (ef-s lenses are mostly crap)

Exactly. And If you do use apsc lenses for video, and then switch to photo mode for a quick snap of the action, you won't be happy.

crop sensors are fine, forced switching between crop and full frame on the same body is not. It's unthinkable to shoot both photos and 4K video at the same event on this camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DBounce said:

If a person doesn’t care about crop for video, but still wants full frame stills they will not buy any of the cameras you mentioned. I have to think Canon knows most shooter fall into this camp. While you are entitled to an opinion, your views are not mainstream. Most movies are still shot on cropped sensors. And most stills shooters prefer full frame. This is a  hybrid camera and thus must accommodate the populist view.

Exactly, Canon R has its place in the market, I would love to get one, right now too espensive for me, but the colors are great, the DPAF is great, I can use all my Canon glasses which is great, I am most of the time shooting with 28mm on S35 sensor so that will be no so hard to match, Canon R has a lot of potential in the right hands, of course is not the perfect camera, and the biggest problem to me is the price, but I would love to have one....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Exactly. And If you do use apsc lenses for video, and then switch to photo mode for a quick snap of the action, you won't be happy.

crop sensors are fine, forced switching between crop and full frame on the same body is not. It's unthinkable to shoot both photos and 4K video at the same event on this camera.

Photo mode recognizes your EF-S lenses and automatically crops so you won't really notice a difference when switching between video & stills with APS-C glass.

As for using stills & 4k video with FF glass at an event, it really isn't that hard even if you absolutely need similar FoV, just either step a few feet backwards, pull back on your zoom lens... or change lenses (that is what an ILC is for!). Finally there is also a 8MP still grab feature from the 4K feed if necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Django said:

Photo mode recognizes your EF-S lenses and automatically crops so you won't really notice a difference when switching between video & stills with APS-C glass.

As for using stills & 4k video with FF glass at an event, it really isn't that hard even if you absolutely need similar FoV, just either step a few feet backwards, pull back on your zoom lens... or change lenses (that is what an ILC is for!). Finally there is also a 8MP still grab feature from the 4K feed if necessary.

if you auto crop to apsc, just buy an apsc camera. It will be cheaper and have higher resolution than the cropped portion.

 

changing lenses takes time, which you don't have when shooting things like sports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

if you auto crop to apsc, just buy an apsc camera. It will be cheaper and have higher resolution than the cropped portion.

 

changing lenses takes time, which you don't have when shooting things like sports.

Yeah but an APS-C camera can't go FF.. as for  sports shooting, not sure EOS R would be a good choice to begin with for that anyways with the slow burst rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

if you auto crop to apsc, just buy an apsc camera. It will be cheaper and have higher resolution than the cropped portion.

 

changing lenses takes time, which you don't have when shooting things like sports.

The right tool for the job, certainly the Canon R is not the tool for sports, there are many other options out there, for fiction, run and gun on the street without attracting much attention, I am sure the R will work fantastic....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Django said:

Yeah but an APS-C camera can't go FF.. as for  sports shooting, not sure EOS R would be a good choice to begin with for that anyways with the slow burst rate.

Nor can a ff camera with an apsc lens... So you put a ff lens on and we're back to where we started with the changing fov.

another reason not to buy! I'm not a pro. I can only afford one body that's a good all rounder. Probably other people can get dedicated cameras for sports, video, astrophotography, etc. I do a little bit of each for fun, and I bet most consumers, like me, only want one body.

if the eos r works for you, great! But the crop is a deal breaker for me and (apparently) many others on this forum and elsewhere. And it's not the fact that it's cropped that bothers us--many of us are interested in the p4k--it's that as a hybrid stills and video camera, it fails to deliver what we need from a hybrid.

"but just move back" you said? On a recent shoot I was balancing on a tiny rock on the bank of class 5 Rapids, shooting kayakers. Nowhere to move back. No time to change lenses. I happily used my nx1 to shoot 4K, 28 megapixel stills at 15fps, and nice 120fps hd. All with a consistent fov. Seems like a really poor deal to spend 2-3xthe money on a camera that can't do any of that.

again, if it works for you, then that is fantastic!  I'm Just explaining why it doesn't work for me.

11 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

The right tool for the job, certainly the Canon R is not the tool for sports, there are many other options out there, for fiction, run and gun on the street without attracting much attention, I am sure the R will work fantastic....

Right tool for the right job is only applicable to people with enough money to buy a lot of tools!

if you can drop $2300 on a camera that has limited use as an all round photo camera, and requires two different sets of lenses (at the wide end) to shoot in stills vs. video, go for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

If a person doesn’t care about crop for video, but still wants full frame stills they will not buy any of the cameras you mentioned. I have to think Canon knows most shooter fall into this camp. While you are entitled to an opinion, your views are not mainstream. Most movies are still shot on cropped sensors. And most stills shooters prefer full frame. This is a  hybrid camera and thus must accommodate the populist view.


Your blind faith in Canons understanding of markets needs/wants is laughable. They have a history over the last decade or so of just sliding by on name recognition and past accomplishments. I would go as far as saying the are the most clueless of major manufactures.   

 

For example:

5D iV - 4k 30p 500 Mb/s M-JPEG , I mean seriously its not the mid 90's anymore.   


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...