Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

On 9/21/2018 at 5:29 PM, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Hope to be wrong, but my bet is that they will keep CDAF with DFD, after the "AI DFD" rumors...

Well, I was bang on on this one. Panasonic was stubborn for years about IBIS too...

The rest looks interesting. Aggressive lens roadmap (without too much details) too.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’m hoping to see DJI jump in.

Ha, I was just going to say wait for the phantom 5! :)   

If it really is 70/30 stills to vid, then panasonic are bonkers. Unless they have 16bit HDR Raws, or something ground breaking, but even then, stills are increasingly less important as more than passible quality is becoming ubiquitous.  More and more content viewed on phones, for less and less time (swipe, swipe, swipe). Greater competition forcing rates down; how long before every (previously stills only) assignment will be for stills and vid? 

7 minutes ago, gethin said:

Ha, I was just going to say wait for the phantom 5! :)   

If it really is 70/30 stills to vid, then panasonic are bonkers. Unless they have 16bit HDR Raws, or something ground breaking, but even then, stills are increasingly less important as more than passible quality is becoming ubiquitous.  More and more content viewed on phones, for less and less time (swipe, swipe, swipe). Greater competition forcing rates down; how long before every (previously stills only) assignment will be for stills and vid? 

The only reason I can think of them doing this, is that they don't want to kill the m43 sales. 
Which makes sense from a marketing perspective. I think most people using the GH5 would abandon it for a FF version. 
But it's a bit of a pity for us if this is the case. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

An announcement of an announcement then.

I'll stick with my XH1 and XT2 while the dust settles on all this.

Yeah. Until the cameras get into the hands of reviewer's who can pick them apart, understand the various combinations of features that work well and those that are locked out, understand who there for, and then compare them, only then will I sink a solid four figures into a new system.

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The 70/30% photo/video part concerns me too. I imagined L Junior would be a GH5 on steroids - a mean video machine.

Will we ever see FF mirrorless with internal ND filters? Will other mfrs ever have sensible menu interfaces like BMD or Hasselblad? 

The more that I thought about this announcement and what I wanted the more that the line between mirrorless, cinema and ILC camcorders blurred in my brain.

If we're talking about the relationship between consumer and cinema cameras then why should the consumer ones not overlap on video features, and what is the best form factor anyway?

3 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Or wait for 8.5K in 2021

Or wait for 8k IBIS in 2022

Or wait for 8k 120p in 2023

Or wait for 8k 120p IBIS in 2024

At some point, you just need to buy a camera and be happy with it ?

At some point you need to understand what features you actually use and then when the camera that has those is released then that's what to buy. For some people that was 10 years ago and for others it's not yet. 

The problem is that some don't start with their requirements, and that's how you get lost in the confusion of camera tech.

9 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Since Sony is now facing some direct competition in the "basic" and "R" models from Nikon and Panasonic, they would be wise to go full-ham with their "S" outlier - ditch the mechanical shutter completely for a variable ND from FS5 and sprinkle some PDAF pixels on that global shutter silicone.

Is anything equivalent/better then the 1DX2 DPAF? If the A7SIII has uncropped 4k 60 I’m sold, anything else at this point is a bonus. Perfect for what I need.

• Super Members

Tasty stuff! :) 
If the IBIS is anything like Panasonics current it will be a handheld video beast.

And I kinda like that its a few months away so I get to evaluate my X-H1 and preordered EOS-R up until its released. 
If nothing else this will make buying a used SL more justified with a broader and lower priced line of lenses. 

This is shaping up to be a good year at Photokina. That new m4/3 zoom looks cool as well. Not to mention that the "King of the Street" aka The Ricoh GRii got a development announcement of the GRiii.  The later is an instant buy for me, wont even look at the final announcement, just preorder ;)