Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Tone1k said:

JB seemed to allude to the fact that it's not the same sensor as Gh5.....? 

I didn't read what he said, but it is supposed to be the one from the GH5s not the GH5?

9 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

But - The Samsung T5 is a lot cheaper than that and has the memory built in... Unless you're looking for a way to avoid using the USB port I guess... That said a could 128gb CFast cards are around the same price as that option. Or better yet 1 256gb card is actually cheaper than going down the route of Cfast - SSD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delkin-Cinema-CFast-Memory-Card/dp/B01H5C79AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1534396663&sr=1-1&keywords=cfast+256gb

Also, what if the camera needs the card door to be closed? It's a possibility.

You Only have to buy that adapter one time. So I think it would be a lot cheaper. Not counting how much more data you can have.

9 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

I have seen images from GH5s and Terra 4K so I know what to expect as far as dynamic range.  I don't think Blackmagic should have any problems with color science either, so in that regard I have realistic expectations as to what the footage will look like.  I think the Blackmagic camera will have obvious limitations but not much different than people who come from cameras without autofocus and IBIS like 5D Mark III, etc.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I know some of it is basic stuff for beginners, but there is some really good info in this about lens choices for the PK4.

https://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-best-lenses-for-the-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-4k/

it's literally a list of affiliate links, dude pumps out garbage clickbait

notice how he only lists lenses that are available on B&H and amazon

where is this supposed good info?

25 minutes ago, andrgl said:

To be fair, it is more than just a list of affiliate links and among the lenses he lists are some of the very finest available in the micro four thirds system, including  Voigtlander and Olympus Pro as well as an extensive look at adapted lenses. Most stuff nowadays is available at B&H and Amazon. You’re welcome to shop anywhere you like.

48 minutes ago, andrgl said:

Since I buy just about Everything I buy from either B&H or Amazon, with a few used things from Adorama, sure as hell seems helpful to me. Have no clue where you live but I guess it Ain't in New York. Sure saves me from looking up a lot of prices, and well I did learn a few things.

But I guess it must be nice to be so educated on all that is PK4 that nothing new can be gleaned from it. Gifted I guess you are, gifted. Thank you for your helpful advice. ?

48 minutes ago, andrgl said:

It looked useful to me.  Maybe it's not complete, but incomplete doesn't mean not useful.

The one thing I think he should have focused on more is the equivalence in DoF, which is important for those who are interested in the FF look.  Saying a lens is 17mm F2 (34mm equivalent)  is very different to saying it's 17mm F2 (34mm F4 equivalent)!

4 hours ago, kye said:

It looked useful to me.  Maybe it's not complete, but incomplete doesn't mean not useful.

The one thing I think he should have focused on more is the equivalence in DoF, which is important for those who are interested in the FF look.  Saying a lens is 17mm F2 (34mm equivalent)  is very different to saying it's 17mm F2 (34mm F4 equivalent)!

Not this again. 

@kye @jonpais @webrunner5

lol yeah this dude's site is totally not a moneygrab for emarketing spam.........

Andrew totally tries to get us to subscribe to his newsletter and sell us guides to filmmaking

I'm glad Mr Reid pumps out articles on his blog to recommend us lenses he's never used for cameras he's never used.

lmfao

183530147_Screenshot_2018-08-17-09-01-342.thumb.png.98b34d7da9d010117cb57865ac8ea2a9.png

@Andrew Reid

Can you add a blacklist for forum links? You should seriously consider blocking URLs for sites like wolfcrow and 43rumors, et al.

They don't add any value to discussion.

1 hour ago, andrgl said:

@kye @jonpais @webrunner5

lol yeah this dude's site is totally not a moneygrab for emarketing spam.........

Andrew totally tries to get us to subscribe to his newsletter and sell us guides to filmmaking

I'm glad Mr Reid pumps out articles on his blog to recommend us lenses he's never used for cameras he's never used.

lmfao

183530147_Screenshot_2018-08-17-09-01-342.thumb.png.98b34d7da9d010117cb57865ac8ea2a9.png

@Andrew Reid

Can you add a blacklist for forum links? You should seriously consider blocking URLs for sites like wolfcrow and 43rumors, et al.

They don't add any value to discussion.

laugh.gif

• Administrators
On 8/15/2018 at 7:40 PM, DBounce said:

It is big. I held it in my hands... And I have the 1DXMk2. Keep in mind that's a full frame pro camera... which is built like a tank and weather sealed. Also battery can last a day on the Canon. You will be happy with 40 minutes on the PK4. Also, no one ever said the Canon was a "pocket" camera. Pending real footage, I will buy the PK4, but I am expecting limitations and accepting them as part of the deal. If you do otherwise, you will be in for a disappointment.

It's not going to be a Pocket camera once it's rigged up with a battery. I do wish Blackmagic could work on their power economy issues.

However such great codecs and raw have a cost.

I'd rather have 40 minutes of battery and some spares, rather than no option at all for ProRes and raw on a new, exciting camera to compete with the establishment.

• Super Members

Is anyone interested in a small device to do in field backups of CFast cards to SSDs so you can have a couple of cheap 64gig cards (such as the Integral branded £46 ones) and cycle between them?

So you'd shoot on one, pop it into the device which will automatically back it up while you shoot on the other one and then repeat and then just pull the SSD out to start editing with when you get back to base.

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's not going to be a Pocket camera once it's rigged up with a battery. I do wish Blackmagic could work on their power economy issues.

However such great codecs and raw have a cost.

I'd rather have 40 minutes of battery and some spares, rather than no option at all for ProRes and raw on a new, exciting camera to compete with the establishment.

The battery life is more like 45 mins of heavy use (I am guessing that may be for 4k and/ or RAW). This pushes it to 4 hours. Wow.

Please delete this comment, if this link had already been shared:

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Is anyone interested in a small device to do in field backups of CFast cards to SSDs so you can have a couple of cheap 64gig cards (such as the Integral branded £46 ones) and cycle between them?

So you'd shoot on one, pop it into the device which will automatically back it up while you shoot on the other one and then repeat and then just pull the SSD out to start editing with when you get back to base.

Wow. Does it apply to SD Cards too? How fast does it take and how many times can the data be dumped (battery life)? 

24 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Would the 'device' have any way of checking the footage once transferred to the SSD?

If not, it's a no from me.