Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm surprised John Brawley still visits this forum given some of the comments on here.

That EM 1 mark II video is very impressive given the limited dynamic range of the camera.  If 10 stops can get you those kind of images, 13 is a huge step up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kaylee said:

what do you mean by that? are you talking about me?

nevermind/

 

let me put a point on this: @jonpais is a raging jerk. hes deleted my posts and threads. i think he needs some time off from the forum

@John Brawley, had a fit over the word "sissy", which infuriates me. in America that isnt "hate speech", you act like he said fa**ot.

/thats it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me put a point on this: Who gives a shit.

Can we please stick to talking about this camera, it's highs, lows, competition, accessories and application. If you feel the need to post about other users, or argue about who said what and under what context, I'm sure most people here would prefer you do so elsewhere.  Maybe you can contribute here: 

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With so much attention from Grant Petty being put on the audio options, and with 4 mics built into the camera, what are people expecting from it regarding wind noise?

My experience with most cameras of this kind of size and shape is wind is very disturbing and renders the (usually not very good anyway) internal mics totally useless for outdoor use, even as scratch audio. Looking at it, I'm starting to think that positioning the microphones next to the lens mount, instead of the usual places like the top left corner or in front of the hot shoe, might help shelter them from the wind. 

That on top of the fact that all exposure controls are on the touchscreen means there probably won't be much handling noise while operating the camera. Although maybe if you're adjusting focus, the mics are more likely to pick that up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaylee said:

, had a fit over the word "sissy", which infuriates me. in America that isnt "hate speech", you act like he said fa**ot.

Did I ?

FFS, as an afterthought on responding to a post with mostly techo camera geek stuff,  I also ASKED the poster if he might want to also reconsider his use of the word sissy.  Is that a fit in your books ?  

Methinks you complain a bit much. 

Also,  I was born in New York and am currently working in Atlanta.  I'm as American as you are bucko.

In the last 12 months on two different occasions, I've had two of my crew ( a woman in one case and a guy) get into deep doo doo with big studio HR departments for exactly this kind of language.  And when I say doo doo I mean fired.   In your own interests I simply point this out, if you want to crew on any half way professional show, no matter if you agree or not, you need to be respectful to all.  It's a condition of employment.

JB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

Did I ?

FFS, as an afterthought on responding to a post with mostly techo camera geek stuff,  I also ASKED the poster if he might want to also reconsider his use of the word sissy.  Is that a fit in your books ?  

Methinks you complain a bit much. 

Also,  I was born in New York and am currently working in Atlanta.  I'm as American as you are bucko.

In the last 12 months on two different occasions, I've had two of my crew ( a woman in one case and a guy) get into deep doo doo with big studio HR departments for exactly this kind of language.  And when I say doo doo I mean fired.   In your own interests I simply point this out, if you want to crew on any half way professional show, no matter if you agree or not, you need to be respectful to all.  It's a condition of employment.

JB

 

I detest your attitude, and I have absolutely no interest in anything youre talking about ? A "condition of employment"??? ??? Are you high?

Great, youre American? You should be absolutely ashamed.

Dont you have better things to do? Thats my SHOCK – you think this argument is important!!! like your opponent. and now youre fighting me?

I feel sorry for you pal ?

Why has the word "sissy" been used on The Simpsons so many times? You dont think thats a "respectful" writing room?

Dude...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

With so much attention from Grant Petty being put on the audio options, and with 4 mics built into the camera, what are people expecting from it regarding wind noise?

My experience with most cameras of this kind of size and shape is wind is very disturbing and renders the (usually not very good anyway) internal mics totally useless for outdoor use, even as scratch audio. Looking at it, I'm starting to think that positioning the microphones next to the lens mount, instead of the usual places like the top left corner or in front of the hot shoe, might help shelter them from the wind. 

That on top of the fact that all exposure controls are on the touchscreen means there probably won't be much handling noise while operating the camera. Although maybe if you're adjusting focus, the mics are more likely to pick that up?

In terms of these mics being usable for "real world" situations, I'd be more concerned about handling noise and directionality (isolation of what you're pointing the camera at) than wind noise.  Handling noise might be a reason for them being so large - if there was a suspension mechanism in there of some kind.  The capsules likely to be in there are quite small so I suspect something interesting is going on in there :)

The reason I'm less worried about wind noise is that I've seen YouTubers (the ultimate "real world" shooters!) put fluff over in-camera microphones with quite amazing results in some cases, so it might be something that can be retrofitted pretty simply.  Considering the location they might not get in the way much either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @kye - the post was mostly an attempt to get things back on track, thanks for picking it up.

That's my thoughts too, stick some fluff over them and have them as 'usable' mics for those times you need to film a kid's birthday in 4k60p RAW, and don't want to add anything to the body.

On the subject of audio, with two separate inputs, I was recently pondering an XLR box like this. It could be a fun way to add more mics that other cameras, even higher end ones, can't actually do. With this you'd techinically have 3 separate phantom power inputs.

image.png.7b84d0070cfdd76ee886c94820e8d452.png

I regularly film live musicians performing for a camera, I have one on legs with the main vocals and guitar going into that and then the secondary instrument, generally another guitar, going into a Tascam Dr40. With this setup, I could have all 3 sources going into one camera, and separate the stereo input from this box into two mono tracks.  

Alternatively, it'd be good for interview situations with two subjects. You can mic the interviewer and both subjects with no need to sync anything later. 

hmmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

for those times you need to film a kid's birthday in 4k60p RAW

LOL..  

I'm not sure if that was specifically aimed at me, but it's pretty funny, and if I end up with this camera then it's totally something I would do!!

10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

On the subject of audio, with two separate inputs, I was recently pondering an XLR box like this. It could be a fun way to add more mics that other cameras, even higher end ones, can't actually do. With this you'd techinically have 3 separate phantom power inputs.

I think I missed a specification or something..  does the camera have three inputs?

10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's my thoughts too, stick some fluff over them and have them as 'usable' mics

Apart from those crazy YouTubers, another use for these might be recording on camera audio for use with those automatic audio syncing functions that editing software seems to have these days.. If the audio in-camera was too omnidirectional or had too much wind or handling noise then it might not be able to sync but potentially a bit more quality might save some work in post.

I'm not sure how useful this is to film-makers who care enough about audio to record to a separate recorder, but maybe it's a thing?  
Time is definitely money, but it might also facilitate audio syncs to be fast enough for on-set review, potentially being part of the feedback loop to the creative teams.  I've read articles about productions that shot test footage, roughly graded it, and then turned that into a LUT so that the rough 'look' of the film could be seen on set (and applied to a large monitor) giving the crew a better idea of how well things were working artistically.

Maybe @IronFilm has seen sets like this where the audio is roughly mixed on set for review during the shoot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha me too about the kids birthday. What better place to test a camera then a place where nothing is planned or controlled haha!

by 3 inputs I mean the mini XLR in the camera and then 2 XLRs on the adapter-box. Those two would go into the cam via 3.5mm stereo jack sending input 1 on left and input 2 on right. You'd effectively have 3 mono tracks. Of course that's assuming you can record that input as stereo on a single track... looking here, maybe that's not possible.

Ideally, you can change 'CHANNEL 2 SOURCE' to be 3.5mm Stereo - Stereo. I guess we'll see at release.

image.png.5c79b265def30d4e184202139f770e51.png

I do that LUT workflow all the time with my LS300. I record to an Atomos recorder with an 'INDOOR' or 'OUTDOOR' interview LUT to give me a good idea of what the grade will look like, but only record the log file and grade it later. It really helps with exposure, and makes the focus tools on the Atomos work a lot better than trying to show peaking on the flat image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Haha me too about the kids birthday. What better place to test a camera then a place where nothing is planned or controlled haha!

That's every shoot for me!

38 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

by 3 inputs I mean the mini XLR in the camera and then 2 XLRs on the adapter-box. Those two would go into the cam via 3.5mm stereo jack sending input 1 on left and input 2 on right. You'd effectively have 3 mono tracks. Of course that's assuming you can record that input as stereo on a single track... looking here, maybe that's not possible.

Ideally, you can change 'CHANNEL 2 SOURCE' to be 3.5mm Stereo - Stereo. I guess we'll see at release.

ooh, that's interesting.  effectively multi-channel audio.

With those codecs I guess it's not going to really be a big deal in terms of writing more data to the card!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I really care about this argument, but right or wrong... Jon Pais, for dramatic effect, (or melodramatic effect... lol) was quoting Frank Glencairn’s use of the word “sissy” in his article. 

Obviously he was doing it because he wants to remind the world that the GH5 still exists and that AF and IBIS aren’t just for sissies... they’re for fanboys as well... lol.

Is it kind of annoying... yes, but at no point do I think he was using the term, sissy, in a derogatory way. And I don’t think Frank Glencairn meant it that way either when I read the article.

This world is getting so politically correct there will be no such thing as comedy in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mercer said:

Not that I really care about this argument, but right or wrong... Jon Pais, for dramatic effect, (or melodramatic effect... lol) was quoting Frank Glencairn’s use of the word “sissy” in his article. 

Obviously he was doing it because he wants to remind the world that the GH5 still exists and that AF and IBIS aren’t just for sissies... they’re for fanboys as well... lol.

Is it kind of annoying... yes, but at no point do I think he was using the term, sissy, in a derogatory way. And I don’t think Frank Glencairn meant it that way either when I read the article.

This world is getting so politically correct there will be no such thing as comedy in a few years.

Aside from the fact I wasn’t referring to the GH5 when I wrote my comment (think about it - Panasonic doesn’t even have DPAF!), the rest is pretty much correct.

edit It’s actually the a7 III that I’m going back and forth on, but I’ll probably wait until Sept. to make up my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Aside from the fact I wasn’t referring to the GH5 when I wrote my comment (think about it - Panasonic doesn’t even have DPAF!), the rest is pretty much correct.

Right, you weren’t specifically referring to the GH5 as much as you were referring to any modern camera with modern conveniences but you have been known to defend the GH5 to no end... which is cool, I do it with my 5D3 as well.

It doesn’t much matter anyway, this thread has nowhere to go until some footage is released and some cameras are released into the wild.

With that being said, I really do appreciate John Brawley’s contributions to this site. The discussion I had with him the other week regarding his experience on the production of The Resident was insight rarely received from a pro to an aspiring director. And he seemed more than happy to offer it.

So maybe it’s a little unnecessary to pick apart the minutiae of every sentence and every word he ever posted on this forum to “win” an argument?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...