Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

On 10/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, currensheldon said:

I don't know why each manufacturer (Canon and Sony, mostly, but also Panasonic (Varicam LT and EVA-1) doesn't have a professional 16-55mm f2.8 lens with IS to go with their Super35mm video camera - seems like it should have been released alongside any of the C-series or FS5/7 series. 

Sony has an excellent 16-55 2.8 for E-mount.

15 hours ago, Stanly said:

It will look exactly like 24-105 f/4 on full frame (or 24-70 f/2.8). Even though the speedbooster "doubles the light", it only compensates the light initially subtracted by the sensor crop.

It will look completely the same, but you WILL get a stop better lowlight performance. Sensor crop DOES NOT effect the light level hitting the sensor. 

On 10/13/2020 at 6:33 PM, ntblowz said:

C70 screengrab from FB group (Andrzej Fryda).  Canon colour is magic source.

121389223_3816755485018892_7309644805143922102_o.jpg

121553086_3816755525018888_4358381823774834049_o.jpg

121571485_3816755515018889_6135575873254624425_o.jpg

Don't think these really show how highlights behave, it's clearly a overcast day. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

But it has no IS and Sony IBIS is not great.

Anecdotal but I've read that the AF on the C70 is no better than that of the C200 which from my short test wasn't that great. Canon doesn't seem to be able to put the top AF from their stills cameras into their cinema cameras

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

But it has no IS and Sony IBIS is not great.

Anecdotal but I've read that the AF on the C70 is no better than that of the C200 which from my short test wasn't that great. Canon doesn't seem to be able to put the top AF from their stills cameras into their cinema cameras

I can attest, it's definitely not great in C200. In my experience it was no better than AF in Z6. Which is not bad, but there are better options for sure.

7 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

It will look completely the same, but you WILL get a stop better lowlight performance. Sensor crop DOES NOT effect the light level hitting the sensor. 

Don't think these really show how highlights behave, it's clearly a overcast day. 

It was the interiors that got me excited, but you are correct, it's hard to tell how hard the highlights are being pushed.  Part of that was just my brain going -'Sunlight!  Nice tones!'.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, Geoff CB said:

But it does 😄 No matter what camera do you use, 24-105 f/4 can transfer only a certain amount of light. Crop sensor collects light from a smaller area = less light collected compared to FF camera with the same lens. The speedbooster can only compensate that by focusing all of the light from the lens onto the smaller sensor area.

So 24-105 f/4 with a speed-booster will look just as it looks on full frame.

So I don't know if this has been posted yet in this thread but here are some files from the C70 to play with : 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5wrkdi1w5flb94w/AADlSb_ODzKnOO7f2gBTJ_9Ma?dl=0

I don't know for you but I hear people complain about the difficult Canon codecs and files to edit compared to say those of the Sony A7sIII but I have no problem editing in real time those files on my computer.
Speaking about IQ, it's quite good, the amount of noise in the shadows is minimal, it's a pleasure to grade those files.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, EphraimP said:

Trigger finger is itching. I keep telling myself to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday madness to see if a C70 deal materializes. Besides, the camera won't be shipping until then anyway.

So, here's the big question... Will the pre-order list be so big that these are hard to get for a period of time after release, or will Canon release enough so that there will be availability in early Dec?

I'd be very surprised if a camera this popular will get a big price discount on sale so early on. Wait until 2021, at least. 

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'd be very surprised if a camera this popular will get a big price discount on sale so early on. Wait until 2021, at least. 

It might not get a big discount yet, sure. I'm not expecting that. More like a bit off or a deal with accessories thrown in, something like that. 

I've been shooting at a pretty frantic pace lately, launching a new video production business, and I've been in plenty of situations where I've wished for some of the pro features on this thing. Still would prefer a full on C-body, but I can justify a $6K investment in a new camera right now, not a $12K one.

Still, I don't think there's anything on the market that can touch its feature set for the price. Sony better introduce their FX6 soon if they want to take a bite out of Canon's lunch.

2 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Some very encouraging grading demos here:

(if you find the guy super annoying, jump to the very worthwhile grading stuff at 5:30 😉)

Man, I just don't see it. I love the specs, but a lot of this footage just reminds me of cheap DSLR footage with a poor attempt at a "film look." 

The C300ii or older canon footage, (pre DGO sensor,) looks dynamic and beautiful with very accurate and balanced color.

I do believe that you can a get a more neutral / classic look with this camera, but curious why a lot of the videos have a similar look. Maybe trying to grade a C-LOG2 file from scratch? 

I've heard multiple people mention they love the IQ and the reviewer above is raving about it. The specs and size are great, and the images have a low noise floor, but do these images really knock people off their feet? All the praise over these images makes it sounds like we're all talking about the Komodo or something.

https://vimeo.com/472141764 / More C70

https://youtu.be/ohTfU1trOIo / Random C300 Mk2 video

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Man, I just don't see it. I love the specs, but a lot of this footage just reminds me of cheap DSLR footage with a poor attempt at a "film look." 

The C300ii or older canon footage, (pre DGO sensor,) looks dynamic and beautiful with very accurate and balanced color.

I do believe that you can a get a more neutral / classic look with this camera, but curious why a lot of the videos have a similar look. Maybe trying to grade a C-LOG2 file from scratch? 

I've heard multiple people mention they love the IQ and the reviewer above is raving about it. The specs and size are great, and the images have a low noise floor, but do these images really knock people off their feet? All the praise over these images makes it sounds like we're all talking about the Komodo or something.

https://vimeo.com/472141764 / More C70

https://youtu.be/ohTfU1trOIo / Random C300 Mk2 video

Well, you're not the only person saying it.  I'm still a bit torn.  I think it doesn't help much that most of the early films are by camera shops or YouTube types.  No disrespect to either, because they both play an important role, but neither group produces the most stunning images.

I notice the (really nice) C300ii footage you linked from is by also a rental house, but they seem to turn out quite superior visuals!  😅 I enjoyed some of their other clips too!