Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Canon colour is one of those things that's said to be good so often, its accepted as fact...  even though those saying it are not really scrutinising the colour in the same indepth analysis as they would use,  say for example Sony colour.  

Maybe true, but the baked in Profiles on the Canon just look better out of the box. I believe that is fact. The skin shows less flaws and appears smoother. I agree, opinions on color grading log files creates a different argument all together. I am really wanting to see more standard Rec 709 examples. 

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

The last few vids really don't look amazing, subjective I know, but the sailor one the grade made the guy look like a zombie.

So much for magic color science - the magic happens in post, or the unmagic.

Agreed. Personally, I think the subject looks better with a little more saturation in the skin and a bit more contrast.

I am more concerned with the texture. It is just looks so sharp to a fault. Again, there could be additional sharpening, processing, etc. Who knows. I would love to see camera with some vintage glass.

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 1.31.02 PM.png

Tester.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Firm rumour now of a C200 mkii incoming! 😲  This line-up is getting extremely hot.

I'm just wondering (if true) how are they going to differentiate the C300iii?  Presumably the C70 will be cheaper.  C200 (mk i) might become a steal soon (both new and used).

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-cinema-eos-c200-mark-ii-will-arrive-in-april-cr3/

37 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Firm rumour now of a C200 mkii incoming! 😲  This line-up is getting extremely hot.

I'm just wondering (if true) how are they going to differentiate the C300iii?  Presumably the C70 will be cheaper.  C200 (mk i) might become a steal soon (both new and used).

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-cinema-eos-c200-mark-ii-will-arrive-in-april-cr3/

Wow. Too many cameras. I wonder if it'll be RF mount.

I thought I read that it was going to be EF. But who knows. It's definitely making me think about holding off on the C70 to see what it's like, and I was almost certain to order the C70 this month. I'm not sold on the huge mirrorless form factor, so this latest rumor has got me thinking.

15 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

CR3 rumors are normally spot on so it seems same as c300 iii  dlo, 4k raw and 4k 10bit but no 4k 120....

question is RF or EF?

That would be great. I mean I love 120 but its more of a niche frame rate anyways. If its around the same as the C70 that would be a bargain. 

Never liked the original one - well documented in this forum and others!

C70 seems like the way forward, I just hope every new release will lower the C70 price tag, until I can reach it. Lately I do more specific TV jobs (assistant director and whatnot), I do not need more cameras, but for a thousand less, I would definitely get the C70 just to look at it late at night when I come back from the episodic TV madness!

58 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Never liked the original one - well documented in this forum and others!

C70 seems like the way forward, I just hope every new release will lower the C70 price tag, until I can reach it. Lately I do more specific TV jobs (assistant director and whatnot), I do not need more cameras, but for a thousand less, I would definitely get the C70 just to look at it late at night when I come back from the episodic TV madness!

Sound like you need to wait for the C50. 

As far as the C70 being the way forward, without a EVF, what about the dslr/mirrorless style body makes it better for you than a more traditional cine-style body? Holding the camera out in front of you with two hands, even with your elbows locked, is in my experience, a less stable shooting method than cradling the camera against your body to establish a third point of contact or shoulder mounting, both of which even a cine-style camera is more suited to.

Picked up my C70, Canon 24-105 F4 RF, and EF adapter. Did some quick tests with a 35mm F2 IS and one practical lamp in the living room. Color looks like normal Canon color to me. I'll hopefully have time to shoot more stuff tomorrow afternoon.

Initial thoughts... Camera feels pretty nice in the hands. The custom presets are really crippled. They took away BT.709 / C-LOG 2. Also, for some reason clog 2 clips at 85 IRE. 

There are a ton of options for removing all of the noise reduction and you can go all the way to -10 sharpening. I think lowering the in camera sharpness and pairing the camera with older lenses will help to get away from that plastic skin look.

Practical.thumb.jpg.a86cb876b58893d06965fb5f1c897fe4.jpg

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Picked up my C70, Canon 24-105 F4 RF, and EF adapter. Did some quick tests with a 35mm F2 IS and one practical lamp in the living room. Color looks like normal Canon color to me. I'll hopefully have time to shoot more stuff tomorrow afternoon.

Initial thoughts... Camera feels pretty nice in the hands. The custom presets are really crippled. They took away BT.709 / C-LOG 2. Also, for some reason clog 2 clips at 85 IRE. 

There are a ton of options for removing all of the noise reduction and you can go all the way to -10 sharpening. I think lowering the in camera sharpness and pairing the camera with older lenses will help to get away from that plastic skin look.

Practical.thumb.jpg.a86cb876b58893d06965fb5f1c897fe4.jpg

Some good ideas there.

This person has gotten quite organic footage by piling on the filters!

On 12/2/2020 at 11:17 PM, EphraimP said:

Sound like you need to wait for the C50. 

As far as the C70 being the way forward, without a EVF, what about the dslr/mirrorless style body makes it better for you than a more traditional cine-style body? Holding the camera out in front of you with two hands, even with your elbows locked, is in my experience, a less stable shooting method than cradling the camera against your body to establish a third point of contact or shoulder mounting, both of which even a cine-style camera is more suited to.

IF you need a traditional video camera then you may be looking at something else, for my perspective, C200 needed a lot more weird-tall building that was never very practical for me.

Then you have the tripod shots, most of the shots I am using anyway, but if I have to save time from NOT adding the couple of things I needed on the C200, I am going to take it 100 times out of the 100!

Also, I have a bigish monopod, that will fit the C70 quite nicely I believe.

A lot less camera bag and weight to carry around.

The "hybrid" body seems like a breakthrough, what I was expecting the Pocket4K/6K to be.

Let's face it, the new generation are used to the mirrorless desing, something in between is the golden ratio for me.

I can just use my original Ronin that I have for my mirrorless/dSLR (never used it, just bought it a year or so ago!) and do not need more expensive and bigger stabilizing systems.

I was very pleased with the results I was getting holding the camera with my 2 arms when/if used a good I.S lens, I do not like IBIS much. Maybe it is just me.

So for all these reasons, I would be very happy with this new Canon C camera.

I am not sure what the C50 will be, maybe too cripled for my tasting, maybe 8 bit? the older sensor wasn't that amazing either.

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

IF you need a traditional video camera then you may be looking at something else, for my perspective, C200 needed a lot more weird-tall building that was never very practical for me.

Interesting. What were you building the C200 out, er, up with that you don't think you'd need on the C70? A lot of people do rig up hybrid/dslr cameras pretty tall, which is counter intuitive for getting stable in my opinion. Wide is better than tall and long is better than either.

Just now, EphraimP said:

Interesting. What were you building the C200 out, er, up with that you don't think you'd need on the C70? A lot of people do rig up hybrid/dslr cameras pretty tall, which is counter intuitive for getting stable in my opinion. Wide is better than tall and long is better than either.

Well the C200 is already taller than the C70 before you add a monitor, SolidPod, etc.