Sony scraps 2020 mirrorless camera features to prioritise PS5 bill of materials cost

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

SDIM0138-scaled.jpg

According to a reputable report in the Japan Times, Sony has shelved mooted features for a new mirrorless camera (thought to be the A7S III) due to a lack of DRAM memory supply.

https://www.eoshd.com/news/sony-scraps-2020-mirrorless-camera-features-to-prioritise-ps5-bill-of-materials-cost/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow Sony is lame. Looks like Canon is back on top. That being said, I just bought an FS7. The second-hand prices are crazy right now! I'm years late to the party, but the form factor and codecs are right and my clients like them in spite of the color science. I hate the color science!

The coronavirus is such a nightmare. I thought it was only killing the infirm, but according to the BBC article it looks like a lot of middle-aged folks are dying, too. Maybe they would have survived in hospital? So sad...

well that's what you get for buying cameras from a gaming company 🤣

4 minutes ago, abehalpert said:

Wow Sony is lame. Looks like Canon is back on top. That being said, I just bought an FS7. The second-hand prices are crazy right now! I'm years late to the party, but the form factor and codecs are right and my clients like them in spite of the color science. I hate the color science!

welcome to the club, I bought mine second hand last year. strongly recommend shooting in cine EI and set up in camera LUT to Venice CS (you can find the LUTs in google search). WB remains the tricky part..

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, abehalpert said:

The coronavirus is such a nightmare. I thought it was only killing the infirm, but according to the BBC article it looks like a lot of middle-aged folks are dying, too. Maybe they would have survived in hospital? So sad...

Yes, the filmmaker and his family sadly were not found a bed in hospital. They could have been saved. I also find it extremely sad and suspicious that the two main doctors who blew the whistle early on are dead.. One of them in his 30's. The virus has a 2% mortality rate and tends to impact old people worse, so the chances of a fit and healthy 30 year old doctor dying from the virus alone are very slim. I think there are factors at play we don't know about.

I also find it hard to believe the virus came from a fish market, or from some sort of sneezing snake.

Far more likely to have originated from the Wuhan institute of virology.

"The laboratory took over a decade to complete from its conception in 2003, and scientists such as U.S. molecular biologist Richard H. Ebright expressed concern of previous escapes of the SARS virus at Chinese laboratories in Beijing, and the pace and scale of China's plans for expansion into BSL–4 laboratories."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Institute_of_Virology

Why were the Chinese government so keen to cover it up in the first month of infection?

It could even be possible for research lab animals to be sold on the black market and end up at the wild animals market in Wuhan.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

I also find it extremely sad and suspicious that the two main doctors who blew the whistle early on are dead.. One of them in his 30's. The virus has a 2% mortality rate and tends to impact old people worse, so the chances of a fit and healthy 30 year old doctor dying from the virus alone are very slim. I think there are factors at play we don't know about.

Wow that's a really good point. The Chinese government is extremely powerful and could have seen to their deaths one way or another. Disobedience of any kind can't be tolerated. Gotta kill the messenger...

If this report is correct and it turns out to be the case, then it seems in terms of current/near future camera companies, that:

Canon and Fuji are going up.

Sony going down slightly.

Panny (need to sort out their AF issues) and Nikon (their DSLR’s) on a fairly even keel.

Olympus dropping another ball.

Leica and Hassie live in their own special fluffy bubbles.

Re. ‘hybrid’ cameras rather than pure video tools about which I know nothing.

That’s how it looks to me anyway.

• Administrators

Especially if the messenger is seen as being a risk, in terms of uncovering the truth and a trail that leads back to the government research lab.

Why bump someone off if they just happen to have done their job as a doctor and alerted people to the virus?

Very shady in my opinion.

So, you guys think that Canon's R5 & R6 announcement has nothing to do with this?
I mean, is it possible that sony was caught off guard and the plans for the a7sIII no longer make sense so they have to go back to the drawing board...
These new Canon cameras will surly impact Sony's mirrorless market share.

• Administrators

There's still time for R5 and R6 to be impacted.

“Wuhan is a key transport hub in China, so we are concerned about possible impacts to our supply chain,” said Toshizo Tanaka, executive vice president of camera and office equipment-maker Canon Inc.

1 hour ago, Snowfun said:

As opposed to a photocopier company?!

Well FWIW: Canon started out as an optical company.. they had their first 35mm camera in the 30’s... VS sony, a consumer electronics company that made their first full frame camera... in 2008!

History aside, Canon still makes all their full frame cameras in Japan, including sensors. This should in theory keep them safer from production delays than the competition (1DX3 for example is only missing the made in China card reader).

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes, the filmmaker and his family sadly were not found a bed in hospital. They could have been saved. I also find it extremely sad and suspicious that the two main doctors who blew the whistle early on are dead.. One of them in his 30's. The virus has a 2% mortality rate and tends to impact old people worse, so the chances of a fit and healthy 30 year old doctor dying from the virus alone are very slim. I think there are factors at play we don't know about.

I also find it hard to believe the virus came from a fish market, or from some sort of sneezing snake.

Far more likely to have originated from the Wuhan institute of virology.

"The laboratory took over a decade to complete from its conception in 2003, and scientists such as U.S. molecular biologist Richard H. Ebright expressed concern of previous escapes of the SARS virus at Chinese laboratories in Beijing, and the pace and scale of China's plans for expansion into BSL–4 laboratories."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Institute_of_Virology

Why were the Chinese government so keen to cover it up in the first month of infection?

It could even be possible for research lab animals to be sold on the black market and end up at the wild animals market in Wuhan.

I understand your suspicious but the reality is that wild animals have transmitted viruses to human race from the beginning of the times, I hear the same suspicious about AIDS when it was known by the public in the 80's, a decease created in a lab released against gay community, etc. Now has been confirmed after some years of research that AIDS was transmitted from monkeys in Africa to humans around 1910-20, since the virus has been found in old samples from early 40's in Africa from people killed by an unknown decease. The most probably cause of the Corona virus creation is a mutation of the original virus from a wild animal like always, and this is going to continue happening in places where humans are in close contact with wild animals, like China and Africa.

I hope China will finally learn from this bad experience and most probably will ban in the future markets for wild animal close to big cities.