Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

Canon is not talking abut the recording time limits that are going to be imposed. I have a Canon insider that tells me that time limit cripples ARE in this equation.

I think most people are expecting this. Especially in 8K modes. RAW mode will naturally be limited by the insane bitrates!

In practice it probably won’t affect most people. If you need longer recording times in 4K you would be better off with MFT or a cinema class camera anyway.

Sub 15 minute record limit in 8K. Fine with me. Maybe not for you.

30 mins for 4K. Still fine with me. Maybe not for you.

The Devil is always in the details with Canon.

2 hours ago, Django said:

Of course it is real IBIS:

For the first time on any Canon camera, 5 axis In Body sensor movement Image Stabilisation is offered which works in harmony with Canon RF lenses to combine Optical and In-Body Image Stabilisation to provide the ultimate in shake free super-sharp images and movies.

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r5/

Oh my god they made everything right this time. i'm just waiting for the dynamic range improvement over my Canon EOS R (not difficult) and if it comes close to my S1h, I might pull the trigger 😉

So if Canon has stated the R5 is aimed at 5D level, then it stands to reason the R6 will be 6D level as others have noted.  So I’m wondering if we can realistically expect 10-bit in that camera given how limited the 6D series has been historically.  Then again everything is upside down in Canon world now.  I’d rather have the 4k 10-bit and 5.5k raw of the 1DX MK III without the DSLR form factor.

1 minute ago, Patrick B. said:

So if Canon has stated the R5 is aimed at 5D level, then it stands to reason the R6 will be 6D level as others have noted.  So I’m wondering if we can realistically expect 10-bit in that camera given how limited the 6D series has been historically.  Then again everything is upside down in Canon world now.  I’d rather have the 4k 10-bit and 5.5k raw of the 1DX MK III without the DSLR form factor.

If they're positioning the R6 as a a7III competitor, then it seems like a Raw/10-bit, 4k60p or even 120p camera is the minimum since Fuji and Panasonic have been in 60p territory for awhile now, and that would easily top anything Sony has. 

Based on the R5, my expectations for the R6 have been raised. And we still don't have the full R5 spec - just lots of headline grabbing specs. Don't see why 4k raw in some form can't happen, even if its a cropped mode that consumes less processing power compared whatever downscaling will happen to FF 4k. Also what about HFR or raw in 1080p? Will we see 240+ fps? Lots more to fuel the hype machine.

Cheers

Chris

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

Oh my god they made everything right this time. i'm just waiting for the dynamic range improvement over my Canon EOS R (not difficult) and if it comes close to my S1h, I might pull the trigger 😉

Yeah I have some worries though. As the dynamic range of the 1DX III doesnt seem to be that great. (and when I compare to Zcam, their 6K has more Dynamic range then their 8K cameras). But fingers crossed. 

"If they're positioning the R6 as a a7III competitor, then it seems like a Raw/10-bit, 4k60p or even 120p camera is the minimum since Fuji and Panasonic have been in 60p territory for awhile now, and that would easily top anything Sony has. "

Which full frame camera from these aforementioned brands offer the above specs?

47 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I have some worries though. As the dynamic range of the 1DX III doesnt seem to be that great. (and when I compare to Zcam, their 6K has more Dynamic range then their 8K cameras). But fingers crossed. 

Where did you see a real dr test of 1dx iii ? 

As the sensor dr is quite good: https://www.canonnews.com/1dx-mark-iii-dynamic-range-tested-class-leading and so should be the 12 bit raw video.

Random youtube tests are worthless imo.

7 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Where did you see a real dr test of 1dx iii ? 

As the sensor dr is quite good: https://www.canonnews.com/1dx-mark-iii-dynamic-range-tested-class-leading and so should be the 12 bit raw video.

Random youtube tests are worthless imo.

yeah, I’ve only seen one quick and dirty test on YouTube for recovering highlights so it would be great to see some deeper dives.  I hate to believe the IDX is that much lower.

8 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

yeah, I’ve only seen one quick and dirty test on YouTube for recovering highlights so it would be great to see some deeper dives.  I hate to believe the IDX is that much lower.

Also would be good that is done with RAW at iso 100, RAW with D+ at iso 200 and RAW with DLog at iso 400 to see witch settings is giving better result and then compare to 10big Log too

11 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

I honestly don't have a lot of faith in Canon for having a great dynamic range. They were always behind in sensor tech in their stills camera, even though their Cinema EOS line are quite good at it. 

14 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

I honestly don't have a lot of faith in Canon for having a great dynamic range. They were always behind in sensor tech in their stills camera, even though their Cinema EOS line are quite good at it. 

The sensor is basically on par with the A7R4: https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Sony ILCE-7RM4
This does not mean that in RAW video it will have the same DR.... but for photo the sensor definitely has a really good DR

The future for Canon video DR is not going to be the sensors DR but the use of combining like in the C300 iii.     Still, nice to see Canon catching up for stills at least at and near base ISO (the average canon sensor has been competitive around 200/400 ISO and up with the average Sony/Nikon camera I think).   Mind you, the R and RP are a bit low compared to Sony and Nikon.

I have never understood why Canons FF cameras started at a lower point especially when in the APSC 6mp days all (except Fuji) were around 10 to 11 stops of DR.

Let’s make bet on pricing.

I say: $2999 if they want to kill the market in one shot an be very agressive (unlikely)
$3499 if they still want to be reasonable for the specs and be agressive
$3999 easy cash for the specs
$4499, max acceptable price I think, pushing the limit (unlikely)

All things considered I am betting on 3499-3999.

$4K+ maybe... I’m still not convinced there’s any value in an 8K sensor. For most practical purposes it’s useless and doesn’t bode well for low light performance or the 4K sampling - unless Canon has a new magic sauce that they’re not using in their cinema cameras which they’re willing to use on a mirrorless camera. 

It’s possible of course, but, more likely, this specs-first approach feels like crowd-pleasing, hoisted over and above what really matters: offering a pleasing image (with no binning/skipping) in files we can actually use. The 4K Canon image is great from the R, as it is from its S35 big brothers, C200, C300 etc. At least with the R you get a 1:1 readout that fits the Sigma 18-35 (which I still use over the excellent full frame RF glass, along with, I might add, the drop in ND filter - which you have to swap out for the RF lenses). The pursuit of the perfect full frame image goes right to the top of the C series line - Canon aren’t going to offer a toll-free shortcut. And remember, the R5 won’t be broadcast approved without monitoring and xlr audio etc so we must dampen those Netflix dreamers - really, they’ve started. This is not a cinema camera replacement. It’s a companion, maybe.

Let’s not kid ourselves. The R5 is a specs package, not the perfect camera. It’s purpose is to destroy Canon’s competition by sucking consumers in to the brand. It’s aimed at total fantasists with more credit cards than sense, at misinformed wannabes, and the slack-jawed fanboys who consume the junk food dished out by tech YouTubers. We forced this change of tack on Canon with our whinging and now they’re ready to grab our money. Do you really want to spend an extra grand or two for 8K?

Unless you’re a spec glory hunter, or require 8K raw for some very case-specific VFX production work, you’re just better off waiting to compare the image of the R5 with the R6, which could have a more practical pixel count and, we can hope, an excellent 4K Raw image - with the same IBIS, and client-pleasing specs; great for a range of commercial video work and indie filmmaking. Really, what more do most of us need? 

Friends be careful not to blow your load on something you won’t use just because Canon entered the specs race. It’s good news, and nice to know Canon are at least listening, but it’s still a waiting game, hopefully only until the R6 is on sale. So hold on to your money - at the very least you’ll need it for those RF lenses.