Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Recommended Posts

@Geoff_L totally get it, I to see the glass as half full :)

Would you mind clarifying how the slowmotion works? Google only serves me people who guess or start their sentence with "to my understanding"..

What is the highest frame rate in HD, without crop, where you can still manually expose your image?

This is something that actually could tip the scale for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

@Geoff_L totally get it, I to see the glass as half full :)

Would you mind clarifying how the slowmotion works? Google only serves me people who guess or start their sentence with "to my understanding"..

What is the highest frame rate in HD, without crop, where you can still manually expose your image?

This is something that actually could tip the scale for me.

I quickly tested (before putting it back in the box and waiting for my dealer's position on what to do with the camera ahah), but I hope others will offer more detailed answers.
So, up to 4k 60fps, you can manual control. But, to go higher in fps, you have to switch into "high speed recording", and from there manual control is no more possible, even for the lowest (48fps)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

I quickly tested (before putting it back in the box and waiting for my dealer's position on what to do with the camera ahah), but I hope others will offer more detailed answers.
So, up to 4k 60fps, you can manual control. But, to go higher in fps, you have to switch into "high speed recording", and from there manual control is no more possible, even for the lowest (48fps)...

Thanks, And I'm assuming that goes for HD as well since it's the only thing available higher than 60p?

Bummer. The slowmo is what could have justified it for me. It's the only thing I wished my stills camera had. Found a S1 with a free lens at a good price but I guess it's not meant to be :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, heart0less said:

Nah, it's manufactured by Sony and featured in a7 III and Nikon Z6, as well.

@Mokara the S1 sensor is Sony but the S1R is Panasonic/TowerJazz.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Arthur Beispiel said:

Are there already experiences if there is a relevant difference between the new 150mbps codec of the Panasonic S1 to the reliable and extensive tested 400mbps codec of the Panasonic GH5s? This for me seems the only deal-braker and downside of the Panasonic S1. Plus the missing time-code-engine and anamorphic shooting modes.

Panasonic’s 150Mbps codec is very well done. It has been discussed before at length in the GH5 thread but the difference between 150Mbps and the 400Mbps All-I are incredibly subtle in almost all cases. I wouldn’t worry about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Filmed on S1 with v-log at 4k 60p on Ninja v.
Graded with filmconvert fuji stock.

I'm still trying out grades, I may end up using another grade because Im not sure about the green colors of the grass. what do you think?

 

 

if you want a "normal" balance then sure you have to find something else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

@Mokara the S1 sensor is Sony but the S1R is Panasonic/TowerJazz.

Possible, since the S1R seems to have atleast 1/2 a stop lower dynamic range than the A7Riii and the Z7. Though TowerJazz is curiously guarded about its ILC sensor lineup, so one cannot be absolutely certain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Filmed on S1 with v-log at 4k 60p on Ninja v.
Graded with filmconvert fuji stock.

I'm still trying out grades, I may end up using another grade because Im not sure about the green colors of the grass. what do you think?

 

 

It looks good. Are you missing those Canon colors from the 5D3? Panasonic greens can be a pain in the ass. But I think you did a good job. Great detail. The music, shots and color grade gave the piece a melancholy, nostalgic feel. Your model is very pretty as well.

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

if you want a "normal" balance then sure you have to find something else

What does this mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume that the mustard yellows in the greens throws off the overall balance of the look. Skin tones are great but many of the Film

Convert emulsions end up doing this ... do not remember that from any of the film I used. Do not think it is the Panasonic but more

the Film Convert look. But it beats teal and orange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Filmed on S1 with v-log at 4k 60p on Ninja v.
Graded with filmconvert fuji stock.

I'm still trying out grades, I may end up using another grade because Im not sure about the green colors of the grass. what do you think?

mmm!!!....try filmconvert with Kodak, I also would like another grade for the grass, the footage is beautifull and I would use a more vivid green, but you know, personal taste....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Hey all !

I'm super happy, because Panasonic gave me a special gift with my 1day old S1 ! I don't know how, but it seems they had access to my camera gear history and found I was a Nikon D600 user. Thus, they thought I would be happy to dive again in a dusty adventure with a camera.

Whoa, look at that ! They couldn't make me happier ! Plus, they may have reinforced static electricity, because 5 or 6 rocket blower sessions + 50 automatic sensor cleanings did nothing. Great, I do mostly landscape photography, so that will be easy to handle 😄

...

 

 

20072019-20072019_sans titre_1-2.JPG

20072019-20072019_sans titre_1-3.JPG

Did you dump the Z6?  How do you like the S1 compared to the Z6?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 10:36 AM, Justforfun said:

Waiting for my VLOG key to be ordered from the store!

I just started playing around with it, and the touch to focus in S-AF is much better for most situations anyway. For normal tracking to / from the camera, as long as your subject is moving normally then the C-AF is fine. These tests on youtube where they run around zig zagging, in and out of the frame, to try and prove a certain brand's superior AF is not practical in real use. I'd much rather take a great IBIS and "bad" AF, over a great AF but unsuable IBIS for my run&gun situation. And yes I do own a Ronin S and no IBIS can replace a gimbal, but mixing street photography and videography is hard to do with a ronin S in your backpack.

This makes no sense at all. You want great IBIS but can live with bad AF to do run n gun video.  And only if your subject is moving slow and to / from camera. Really? 

Some one said it was AF compromise......?? What? AF just needs to work well. Sony, Nikon and Canon have very good AF and maybe the S1 does with the new firmware.  Until then it's not good to make excuses for the S1. 

Hopefully it's not GH5 level bad were people make excuses for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Skip77 said:

This makes no sense at all. You want great IBIS but can live with bad AF to do run n gun video.  

I prefer to focus manually but can't make a lens magically stabilise itself. Make sense?

When handheld I like to use the EVF - how do you tell the camera which part you want to focus on when using AF? I don't trust it to read my mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mercer said:

It looks good. Are you missing those Canon colors from the 5D3? Panasonic greens can be a pain in the ass. But I think you did a good job. Great detail. The music, shots and color grade gave the piece a melancholy, nostalgic feel. Your model is very pretty as well.

It is the Film Convert giving the greens that yellowy look, had the same issue when using FC with Canon C100 particularly some of the Fuji presets, Kodak ones seemed a bit more balanced but they all messed with colours too much for my liking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...