Sharp's new 8K M43 camera

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’d rather see a 24MP 4k with a better dynamic range, less noise and custom sensor reading so one could zoom in on a sensor.

I know the latter already exists, but needs some improvement. Having a 35mm lens (FF eq.) which can actually be a 35-70mm zoom in single prime lens maks things much simpler.

Sharp is owned by FOXCONN.

Not surprisingly Foxconn allready have a working relationship with RED.

Foxconn has long been interested in 8K development for a consumer camera.

The only reason Panasonic has no interest in M43 is that only FF makes it possible to maximize profilt.

In reality the actuall production cost between a GH2 and a GH5 these days is not reflected in the retail price at all.

Profit on GHx series have increased as the system have gained prominence. Alas there is more profit to be made with FF stuff.

It's promising that FOXCONN is involved.  The company is huge, and with their resources, the 8k Sharp camera could be really good.  Also, big companies like foxconn are always looking for the next big thing.  Smart phones are becoming a commodity.  Cameras are going high end.  The low end to mid-range cameras are being forced out of the market by phones.  The highend market $2k+ camera/video is where the action is.  Basically catering to wealthy individuals.  I feel cameras are going to be the next big status symbols.  Samsung pulling out of the camera field to focus on smart phones was a big mistake.  I bet you they are regretting it.

It's actually a culture shift.  A lot of people are now into video it seems - kids, adults, moms, etc.  You don't hear gear heads talking about the size of a muscle car's engine.. or their gaming rig or smart phones (as much).  It seems to me, it's all about videos now.  I'm sure the rise of youtube had something to do with it.  Well-to-do people lust for new camera gear than anything else IMHO.  Or at least, it's in their top 10 of things to lust for. :-)  I welcome the time when I can zoom in like blade runner.

Deckard: "Enhance 224 to 176. Enhance, stop. Move in, stop. Pull out, track right, stop. Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop. Enhance 34 to 36. Pan right and pull back. Stop. Enhance 34 to 46. Pull back. Wait a minute, go right, stop. Enhance 57 to 19. Track 45 left. Stop. Enhance 15 to 23. Give me a hard copy right there."

3 minutes ago, deezid said:

So basically 36MP on a 4/3 sensor.
No thanks. My phone is already noisy enough, dynamic range suffers a lot as well.

10MP on 4/3 is perfect (P4K, Terra 4K, GH5s, E2). 

It's the same sensor as P4K, Terra 4K, GH5s, E2 but with Quad Bayer unlocked to output 8K.

Because the pixel size is 4 times smaller, Sony's dual Correlated Double Sampling actually achieves much better SNR due to reduced Full Well Capacity.

So the resulting 8K image has similar noise performance with all the above cameras.

9083f7cbgy1fz0l1zh32tj20ke0c774s.jpg.e956969da7c084dd338d102c8586db5b.jpg

13 hours ago, liork said:

Panasonic manager says “8K on Micro 4/3 is complicated, if not impossible.”

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-manager-says-8k-on-micro-4-3-is-complicated-if-not-impossible/

It's clearly not physically impossible, but 8K resolution and m43 does mean that diffraction would start eating into the image detail much more quickly. Though at what point it would become a serious issue, I'm not really sure.

13 hours ago, liork said:

Panasonic manager says “8K on Micro 4/3 is complicated, if not impossible.”

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-manager-says-8k-on-micro-4-3-is-complicated-if-not-impossible/

Why? Cell phones have higher pixel densities than sensors used in micro 4/3 cameras. The only thing that would affect practicality is the power of the processor being used. If the most advanced processors currently available have a hard time doing 4K60p, then they probably can't do 8K30p. That is most likely what the Panasonic manager was saying, but it got lost in translation and comprehension.

Do Sharp have a processor capable of encoding a 8K30p stream in H.264 or H.265? Likely not, so if they do make such a camera it would probably use some relatively uncompressed encoding scheme. The picture of their camera shows a small body, it is dubious that thing will be capable of dealing with the heat from a high efficiency codec at 8K.