Photokina 2018 Part 1: Panasonic S1 and S1R full frame 4K/60p and Fujifilm GFX 100MP 4K Medium Format. WOW!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

lumix-s1r.jpeg

This will be a short part 1, as I am about to get on my way from Berlin to Cologne to see all the new stuff at Photokina for myself! It's been a mammoth few weeks for camera announcements and these two top them all.

First from Panasonic we have the first ever full frame cameras to shoot 4K/60p, beating Sony to the punch. Their A7S III is STILL not yet announced. The Panasonic S1 and S1R are probably why! For video they beat every full frame camera past, present and future!

Second we have the Fujifilm GFX 100MP development announcement, which will be a 2019 $10,000 medium format mirrorless camera. They also have a cheaper 50R "rangefinder" style GFX body at the show ($4500) but that is 1080p only like the GFX 50S it's based on. It is the 100 megapixel one I am really interested in.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew...See if you can find out why they have gone to a triaxial moveable screen and not a full articulating screen. This seems really bizarre. Seems others like Fuji who had the fully articulating screen went to some flippy thing too. WHY? Is it acting as some form of heat sync or something? I really like the fully articulating screens but can't understand why all new cameras don't come with this feature, especially when older models had this feature. Very frustrating.

4 minutes ago, ajay said:

Andrew...See if you can find out why they have gone to a triaxial moveable screen and not a full articulating screen. This seems really bizarre. Seems others like Fuji who had the fully articulating screen went to some flippy thing too. WHY? Is it acting as some form of heat sync or something? I really like the fully articulating screens but can't understand why all new cameras don't come with this feature, especially when older models had this feature. Very frustrating.

It's exactly the number one reason I'm skipping a7s2, a73, x-t3, bmpcc4k and now the Panasonic S1r. It's just dumbfounding to me.

Arent you confusing sensor sizes here when you say ' It appears to have the amazing Sony 100MP CMOS sensor we last saw in the Hasselblad H6D 100C'? The Fuji GFX series has 44 x 33mm sensor size which is sort of 'mini medium format' with about half a stop and 20% extra resolution than FF while the Hasselblad H6D uses a 54 x 40mm sensor which is well over a stop larger than FF.

4 minutes ago, ajay said:

Depends on taste - from a hybrid (not video focused) point of view this approach (for me) is much more appealing. Tilt screens are better for stills - less fiddling, faster to deploy, better for waist shots. For video, is ok too (not so much for some rigs or gimbal).  And if you need a front LCD view for vlogging, you are covered too.

8 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Depends on taste - from a hybrid (not video focused) point of view this approach (for me) is much more appealing. Tilt screens are better for stills - less fiddling, faster to deploy, better for waist shots. For video, is ok too (not so much for some rigs or gimbal).  And if you need a front LCD view for vlogging, you are covered too.

No you're not. You can't see yourself with that hinge design.

1 minute ago, sam rides a mtb said:

Actually looks like it may swing and tilt (jusr not sure it swings into selfie mode) https://www.slashcam.de/images/news/PanasonicS1R_display-14634_PIC3.jpg

Then they gone for a XT-2/3 hinge style. In this case @Adam Kuźniar is right, and is a very bad LCD hinge for video indeed.

GFX 100s has 10 bit 4K at 24 and 30fps.  No word on slo-mo or 60fps in 1080.  The Panasonic cameras look great and with Leica also announcing a 4k medium format camera with 4K 30fps in L Mount puts Panasonic/Leica and Fuji in the driver seat for the next format war. 2019 is going to be the friendly matches between these 2 (3?) to prove the bodies are good enough and 2020 will be when the real matches begin with all of that great glass coming out. 

2 hours ago, ajay said:

As for the why, go to any photography forum and you can find that 80% of the old men (it's almost always old men) hate the swivel screen.

You know what.... at this point, even if Sony put out an a7S3... its like... oh ok... another contender that has caught up to the benchmark that Panasonic is setting.

In fact, I would even say that Fuji is really setting the bar here... just when Panasonic goes FF.... oh yeah? MF is really the direction the industry is going ?

57 minutes ago, leeys said:

As for the why, go to any photography forum and you can find that 80% of the old men (it's almost always old men) hate the swivel screen.

Nope. For Photography a swivel screen isn’t aus useful as a tilt. A Tilt acts as a  tunnel viewfinder and that is freakingly useful. 

Video is differently. But as I’m not blogging I’m happy with the S1!

B