This GH5 test - wow. Why bother with Pocket 4K?!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

That is the Kowa 8Z anamorphic in action according to the guy who shot it. On a very old 50's Nikon lens.

I think people notice things like that more than the codec.

But what it also says, is how well 8bit stands up and that camera in low-light. Didn't expect such a creamy look to the shadows.

Yes, all new cameras are a bit overhyped... but I can't wait to put my Iscorama on an X-T3 and shoot 4K 60p.

• Administrators

DSC_0446.jpg

I can feel my passion coming back for the GH5.

I wonder if he used the SLR Magic Rangefinder on his Kowa 8-Z.

This is my setup with the Kowa anamorphic. Really nice to focus. Will have to try and get hold of that Nikkor he used though, it clearly adds something dreamy and extra.

25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

DSC_0446.jpg

I can feel my passion coming back for the GH5.

I wonder if he used the SLR Magic Rangefinder on his Kowa 8-Z.

This is my setup with the Kowa anamorphic. Really nice to focus. Will have to try and get hold of that Nikkor he used though, it clearly adds something dreamy and extra.

It’s a fantastic camera. Brings a lot to the game for a reasonable price. 

21 minutes ago, ajay said:

My only complaint with the GH5/GH5S has to do with highlight roll-off. With that stated, if you can keep your highlights controlled by not over exposing or blur the hell out of them if in a background, the GH5/GH5S is certainly a winner.

GH5S rolls off a bit nicer, but really diffusion filters are the fix for roll off. Hollywood Black Magic and Glimmer Glass are magic on an overly exacting camera.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes!!! Please, report on your current setup and the Nikkor. I'm very interested by real life feedback and video samples. The GH5 is such a great camera. I'm very exited about the incoming Panasonic FF but I hope that Pana will keep the GH line alive.

I am moving back to the GH ... GH5s arriving this week ... to supplement my Leica SL which is challenged in low light.

No one else gives us 10 bit 4:2:2 internal dual UHS2 card slots HDMI A connector in a small portable form.

This short sums up my thoughts of its adaptability and function for small projects :

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

That is the Kowa 8Z anamorphic in action according to the guy who shot it. On a very old 50's Nikon lens.

But what it also says, is how well 8bit stands up and that camera in low-light. Didn't expect such a creamy look to the shadows.

Yes, all new cameras are a bit overhyped... but I can't wait to put my Iscorama on an X-T3 and shoot 4K 60p.

Jordan Drake in the GH5s introduction mentioned that in reality 8 bit may be preferable to 10 bit as there is much less noise 

in the shadows ... if exposed correctly. This mirrors his experience.

Even the GH1 can look cinematic with (lomo) anamorphic lenses.  Be sure to switch the resolution to HD in the Youtube settings before playing.

The guy who shot this (Ryan Glover) has other anamorphic tests with various camera's as well: BMCC, GH4 etc. on his youtube channel.

I think that after the Pocket 4K gets the BRAW update and sensor output is "processed" like the BRAW updated does for the USRA Mini Pro the choice will be clearer.  Though for hand held shooting having the sensor image stabilization is of course unmatched by the Pocket 4k.   I'm pretty sure the Pocket 4k is better in low light than the GH5, but for normal lighting conditions, is the Pocket 4k a necessity of over the GH5?  I would say not at this point (pre-BRAW) unless shooting in low light is your thing.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why bother with the Fuji? Just use the GH5....or was this a dig specifically at the Pocket4K? ?

2 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Why bother with the Fuji? Just use the GH5....or was this a dig specifically at the Pocket4K? ?

I have both and I can tell you unequivocally that the Fuji is a far better stills camera. On the video side the X-T3 is an equal to the GH5S and is well within its limits at 6800 ISO. It's a great camera. Using both cameras outdoors, the Fuji was easier to see.  The EVF is also better. The GH5S has much better battery life and is clearly aimed more at video than the more broadly focused X-T3. Considerations such as XLRs with adapter and time code input are nice touches. 

I really miss my GH5. I loved the size of the camera. Felt so good in the hands and the IBIS was quite good. 

That said I am switching to Fuji. XT3 is going to be mine soon. The camera will be rigged up on a gimbal, monopod or shouldercam for serious work anyways. 

I'd love to get into anamorphic shooting but its just to pricey atm. 

29 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I have both and I can tell you unequivocally that the Fuji is a far better stills camera. On the video side the X-T3 is an equal to the GH5S and is well within its limits at 6800 ISO. It's a great camera. Using both cameras outdoors, the Fuji was easier to see.  The EVF is also better. The GH5S has much better battery life and is clearly aimed more at video than the more broadly focused X-T3. Considerations such as XLRs with adapter and time code input are nice touches. 

I know the Fuji's are better stills cameras. I went from a GH4 to X-T1 then X-T2 as my personal stills / hybrid cameras. I was having a dig at the OP......."A GH5 is all you need....Can't wait for my Fuji" ?