Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

46 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

What is that? Maybe I missed the point, but all of the liveview stuff you actually see on the phone is from Panasonic cameras. The P4K only has Bluetooth, no wifi, so wireless liveview is impossible without some kind of HDMI transmitter.

I kind of guess that was the point of the video, but by him showing only Panasonic's app and LCD screen - and not mentioning Panasonic - makes it feel like he's suggesting he's created a BMD app to allow liveview... which he can't do for the P4K.

It was more me being sad that such an app doesn't exist. Instead of just moping around I put together a video of how I use the Panasonic App. Maybe someone in the loop will see that and decide it's a feature worthy of being in future cameras. 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Mckinise said:

It was more me being sad that such an app doesn't exist. Instead of just moping around I put together a video of how I use the Panasonic App. Maybe someone in the loop will see that and decide it's a feature worthy of being in future cameras. 

Other than that how do you like the camera??

58 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Other than that how do you like the camera??

I like the user interface and how easy it is to find and select the settings you want to use. I really like the image and the motion from the camera. There seems to be less ghosting in 24 fps than I was getting with my GH5.  For me, it is easier to get the image I want in camera as long as I am not in the scene. 

I was getting about 40 minutes per battery. 5 batteries got me through a Quinceanera gig, but I was sweating toward the end.  One battery left with about 70%. 

Storage was a challenge. I started with ProRes HQ and ended the day in ProRes 422 and ProRes LT. 

The lack of a remote live view was only an issue because my friends and I had a horror movie contest for Halloween. The rules were:

One person had to do everything. There could be no help. We had to write it, shoot it, act in it, edit it, and put it online. The challenge was getting the footage I needed in a timely fashion.  I shot my video the morning of the deadline, put it together, and uploaded on time. 

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't for the life of me understand why cameras, pretty damn expensive ones, are so damn behind Smartphones for tech that it is crazy. Jesus it's like they are stuck in the year 2000?? It can't be a space issue, Christ most phones now are paper thin. And they new Apple ones you can get 512gb memory in them. Probably more than the buffer on most of these damn cameras have.

I saw a review of the Nikon Z6, and hell it was bumping up on the buffer in Photo Mode all the time. WTF?

Bit rate could be an explanation. I'd bet more on larger sensor heating with no absolute clue on engineering, though : -) 

3 hours ago, Mckinise said:

I like the user interface and how easy it is to find and select the settings you want to use. I really like the image and the motion from the camera. There seems to be less ghosting in 24 fps than I was getting with my GH5.  For me, it is easier to get the image I want in camera as long as I am not in the scene. 

I was getting about 40 minutes per battery. 5 batteries got me through a Quinceanera gig, but I was sweating toward the end.  One battery left with about 70%. 

Storage was a challenge. I started with ProRes HQ and ended the day in ProRes 422 and ProRes LT. 

The lack of a remote live view was only an issue because my friends and I had a horror movie contest for Halloween. The rules were:

One person had to do everything. There could be no help. We had to write it, shoot it, act in it, edit it, and put it online. The challenge was getting the footage I needed in a timely fashion.  I shot my video the morning of the deadline, put it together, and uploaded on time. 

I can see a battery pack and a SSD in your future LoL.

Paul Leeming (DP and LUT creator) has been enjoying his first outings (well, tests) with the camera.  This from Facebook:

I have to say the 12 bit RAW footage is SO much nicer to deal with in post than 10bit 4:2:2 😂 The cleanliness and separation of colours is lovely and they really pop, without any artifacting or colour bleed. This camera is simply stunning for the price! So far I've only been doing technical tests, in order to characterise the sensor. I will try to do some more beauty and artistic shots over the next few days to really see how it handles in a narrative sense, but I am pretty sure that it's going to look incredible judging by the tech tests!!!

Great news! I used his LUT for the LS300 a lot for quick turnaround grades. 

I have no idea how the science of colour reproduction works, but I image a LUT on a RAW file will come out a little differently than the same shot in ProRes. I wonder then, if he'll make one that works for RAW, ProRes and Braw - or if he'll release 3 different ones...

Just received my BMPCC4K today . yay  - (What a joy using a camera with an intuitive UI)

Finally I bought a Sandisk Extreme Portable Ssd instead of the Samsung T5. (or making my own) Better price for the same config and better performance. Amazon had an offer:
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B078SWJ3CF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
To my surprise it performs quite a bit better than the announced  550MB/s read speed - In the BM speed test I got R:800+MB/s and W:700+MB/s !! (formatted in ExFat) even after a few minutes run.
Recording with the ssd it delivers too. No dropped frames in any settings (raw 4k dci @ 60 fps is no problem)

So solar very recommendable.

I tested a few 64GB v90 sd cards as well (Lexmark and Sandisk). 4K DCI 25fps in prores (all flavours) works fine no dropped frames (in LT get 23 min recording time - in HQ 11...). Even 1080p100 works (24 min in LT) So if slowmo in 4k isn't necessary no need to spend cash on the fastest  sd/cf cards (at least in PAL-land)
( in 1080p25 you get 45m in HQ and 97m in LT - pretty descent)

I have been reading quite some complaints regarding the battery door. It doesn't seem flawed to me. Though the door locking mechanism can probably trick/annoy some. One have to put the locking nod back in place after closing the door. Doing that it should be just fine (not the best design but no deal breaker) 

Since the camera got released there has been quite a few critical voices complaining just about anything it had to offer (or missing). 
Having had it in my hands for a few hours I find a lot of the comments quite a bit exaggerated. Sure an articulated screen could be great in some occasions and sure the battery life depletes quite fast. But those are things one can easily work around. I know I can. I am more than confident that I will enjoy the results filming with this camera 😄

The joke about the battery was a joke ... No downvotes or a pointer to power solutions needed.

I either need 3h battery (=wall power) or 40 min handheld (albeit short) is enough for those occasions.

Anyway, the above example was shot in raw, how long can you go before you need to switch recording media ? Even on a 512 GB harddisk ?

I don't imagine being able to shoot a 2h concert in raw ? raw 4:1 should be about 700 GB ...

2 hours ago, dslnc said:

Finally I bought a Sandisk Extreme Portable Ssd instead of the Samsung T5. (or making my own) Better price for the same config and better performance. 
To my surprise it performs quite a bit better than the announced  550MB/s read speed - In the BM speed test I got R:800+MB/s and W:700+MB/s !! (formatted in ExFat) even after a few minutes run.
Recording with the ssd it delivers too. No dropped frames in any settings (raw 4k dci @ 60 fps is no problem)

Could you post a screenshot with results of your test? Because other tests show that the write speed of Sandisk SSD is about 500MB/s. Thank you.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9H

ssd.JPG

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

Could you post a screenshot with results of your test? Because other tests show that the write speed of Sandisk SSD is about 500MB/s. Thank you.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9H

ssd.JPG

I know - I saw those test before deciding to buy that ssd over the T5 - hence my supprise.

I will post screenshot tomorrow. 

My best bet is that they use a 10Gbit usb3c interface and a higher end ssd than Samsung 

And maybe are using faster SSDs in their latest batch - the review is from 6 month ago.

I am being an idiot... 

Ok so I decided to test once more - and I a complete idiot overly happy after waiting almost 7 month finally having this bloody camera - I forgot to change the target disk mode of the test app...

aaaaegh - sorry for me misinformation about max speed. But It do works great with the BMPCC4K

2 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

I don't imagine being able to shoot a 2h concert in raw ? raw 4:1 should be about 700 GB ...

with 500GB available DCI 4k in raw 3:1 gives me 66min @25fps , 4:1 82 min.

To get 2+ hours from 500gb I  have to 'downgrade' to prores 422 (not HQ)