RED and Foxconn to create range of affordable 8K prosumer cinema cameras

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

That's where they are most useful of course. In the home, it's inevitable they are coming by 2020. As for 8K on the camera side it could be useful for making VR content. VR needs the resolution.

I see an 8K camera as more than just the numbers though... 8K makes for superb 4K. Anything from RED / Foxconn aimed at affordable prosumer market is welcome with me!!

• Administrators

The Hydrogen stuff is already done and in production. This is about a future tie-up they are in talks over at the moment - a completely new line of cinema cameras. Terry Gou says he wants to get into that digital cinema camera market according to the article.

This is huge news. I’m really excited about this. Red has raw recording down. It’s the only platform that works on all NLE’s and is as convenient as loading in raw stills into Lightroom. I’ve been dreaming of the day when they would put r3d inside of a dslr sized body. I hope this pans out and that it actually happens. It would make red lots of money I think and would potentially make shooting raw the new norm. 

Ya and the raven really isn’t much of a discount either once you build it out. Red stuff is all hand built and comes backed with extreme warranty and repair. I wonder if we will loose that trust that’s there now with them. Still really cool stuff. Excited about the future here. I believe the helium sensor is one of the best out there these days. Especially with the new IPP2 color science. They really have come a long way thanks to the millions from Netflix and Amazon 

• Administrators

I hope they are pricing whatever they do like the early Blackmagic cinema cameras, but with much better sensors and much smaller design concepts with low energy consumption.

Mini Epic without a fan, with DSLR size battery.

This could be the Blackmagic revolution all over again. Mega exciting!!

8K for 8K anyone? :glasses:

Wondering will this prompt Samsung to return to camera market?  because smartphone market is not as it used to be.. getting pretty saturated and the Chinese on their way to domination.  While camera market on the whole is going upmarket with each new camera getting more and more expensive.

Does anybody care, I would say that a true 4k image is already too sharp, I am distracted when things are too sharp like in the Hobbit and I don't see anybody outside of geeks interested in 4k. Most TV channel are either 720p or SD in the world and most people are not bothered at all. I myself is a bit of a image geek and cannot understand people completely satisfied with SD image,  more so beyond 4k is just ludicrous. In fact we might go completely reverse like from CD to Mp3, much to my disapointment, I see a whole generation completely growing up watching Films on Tablets or worst on phones.