Magic Lantern progress continues as 14bit 60FPS resolution increases

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

DSC00284b.jpg

Slow-mo raw shooters can now make use of an improved 2K 60p mode on the 5D Mark III thanks to Magic Lantern.

In addition, 1920 x 800 recordings at 60fps are continuous to the card without a frame limit, a feat made possible thanks to new lossless compression.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it..... who cares?? This isn't ANYTHING impressive by any means. I know this is "EOSHD" so obviously ANYTHING related to canon or 'eos' cameras in general you will cover.... but this literally angered me. As if somehow bringing these features to the 5D mkiii is benficial in anyway shape or form. Sure it's "cool" and "fun" to play around with, but it's literally a joke. The 5DIII is almost 8years old I think, and that said it's time to move on from it. They should be working on the 5DIV and finding out how to crack that sucker open because if they could bypass the limitations on the IV I think ALOT of people would be changing their tune from saying the 5DIV sucked and is handicapped in Everyway. It's cool for 5DIII owners they get something new sure, but I wishtheyd focus their attention on newer cameras that have newer features that would make our lives and jobs much easier 

49 minutes ago, SullyCortez said:

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it..... who cares?? This isn't ANYTHING impressive by any means. I know this is "EOSHD" so obviously ANYTHING related to canon or 'eos' cameras in general you will cover.... but this literally angered me. As if somehow bringing these features to the 5D mkiii is benficial in anyway shape or form. Sure it's "cool" and "fun" to play around with, but it's literally a joke. The 5DIII is almost 8years old I think, and that said it's time to move on from it. They should be working on the 5DIV and finding out how to crack that sucker open because if they could bypass the limitations on the IV I think ALOT of people would be changing their tune from saying the 5DIV sucked and is handicapped in Everyway. It's cool for 5DIII owners they get something new sure, but I wishtheyd focus their attention on newer cameras that have newer features that would make our lives and jobs much easier 

Canon is like the girlfriend you went out with in high school that dumped you for the captain of the football team.  You don't really care about them them anymore, but every now and then you check up with them because of curiosity... And when you do check them out, you notice they haven't changed; and you tell them you are happy for them when they say they are on their 3rd marriage and this time, things are looking "really good"...

57 minutes ago, eleison said:

Canon is like the girlfriend you went out with in high school that dumped you for the captain of the football team.  You don't really care about them them anymore, but every now and then you check up with them because of curiosity... And when you do check them out, you notice they haven't changed; and you tell them you are happy for them when they say they are on their 3rd marriage and this time, things are looking "really good"...

Yeah but she still has the best skin tone and still pretty hot. You kinda wish you could hook up with her again (even just once) if it wasn't for all her issues and the fact that she's a gold digger. 

7 hours ago, SullyCortez said:

while I fully respect your opinion, I do not agree with it. It is really impressive that a 8 years old camera is capable of such amazing things, and they were hidden by canon in order to protect their professional line. Impressive that a bunch of people who share their time and knowledge with the community just because they wanted to.

it is not perfect, I agree with that, they are still working on it...it might take some time until the final product can be free of bugs/problems, but at least they found that the camera is capable of doing it.

You have to understand how this process works...it is NOT EASY at all to hack/change the code in this cameras, you need to know how to program, how the camera works, find a hole in the camera firmware, for example the latest 5d mark III do not support ML, Canon blocked the hack, you have to downgrade to firmware 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 to use it.

the new cameras come with new technology that might not be possible to hack....A1ex and a bunch of other people who help him all of them need a 5d mark IV to hack it and trial and error the hack, find errors, fix them, more test...repeat the process etc etc.... they might brick the camera, Are you ready to trash $3500 if your camera doesn't work anymore?.

A lot of people cannot afford right now a 5d mark IV, so it makes sense for ML team to continue to work and get whatever they can extra  from a 5d mark III .

If you want  ML team to works on a 5d mark IV find other happy owners of this new camera and buy altogether a new/used 5d mark IV and send it to them for free, so they can start working with the hack.

ML might or might not be ported to 5d mark IV . I cannot imagine the cool things this new camera will do with ML,  but until then let's enjoy the new findings with 5d mark III.

12 hours ago, SullyCortez said:

They should be working on the 5DIV and finding out how to crack that sucker open

Well, yes, of course they should. You should be absolutely entitled to dictate the free laborious direction of talented strangers.  

You're obviously a very special person that deserves to have their every wish granted, your laundry done for you, a hot bowl of mac 'n cheese served on the dining room table, and your jammies laid out for you before beddy-bye each and every evening. 

8 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Well, yes, of course they should. You should be absolutely entitled to dictate the laborious direction of talented strangers.  

You're obviously a very special person that deserves to have their every wish granted, your laundry done for you, a hot bowl of mac 'n cheese served on the dining room table, and your jammies laid out for you before beddy-bye each and every evening. 

I'm sure Canon will have a big surprise for us at NAB. :) 

Just for clarification. The 5DIII is not eight years old but just a tad over five. It shipped in March 2012. I took delivery of two of the first in the UK on 17th March 2012. The body only one was £2999 & the one with 24-105mm F/4L was £3689. Used a body only 5DIII is still worth £1000-1500.

I think that it's amazing that the Magic Lantern guys are still squeezing new features out of a five year old camera that is still a decent pro tool. It doesn't shoot 4K but the colours & the full frame look are still gorgeous.

On 04/09/2017 at 7:09 AM, roxics said:

Yeah but she still has the best skin tone and still pretty hot. You kinda wish you could hook up with her again (even just once) if it wasn't for all her issues and the fact that she's a gold digger. 

Even if she is a little bigger than the other girls.