Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, kye said:

Are you aware that shooting the 12-35 f2.8 at 25mm f2.8 isn't the same as shooting a 50mm f2.8 on FF?  25mm f2.8 on MFT is the same as 50mm f5.6 on FF.  To get the same DOF on MFT as you get from FF 50mm f1.2 would require something like 25mm f0.6, which I don't think even exists.  

Of course it's not, i just said it's easy to find f2.8 lenses that matches the f4 of ff which is still 'okish' dof. What really makes the GH5 specifically useful to me are two lenses that after trying different things are now keepers:
Olympus pro 17mm f1.2 and the 45mm f1.2 combined with Ibis and the full manual focus on the lenses make it a everyday tool on every production. I keep a 35mm 1.4 Glied to the eva1 and have a wide and portrait equivalent of 35mm f2.4 and a 90mm 2.4 in FF terms but with 1.2 light gathering. All together a very good package.

37 minutes ago, GreekBeast said:

Of course it's not, i just said it's easy to find f2.8 lenses that matches the f4 of ff which is still 'okish' dof. What really makes the GH5 specifically useful to me are two lenses that after trying different things are now keepers:
Olympus pro 17mm f1.2 and the 45mm f1.2 combined with Ibis and the full manual focus on the lenses make it a everyday tool on every production. I keep a 35mm 1.4 Glied to the eva1 and have a wide and portrait equivalent of 35mm f2.4 and a 90mm 2.4 in FF terms but with 1.2 light gathering. All together a very good package.

Cool.  Sadly, there are a lot of people running around thinking the 12-35 f2.8 is the same as a 24-70 f2.8 Canon L lens.

I run my GH5 with the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 on by default, an SLR Magic 8mm f4 for getting those 'wow' landscapes or interior shots, and am still working out my options for the 80-120mm equivalent length (in the running are a few 50/55/58mm lenses from Minolta, Pentax, and Helios), and also the options for sports lenses.

On my trip I used the 17.5mm maybe 80% of the time, the 8mm maybe 10% and the 58mm the other 10% of the time.  The right trio of lenses and you're ready to just work and get shots, it's great when the gear gets out of the way like that.

Is that a GH5?

EqkEUsK.jpg

I suppose so, right? The Grand Tour is back on Amazon Prime. Car shows like it have always shown love for Lumix cameras!

Interesting it's not the GH5S (I think). That one was supposed to cater to this scene since GH4 IBIS wasn't up to their needs and they'd prefer to rig the cameras up, rather than to rely on IBIS. Was the GH5S out when they started filming? Maybe not. That's such a shame about the show, takes 'em forever and then they're kind of behind on all actuality.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:07 PM, FoxAdriano said:

Hello, the next months I will go to make a short documentary in the Coptic churches with poor light.The churches at night lit up little more than with candlelight of many faithful. Can anyone advise me how to configure the GH5 to get a good video inside the churches? I have the Leica 12-60mm f / 2.8 lens.
Outside I want to film in 50p but maybe inside it would be better to film in 25p to get more light. Quite right? Thank you.

Firstly if using the 12-60 Leica you'd want to keep to the wide end as the aperture falls rapidly...
2.8 - 12mm up to...
2.9 - 13mm
3.0 - 15mm
3.1 - 16mm
3.2 - 18mm
3.3 - 20mm
3.4 - 23mm (tested twice)
3.5 - 24mm (tested twice)
3.6 - 27mm
3.7 - 29mm
3.8 - 32mm
3.9 - 36mm
4.0 - 52mm

A brighter lens would be good but you need to check you get the DoF as it's no use if you don't have enough stuff in focus.

Also you can try a longer exposure. Rather than 180 degrees (so 1/50th for 25fps) try shooting up to 360 degrees (i.e. 1/25th) if really dark. Note not so good with much movement or panning. Oh and yes, 25 fps not 50.

I like to shoot in VLogL (which is a paid-for upgrade and needs practising before using, also setting a viewfinder LUT which is a built-in option) when it's dark as it gives me the most flexibility on setting the light level I want in editing and not falling off a cliff, but that's for when I don't want a "standard exposure" but want the scene to look somewhat dark. The in-viewfinder histogram can be useful (once moved to a corner).

If you want a zoom and don't mind manual focus you could consider using a f2.8 FF lens with a SpeedBooster, if you can rent them from somewhere (e.g. 16-35). Or just rent/buy a f1.2 (or faster) m43 lens. However you might find a Panasonic lens with OIS that supports Dual-IS2 is really useful (I tend to do that when hand-holding over a slightly faster lens with less good stabilisation).

Do note that wanting a dark scene to look somewhat dark, rather than fully lit, will help with noise etc.

Hope something there helps!

On 1/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, FoxAdriano said:

Hello, the next months I will go to make a short documentary in the Coptic churches with poor light.The churches at night lit up little more than with candlelight of many faithful. Can anyone advise me how to configure the GH5 to get a good video inside the churches? I have the Leica 12-60mm f / 2.8 lens.
Outside I want to film in 50p but maybe inside it would be better to film in 25p to get more light. Quite right? Thank you.

Mmm, the slowest I'd go for is the 25mm 1.4 or something like the Kamlan 1.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_O3drNt01Q I just think 2.8 is too slow for that described. If you're at 3200 iso it's a bit rough. Anyway, wider aperture with candles = bokeh balls! 

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well the 8K guy is back, alive and well. Interesting results.

Interesting.  Not really surprising, but still good to see.

Discussions of sensor sizes is a fun one - anyone who thinks bigger is better should see the Large Format photography guys struggling to nail focus on their landscape detail shots because their depth of field is so ridiculously thin and stopping down sufficiently means diffraction and longer exposure times, both of which soften image sharpness as well.

Yeah I am not too sure our eyes can even see much improvement in 8k or above. Any movement at all is going to stand out like a sore thumb. I mean it is coming no doubt, but it is probably going to be overkill for most people.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:54 AM, kye said:

Much of what you say makes sense, but I disagree with some of it.

Are you aware that shooting the 12-35 f2.8 at 25mm f2.8 isn't the same as shooting a 50mm f2.8 on FF?  25mm f2.8 on MFT is the same as 50mm f5.6 on FF.  To get the same DOF on MFT as you get from FF 50mm f1.2 would require something like 25mm f0.6, which I don't think even exists.  
This is a handy tool for comparing equivalent focal lengths and apertures: https://mmcalc.com
This is a handy tool for comparing DOF: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I also disagree that f2.8 on MFT will be enough light.

Late last year I did a couple of trips with my GH5, shooting in ambient light conditions, sometimes at night (eg, streetlights and shop windows), with my Voigtlander 17.5mm 0.95, and I found two things: f0.95 was needed to reduce noise in the image, and f0.95 wasn't as crazy shallow DOF as you'd think.

This is an image I have shared previously, and I think you would agree that it's not a crazy shallow DOF shot - but this was absolutely at f0.95.

1002543976_ScreenShot2018-12-29at10_06_52am.png.48651f26fa53a0899babde2cce5089de.png

In terms of what the OP needs to film a building at night with tall ceilings only lit by candles, is probably more than what I needed when filming my family in being lit by street-lights, shop windows, and Christmas lights.

I don't know if the GH5 with fast lenses will even be enough - they might shoot it and be left with a very noisy image that suffers in quality after sufficient noise-reduction has been applied.  If they want to get any shots where their lenses aren't fully open then they're in trouble with the GH5 too, although how many of these shots they'd need is dependent on the situation and their shooting style.  At least with the A7Sii they'd have some wiggle-room in between having too shallow DOF and having too much noise in the final image.  

It's an extreme recommendation to make, but it's an extreme situation too. 

He said that most productions are shot in 4-5.6f, and that is true, so 2.8f m43 is good for S35 anyway, which is true, and S35 is STILL the industry standard.

We shoot some TV shows (which do 16-20% in the ratings, which are very good numbers for our country) with GH5 and 12-100mm and noone have asked for shallower DOF, sometimes I shoot near the defraction numbers to manage to have more things in focus.

Also, amateurs usually have the most complaints and needs. A super fast AF camera that sees in the dark and takes pictures and/or videos of little kids running around in dim lighted appartments birthday parties, which is the most difficult situation anyway..

A GH5S + a light gimbal (I’ve had my eye on Icecam Vision 3; anyone have experience with it?) is a killer combo that does almost everything well except maybe extreme DOF and if you need that then a speedbooster will fix it.

In my opinion you can’t beat the versatility of a good m4/3 camera for video like the GH5(s) series. Almost any lens can be adapted to it. It offers a great balance between DOF and lightness/size of lenses and, when you need it, can be adapted to get the look you want. Every time.

panasonic would do well to recognize this and deliver the GH6 as a full fledged video monster. Forget the photo quality. The G9 is better in that regard. 

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

A GH5S + a light gimbal (I’ve had my eye on Icecam Vision 3; anyone have experience with it?) is a killer combo that does almost everything well except maybe extreme DOF and if you need that then a speedbooster will fix it.

In my opinion you can’t beat the versatility of a good m4/3 camera for video like the GH5(s) series. Almost any lens can be adapted to it. It offers a great balance between DOF and lightness/size of lenses and, when you need it, can be adapted to get the look you want. Every time.

panasonic would do well to recognize this and deliver the GH6 as a full fledged video monster. Forget the photo quality. The G9 is better in that regard. 

What compromises for video do you think they're making to get good photo quality?  What does the G9 do better for photographs?

What about timelapses? :)

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

What light gimbal can you recommend with a GH5s?

17 hours ago, kye said:

What compromises for video do you think they're making to get good photo quality?  What does the G9 do better for photographs?

What about timelapses? :)

Not a whole lot right now. 🙂 G9 has 20MP sensor (same as the Gh5). More robust IBIS. Pixel shift technology for ultra high MP photos (80MP) for static scenes. It’s a GH5 Tweaked a bit for just photos. It still takes great video but has a recording limit.

I was suggesting Panasonic shift the GH line to be video centric and keep the G line photo centric. As I believe the strength of M4/3 is in video and it’s less compelling in photos. Unless Panasonic can deliver a high megapixel sensor with good enough low light to be compelling against full frame. People want that shallow depth of field in their photos now and m4/3 is just not going to do it out of the box. They are the better street camera in my opinion though. Smaller lenses means more discreet.

I would like to see Panasonic move the GH6 in the same direction as they moved the GH5S. Less but bigger mega pixels for better low light. Dual ISO. Internal ND 😉 HDMI type-A out. Kinda like what Sony does with the A7sii versus the A7Rii. Tune the M4/3 format for video capture. They obviously think full frame is the future for their photo professionals.

A GH6 with a fixed 16MP sensor that super-samples 16MP down to a final 10MP 4K image for added noise reduction and killer electronic stabilization (GoPro 7 levels and better). The cinematic pros can flip a switch and turn off “IBIS” and have their fixed sensor and 5K anamorphic modes. Improve the dual iso performance. Include next generation DfD AF. Support 4K 120p without a crop. Better codecs, better flip screen, better weather sealing. Offer a better ND solution (internal or via adapter). Anything is better than screw on lens NDs.

10 hours ago, Shirozina said:

The Ronin-S has the integration with the Panasonic cameras to control focus and trigger recording from the gimbal without touching the camera.

That’s a great gimbal but on the heavy side. A Moza Air Cross 3 is a nice, light feature rich gimbal that I would recommend.

I wish DJI would release a Ronin-S mini or something.

20 hours ago, TurboRat said:

What light gimbal can you recommend with a GH5s?

The Zhiyun-Tech Crane-2 also works very well with the GH5 & GH5s and is inexpensive (*not* the Crane v2). We have used one for hundreds of hours. With the recent firmware updates, it also interfaces with the camera well.

Although, I will say that I prefer the angled back of the Ronin-S and the Moza Air 2, if I were buying new ones. The angled back makes it easier to see the screen on a hybrid. Also, think carefully about your gimbal selection if you eventually plan to purchase a BMPCC4K.

16 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I hope they realize that GH5 users are buying it for video and not for taking pictures. Replace the mechanical shutter with an internal ND!

I think an electronic ND feature that only works for photos would be a cool idea