Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mirekti said:

@Sage How does Data Level impact the conversion, should it be left at video or full throughout the Davinci path (Media tab -> clip attributes, Project Settings -> Video monitoring, Deliver -> Advanced settings )? 

You'll want them at Auto, and Video for the Project settings. The exception is for VLog wrapped in ProRes or DNxHD - these clips should be set to full (if the ProRes PRE is not used), because the correct Full flagging is hidden in a Video level codec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Sage said:

You'll want them at Auto, and Video for the Project settings. The exception is for VLog wrapped in ProRes or DNxHD - these clips should be set to full (if the ProRes PRE is not used), because the correct Full flagging is hidden in a Video level codec

 

I am using DNxHD. Does this mean I could either use ProRes PRE or simply keep the levels set to full throughout the video?
Or you'd recommend to use Auto at Clip Attributes in in Edit tab, apply ProRes PRE in Color tab. In Project Settings, under Video Monitoring -> Data levels Video, and eventually in Deliver tab again Video? The Auto option is only available in Deliver tab and in Edit tab under Clip attributes. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 12:35 PM, mirekti said:

I am using DNxHD. Does this mean I could either use ProRes PRE or simply keep the levels set to full throughout the video?
Or you'd recommend to use Auto at Clip Attributes in in Edit tab, apply ProRes PRE in Color tab. In Project Settings, under Video Monitoring -> Data levels Video, and eventually in Deliver tab again Video? The Auto option is only available in Deliver tab and in Edit tab under Clip attributes.

Yep, either way will do. You can keep those both at auto - or set clip attributes to Full (when not using the PRE)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My timecode keeps resetting - does anyone know what settings to use so that it only counts up while recording but doesn't reset?  It reset at 00:13:11:01 so it didn't "wrap-around".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have the GH5 which has been updated with the latest update. I shoot only at 50p in UHD. I would like to know if I can enable the HDR but I don't think it is possible. I have a TV with HDR.

Some suggestions please:

1) In your opinion, is it better to set my GH5 with rec709 or YUV 420 rec2020?

2) Is it better I shoot at rec2020 with my GH5 and I edit at rec2020 with Edius 9?
Thank you for some info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, could you clear some worrires please? I shoot with GH5 only at 50p Pal System.
Do you get a better UHD video by shooting in MP4 LPCM or MOV? They are options to choose in Rec format.

Then,
I'm noticing in HDMI recording output/Bit mode 4K/50p I have the option to activate 4:2:2 10bit.
But I've always known that you can shoot in 4:2:2 only at 25p. What does it happen if I enable 4: 2: 2 10bit and I shoot at 50p?

Then:
I don't see "Color space" on the GH5 Menu. Could you tell me where it is precisely?
Thanks a lot for clearing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wanted to get the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter, however, the controls are on the LEFT side.
I work from the RIGHT side.

Anyone try the Lanparte extension cable for the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter?
Suppossedly the Canon OC-3 external flash cable adapter works also?

These would be great, if they work, allowing you to mount how you wanted, and NOT on the hot shoe mount of the camera body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 1:15 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I have the GH5 which has been updated with the latest update. I shoot only at 50p in UHD. I would like to know if I can enable the HDR but I don't think it is possible. I have a TV with HDR.

Some suggestions please:

1) In your opinion, is it better to set my GH5 with rec709 or YUV 420 rec2020?

2) Is it better I shoot at rec2020 with my GH5 and I edit at rec2020 with Edius 9?
Thank you for some info.

MP4 HEVC for your panasonic hdr tv is 25p only.

When you say Rec2020 do you mean the HLG Colour Style? That is only available at 25p, not 50p.

For editing in post at 50p and you want the most dynamic range then CineD is good, then add a post LUT from Eoshd or LeemingLutPro. 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:47 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, could you clear some worrires please? I shoot with GH5 only at 50p Pal System.
Do you get a better UHD video by shooting in MP4 LPCM or MOV? They are options to choose in Rec format.

Then,
I'm noticing in HDMI recording output/Bit mode 4K/50p I have the option to activate 4:2:2 10bit.
But I've always known that you can shoot in 4:2:2 only at 25p. What does it happen if I enable 4: 2: 2 10bit and I shoot at 50p?

Then:
I don't see "Color space" on the GH5 Menu. Could you tell me where it is precisely?
Thanks a lot for clearing up.

LPCM MP4 and MOV are the same files, different "container". No difference. Use LPCM if using PC. 

HDMI recording mode refers to sending the signal out the HDMI socket to an external recorder. That is the only way you can get 10bit at 50p.

Colour space is called "photo style" in the movie menu, page 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, buggz said:

I always wanted to get the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter, however, the controls are on the LEFT side.
I work from the RIGHT side.

Anyone try the Lanparte extension cable for the DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter?
Suppossedly the Canon OC-3 external flash cable adapter works also?

These would be great, if they work, allowing you to mount how you wanted, and NOT on the hot shoe mount of the camera body.

What do you mean left side? Arent the controls at the back? you can turn it before sliding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

No it's on the side, left side.

 

 

audio.jpg

Yes you're right it's on the right side and can't be turned. Now Im curious how it can be rotated to the left side. Looks like you can't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but once you have the levels, switches set the way you want them how often do you really need to access it? You aren't going to change anything when you are rolling I would think.

I am left handed, so most stuff to me is ass backwards anyways LoL. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, buggz said:

I work off of a tripod, and I see no way to monitor levels DURING recording, so, now this a moot option to me...

Why not just display the microphone level on the recording screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Why not just display the microphone level on the recording screen?

Hmm, I think that is actually being performed as is set up.

I need to play with the GH5 rig some more.

My biggest problem is that I bounce around from the X-T2 rig, and the GH5 rig, hard to keep up sometimes.

Anywho, family Thanksgiving is beckoning, later...

Happy Thanksgiving to EVERYONE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have GH5 with the latest update. I need to shoot in 4K 50p and HDR. I know it is impossible, do I have to change my GH5 with another camera or is there some external devices that allow to rec in HDR? Could it be possible with the next update? Thanks for some info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all, new to the forum and just wanted to ask a quick question before I ask a hundred more.  Whats your favorite MFT macro lens for the GH5?

Thanks for any tips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...