Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah that looks great. I’d love to know where he used which camera. I have my guesses from looking at the trailer. I assume the X-T2 was the main camera and the GH5 was the run and gun handheld camera.

From the comments it sounded like the GH5 was the main camera with the XT2 as a b cam. 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, stefanocps said:

when i watch xt3 post i want to buy xt3, when i watch gh5 posts i want to buy gh5.. :) :) how to get out of this?

Buy a camera that is "good enough" and learn to colour grade.

Seriously.  I used to be like you, but then I worked out what I wanted in an image and bought the right camera and lenses, and now when I hear that there's a new 12K RAW 16-bit pocket camera with built-in gimbal and AI drone I don't even care.  It happens that the camera I bought was a GH5, but if you have different needs then it will be a different camera.

The other part is learning to colour grade.  I was "done" with other cameras when I pulled the GH5 files into Resolve and it looked and felt like when the pros grade cinema camera footage - they pull in a shot and it looks flat because it's log, and then they push and pull it around almost mercilessly and it just does it and looks great, and the GH5 files did that too.  With all my previous cameras the file was fragile and would break given half a chance.

I'm not getting spectacular images out of the GH5 yet, but that's because I just need to learn to grade better.  I know the GH5 is great and it's about my ability to grade, not its limitations.  Specifically I think that's because it's 10-bit and the colour science doesn't have problems, so I know I can work with it.  Your results and preferences might be different, but when you're wishing you had something else it's because you're not happy with what you have.  There are always better cameras and we all wish we had an Alexa but many of us are satisfied even if the Alexa has a better image.

My doubt is not referred to the final quality of the image, but to the moment i am using the camera for work.that means facilities, confortable, confident, quick of use, reliability, something that would let me forget about the tecnological tool in fabour of the creative tool

50 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

My doubt is not referred to the final quality of the image, but to the moment i am using the camera for work.that means facilities, confortable, confident, quick of use, reliability, something that would let me forget about the tecnological tool in fabour of the creative tool

The GH5 is a proven workhorse.  I'm not sure about the XT3 but knowing Fuji it's likely it's also a well-built product like that.

there is something i notice. In  many of the videomakers forums, fuji looks like being mostly ignored, i don t see iscussions, excitment, ecc about this fuji, and i wonder why. They keep talking panasonic, sony, new nikon ecc..but very little xt3

6 hours ago, stefanocps said:

there is something i notice. In  many of the videomakers forums, fuji looks like being mostly ignored, i don t see iscussions, excitment, ecc about this fuji, and i wonder why. They keep talking panasonic, sony, new nikon ecc..but very little xt3

Panasonic has a long reputation now of being a camera for video, since the GH2 days. Fuji kind of just jumped into the game with the XT3. It just doesn't have the following Canon, Sony and Panasonic have yet.

You can't go wrong with either camera man. Pretty much the Panasonic will win in terms of having no record limit and IBIS. Fuji wins in terms of ISO performance, auto focus, color, resolution, and higher frame rates(better quality higher frame rates). It also comes down to if you have a preference towards M43 or APSC(maybe you have a lot of m43 lenses or simply like the versatility of them).

21 hours ago, kye said:

Buy a camera that is "good enough" and learn to colour grade.

Seriously.  I used to be like you, but then I worked out what I wanted in an image and bought the right camera and lenses, and now when I hear that there's a new 12K RAW 16-bit pocket camera with built-in gimbal and AI drone I don't even care.  It happens that the camera I bought was a GH5, but if you have different needs then it will be a different camera.

The other part is learning to colour grade.  I was "done" with other cameras when I pulled the GH5 files into Resolve and it looked and felt like when the pros grade cinema camera footage - they pull in a shot and it looks flat because it's log, and then they push and pull it around almost mercilessly and it just does it and looks great, and the GH5 files did that too.  With all my previous cameras the file was fragile and would break given half a chance.

I'm not getting spectacular images out of the GH5 yet, but that's because I just need to learn to grade better.  I know the GH5 is great and it's about my ability to grade, not its limitations.  Specifically I think that's because it's 10-bit and the colour science doesn't have problems, so I know I can work with it.  Your results and preferences might be different, but when you're wishing you had something else it's because you're not happy with what you have.  There are always better cameras and we all wish we had an Alexa but many of us are satisfied even if the Alexa has a better image.

I recommend buying an old BMPCC for a few dollars and learn shooting and coloring.

I've had GH5 for over two years,  and I bought an old BMPCC and BMMCC six months ago and that was the best decision I ever made, color and DR is excellent ! 

it will do much more work but it's worth it.

1 hour ago, tonysss said:

I recommend buying an old BMPCC for a few dollars and learn shooting and coloring.

I've had GH5 for over two years,  and I bought an old BMPCC and BMMCC six months ago and that was the best decision I ever made, color and DR is excellent ! 

it will do much more work but it's worth it.

buying bmpcc is nearly impossibile right now, so better go elsewhere