Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

So, when you gonna try an 80mpixel portrait of Gunpowder with your new/used:) G9? You would need her in a calm position though:)

Treats goes a long way :)

Got some nice shots of her yesterday with the G85 + Viltrox. Also did a street session, really wished I would have had a top display. 

Luckily I've finally located a couple of used G9s that costs less than the a brand new GH5 (which is $550 off right now). It makes it psychologically easier to pay the premium for the G9.

This from an article about the influences in Better Call Saul (shot with the Red Dragon and Angenieux zooms):

One of the Breaking Bad trademarks that Gilligan wanted to maintain for Better Call Saul is placing the camera in unusual spots. For many of those shots, Albert used a very compact Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4. “We put it on the ground shooting straight up, inside a coffee cup, on a threshold. Anywhere you could stick a camera, we put a camera,” he says. “When we were shooting a driving shot, I put it on the ground and Bob Odenkirk, who is a brilliant driver, very precisely drove over it without touching it. We were always looking for unusual shots.”

source

A quick test dynamic range, now it's getting darker, tomorrow morning I'll try again, the test is performed so that it has been exposed to highlights zebra 95% (BM Assist Monitor), all cameras - internal record. 1080p25 + Panasonic 12-35f2.8 

test: https://vimeo.com/user9259559/review/290741717/c75810bee5

GX80 - it's not as good as I thought ?

BEST - GH5/BMPCC, second place GH4 .......................................and GX80,

can be downloaded from VIMEO (original ProRes422) , BMPCC in RAW test tomorrow.

IMG_1724.JPG

18 minutes ago, tonysss said:

A quick test dynamic range, now it's getting darker, tomorrow morning I'll try again, the test is performed so that it has been exposed to highlights zebra 95% (BM Assist Monitor), all cameras - internal record. 1080p25 + Panasonic 12-35f2.8 

BEST - GH5/BMPCC, second place GH4 .......................................and GX80,

Link doesn't work bro

31 minutes ago, tonysss said:

IMG_1724.JPG

Awesome, I will download as soon as I get home. Again, really appreciate it!

4 hours ago, tonysss said:

test2:

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it (even if it did make my life a little more difficult in choosing a b-cam for video :) ).
Also, the bmpcc.. wow. Stil holds such tremendous value. If I end up letting go of the X-H1 and stick to m4/3 I will ad one of them as well. I often miss having one.

Thanks again!

21 hours ago, jonpais said:

This from an article about the influences in Better Call Saul (shot with the Red Dragon and Angenieux zooms):

One of the Breaking Bad trademarks that Gilligan wanted to maintain for Better Call Saul is placing the camera in unusual spots. For many of those shots, Albert used a very compact Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4. “We put it on the ground shooting straight up, inside a coffee cup, on a threshold. Anywhere you could stick a camera, we put a camera,” he says. “When we were shooting a driving shot, I put it on the ground and Bob Odenkirk, who is a brilliant driver, very precisely drove over it without touching it. We were always looking for unusual shots.”

source

Oh wow, I'm watching Better Call Saul right now! (as in it is playing in the corner on this monitor right now as I type)
Am quite a fan of the show. 
And yes, I've noticed it uses a lot of unusual camera positions. Didn't realise it was with a lowly GH4! :-o

The article however is from early 2015, I wonder what they're using now?

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Oh wow, I'm watching Better Call Saul right now! (as in it is playing in the corner on this monitor right now as I type)
Am quite a fan of the show. 
And yes, I've noticed it uses a lot of unusual camera positions. Didn't realise it was with a lowly GH4! ?

The article however is from early 2014, I wonder what they're using now?

Same here. I think it was at the beginning of this season, there were a lot of shots from inside the refrigerator, stuff like that. A little bit goes a long way! I was also wondering what they’re shooting with now. Let us know if you find out.

To really test dynamic range thoroughly wouldn't you also need to see how much info you can pull from the shadows?

You might want to add HLG to the test. There is a claim out there that you'll get 1-2 more stops of dynamic range then in vlog.

This is the method I've heard gets one more dynamic range in HLG.

"So in FCPX for instance you just make all your libraries 2020 and bring in all your footage and pull your HLG highlights down to 50IRE and export to 709. You don’t need an HDR monitor or anything else. Your 709 output will have the 14.6 stops of DR if you remap it this way. "
from

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

To really test dynamic range thoroughly wouldn't you also need to see how much info you can pull from the shadows?

You might want to add HLG to the test. There is a claim out there that you'll get 1-2 more stops of dynamic range then in vlog.

This is the method I've heard gets one more dynamic range in HLG.

"So in FCPX for instance you just make all your libraries 2020 and bring in all your footage and pull your HLG highlights down to 50IRE and export to 709. You don’t need an HDR monitor or anything else. Your 709 output will have the 14.6 stops of DR if you remap it this way. "
from

I find that hard to believe considering rec 709 only has 5 stops of dynamic range. You might have started with more, but you're not going to end up with more.