Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

34 minutes ago, anonim said:

Wouldn't it be missed ideal timing opportunity - regarding new BMP4K and more manufacturer's external 10bit solution - if Panasonic technically could, but refuse to implement ProRes Raw codec in both GH5 versions?

Panasonic wouldn't implement ProRes raw, they would implement raw (not the same thing) out over hdmi. If they can/will is most likely a technical discussion not a sales/marketing one.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

According to this test the GH5 looks like it has worse dynamic range than the GH4 in Cine D. It makes sense given the larger pixels.

Does anyone know of any other tests on the subject or have the cameras and feel like uploading some files?

I've been shooting all weekend with the G85 to determine if I should get the G9, the X-H1 or something else. I could go G9 but getting even lower than the already quite terrible DR isn't very exciting.

(I have considered the GH5 wich is way cheaper than the other two, but I need a top LCD. Otherwise I would have just stuck to the G85.)

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

According to this test the GH5 looks like it has worse dynamic range than the GH4 in Cine D. It makes sense given the larger pixels.

Does anyone know of any other tests on the subject or have the cameras and feel like uploading some files?

I've been shooting all weekend with the G85 to determine if I should get the G9, the X-H1 or something else. I could go G9 but getting even lower than the already quite terrible DR isn't very exciting.

(I have considered the GH5 wich is way cheaper than the other two, but I need a top LCD. Otherwise I would have just stuck to the G85.)

Brother the dude in that test was using extended ISO. This decreases dynamic range. They are the same in CineD otherwise. Vlog and HLG you get at least a stop more. The XH1 has pretty solid dynamic range in Flog and Eterna. 

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would not trust some random YouTuber. Dxo has the gh5 at 13 stops!

https://www.dxomark.com/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5-sensor-review-best-performer-in-the-lineup/

51 minutes ago, Dan Sherman said:

https://www.dxomark.com/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5-sensor-review-best-performer-in-the-lineup/

Yeah but that DR is for Photos. For video it is usually 1 stop less, maybe more. Photo mode usually has a higher bit rate.

2 hours ago, Dan Sherman said:

Im not trusting some dude, I'm looking at actual images. Lab tests are fun but doesn't tell you about real performance.

btw, Thats for stills. Its probably more like 10. Maybe 12 in V-log with a bit of luck and if the circumstances are perfect.

For 13 you are in Blackmagic territory. Nikon can do it. The old Sony A7s cant, but the newer once might.

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Brother the dude in that test was using extended ISO. This decreases dynamic range. They are the same in CineD otherwise. Vlog and HLG you get at least a stop more. The XH1 has pretty solid dynamic range in Flog and Eterna. 

Thanks, Didn't notice what isos where uses. Will recheck. Vlog would be cool but the G9 doesn't have it. Im only looking at GH5 vs GH4 tests because they are way easier to find than G85 vs G9 (same sensors) :)

EDIT: Where did you read about the ISOs used, cant find any info in the description or video?

I have GH5,GH4,GX80 and BMMCC , and GH5 has biggest DR of all in 400 ISO , with less iso decreases DR.

BMMCC has smaller DR and noise shadow (in ProRes),  and other colors than Panasonics. 

The (CineD Hack) GX80 is more usable DR than BMMCC in ProRes

1 hour ago, tonysss said:

I have GH5,GH4,GX80 and BMMCC , and GH5 has biggest DR of all in 400 ISO , with less iso decreases DR.

BMMCC has smaller DR and noise shadow (in ProRes),  and other colors than Panasonics. 

The (CineD Hack) GX80 is more usable DR than BMMCC in ProRes

Care to show a comparison between the GH4 and GH5 in Cine-D? You would probably be the first showing it so Im sure it would be appreciated by many, if you manage to prove them wrong :)

(According to all the tests I've seen including my own there is no way the GX80 can match the BMMCC, so no need to test that.)

17 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im not trusting some dude, I'm looking at actual images. Lab tests are fun but doesn't tell you about real performance.

btw, Thats for stills. Its probably more like 10. Maybe 12 in V-log with a bit of luck and if the circumstances are perfect.

For 13 you are in Blackmagic territory. Nikon can do it. The old Sony A7s cant, but the newer once might.

Thanks, Didn't notice what isos where uses. Will recheck. Vlog would be cool but the G9 doesn't have it. Im only looking at GH5 vs GH4 tests because they are way easier to find than G85 vs G9 (same sensors) :)

EDIT: Where did you read about the ISOs used, cant find any info in the description or video?

I am not 100% sure. I think its just me guessing. I remember when the video came out though (around when the GH5 was first released). I remember seeing another video where a guy was puzzled at the lack of Dynamic range and sure enough he was using 100 iso (which is extended iso that decreases dynamic range).

I know Paul Leeming found the GH5 to have the same dynamic range in cineD.

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am not 100% sure. I think its just me guessing. I remember when the video came out though (around when the GH5 was first released). I remember seeing another video where a guy was puzzled at the lack of Dynamic range and sure enough he was using 100 iso (which is extended iso that decreases dynamic range).

I know Paul Leeming found the GH5 to have the same dynamic range in cineD.

Im pretty sure they are using the same iso on both, at least thats what they say. Given that all tests that Ive been able to find plus the simple fact that its a higher res sensor makes me pretty sure that in Cine-D the GH4 and therefor also the G80/85 beats the GH5 in DR. Otherwise Im sure here would be tests to confirm the opposite.

Its a shame since this will most likely rule out the G9 as a purchase for me. The GH5 is alot cheaper and has V-log to counter the issue but Im just not willing to buy such a large camera without a top LCD or controls showing me my settings. Bummer, was exited to get back into the m4/3 game with all the mice glass the system has.
There was however rumors of a firmware update announced at Photokina, fingers crossed for V-log in the G9.

13 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Care to show a comparison between the GH4 and GH5 in Cine-D? You would probably be the first showing it so Im sure it would be appreciated by many, if you manage to prove them wrong :)

(According to all the tests I've seen including my own there is no way the GX80 can match the BMMCC, so no need to test that.)

Not a problem, I compare GH5, GH4, GX80, BMMCC, Panasonic at ISO400 and CineD , and BMMCC at base ISO 800 ProRes. Maybe already tomorrow.I can not do a scientific test, only put the camera in the same place with the same settings on a lot of contrast scene. (Sun and shadows)

I will give the result to VIMEO for download.

25 minutes ago, tonysss said:

Not a problem, I compare GH5, GH4, GX80, BMMCC, Panasonic at ISO400 and CineD , and BMMCC at base ISO 800 ProRes. Maybe already tomorrow.I can not do a scientific test, only put the camera in the same place with the same settings on a lot of contrast scene. (Sun and shadows)

I will give the result to VIMEO for download.

That's very kind of you, looking forward to it! And I hope you are right so I can buy that damn G9, its haunting me :)

DR on GH5 is higher for photos. Why should it be less for video?:) Especially in lowlight it provides more usuable information than a GH4. If used in 10bit, no contest at all. GH4 looks outdated in comparison. Maybe tester did a mistake in the 0 255 setting, maybe codec is not the same, though both at 100mbit 8bit, leaving errors when interpreting footage in Premiere. Nonetheless, interested in seeiny tonysss´ test! BMCC, one tasty camera! GX80 4K in Natural gives me one beautiful image! So, cool to see that kid in the test as well, hopefully.

10 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Why should it be less for video?:) 

All tests online I've seen so far shows that it is the case. And if it is true my guess is that its because of the higher mp count.

Lowlight and DR monsters are usually low mp cameras. But its been a while and a few firmwares since anyone made a test so hopefully we will know for sure soon.