Panasonic G9 mk2

kye

It is meant to be announced later today, and things have leaked already...

Leaked (translated) specs:

• Micro 4/3 Live MOS Sensor
  • Image plane phase detection AF
  • Internal 5.7K 60/50p 10bit recording
  • ProRes 5.7K & ALL-Intra 800Mbps via USB-SSD
  • Anamorphic Mode 5.8K 30p 10bit
  • Burst 75fps AFS โ€“ 60fps AFC

Lumix-back.jpg

LUMIXG9II-1.jpg

LUMIXG9II-2-2.jpg

Screenshot-2023-09-11-at-07.24.06-1.jpg

Screenshot-2023-09-11-at-07.24.13-1.jpg

Screenshot-2023-09-11-at-07.24.20-1.jpg

For everyone that wanted a PDAF GH5 v3, this looks like it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony camerasย EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, kye said:

Leaked (translated) specs:

• Micro 4/3 Live MOS Sensor
  • Image plane phase detection AF
  • Internal 5.7K 60/50p 10bit recording
  • ProRes 5.7K & ALL-Intra 800Mbps via USB-SSD
  • Anamorphic Mode 5.8K 30p 10bit
  • Burst 75fps AFS โ€“ 60fps AFC

Plus (keeping all the usual good stuff, except very sadly the top display is going ๐Ÿ˜•ย ) :ย 

New 25.2 million pixel image sensor
New engine
8.0 stops of image stabilization
7.5 steps Dual IS
C4K/4K 60p 4:2:2 10bit
V-Log
1.84 million dot tilt free angle monitor
3.68 million dot OLED viewfinder
Dustproof and splashproof
Pre-continuous shooting function
Real-time LUT
C4K/4K 10bit 120p/100p
8 direction joystick
Wifi
Bluetooth

ย ย 

4 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Also, full size HDMI and USB-C 3.2 gen2. ย Basically, a faster m43 sensor with the body/ processor of the S5ii. ย You could easily switch back and forth between the G9ii and S5ii and not need to relearn anything. ย 

Recording to a USB drive is cool!

Based on latest rumor, Panasonic will also announce a GH6X/GH7 with PDAF at the same time.ย 

Yes, the way I understand is that:

1) G9mk2 is announced and immediately (or fairly soon afterwards) available to purchase

2) while "the development of" the GH6X/GH7 is announced, with their available being either late this year or perhaps next yearย 

It's a necessary evil, as it's required to make the camera competitive in the specs race that people seem to care more about, but we really are continuing to get further and further away from the promise of M43.

The lenses, or at least most of them, are still smaller but it's a real bummer that we can't get smaller cameras even if it's at the expense of higher resolutions than 4K. Perhaps it'd be too niche, but a GH5 with updated colors and PDAF in the body of a GX85 at a competitive price would make me consider getting a M43 body again. The GX85 with the 35-100 f2.8 is still one of my favorite combinations due to how low profile it is. I genuinely miss that set up and more than once have found myself regretting selling it.ย 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, the way I understand is that:

1) G9mk2 is announced and immediately (or fairly soon afterwards) available to purchase

2) while "the development of" the GH6X/GH7 is announced, with their available being either late this year or perhaps next yearย 

As the G9ii looks like it's using a version of the GH6 25Mp sensor with PDAF added, a GH6ii/GH7 is probably not far away...

As an OM-1, G9 and GX80 owner, I'm not really interested in the G9ii, but a GX80/GX9/EM5/OM5 size camera with mic jack and the 25Mp PDAF sensor inside would be very interesting!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yeah, so why buy a GH6 now? It's f***ed!

Look at the competition (even the competition from Panasonic's L Mount).ย 

They had to bring out a new MFT camera soon.ย 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's a nice tool, but also something of a strange move unless GH7 coming with PDAF just around the corner.

The rumors are that the development of a "GH7" being in the works will probably be announced at a similar time-ish as launch of the G9mk2 itself.ย 

ย ย 

40 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

As the G9ii looks like it's using a version of the GH6 25Mp sensor with PDAF added, a GH6ii/GH7 is probably not far away...

Seems to be confirmed it is the GH6 sensor in the G9mk2:
https://www.43rumors.com/last-minute-g9ii-specs-has-same-gh6-sensor-15sec-pre-burst-weights-658g/

• Super Members

Iโ€™ll preface this by saying that that is some spec and it will likely be a very decent camera.

Howeverโ€ฆ.

A smaller sensor inside a smaller body with smaller lenses at a smaller price was the whole raison dโ€™etre of the Micro Four Thirds system.

The clue was right there in the name.

Panasonic seems to have looked what BMW has done since it acquired the Mini and thought โ€œyeah, thatโ€™s the path for us tooโ€.

In a world where their own full frame S5ii exists, let alone the compact APS-C feature laden cameras from all the other manufacturers, I donโ€™t get where they are coming from with their latter day MFT releases and, in my opinion, they have completely lost their way with the system, particularly in terms of attracting new adopters.

Even for the old guard, youโ€™d have to be pretty attached to that native lens collection to go in again.

Panasonic seem to have a borderline kinky reluctance to refresh the two cameras that would actually cause a resurgence in the ideology of the system as well as sales.

Namely, the GX80 and the LX100.

Putting a mic jack on them and giving them 10 bit 4:2:2 internal and VLOG would be a piece of piss for Panasonic and they could sell them all day long at their equivalent launch prices.

They might have to push the boat out and put IBIS in the LX but I donโ€™t even think that is a deal breaker.

Iโ€™m at loss to where they are getting their market research from thatโ€™s telling them there is. Bigger demand for small sensor cameras in large sensor bodies at large sensor prices.

ย 

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Namely, the GX80 and the LX100.

Putting a mic jack on them and giving them 10 bit 4:2:2 internal and VLOG would be a piece of piss for Panasonic and they could sell them all day long at their equivalent launch prices.

They might have to push the boat out and put IBIS in the LX but I donโ€™t even think that is a deal breaker.

...Or even put IBIS and PDAF in a version of the G100... (but the GX80/GX9/LX100 are much better looking cameras from a style point-of-view).

If Sony can sell small, expensive and thermally-compromised cameras I'm sure Panasonic could if they had the right product...

I have not found the exact dimensions but it seems to be a nice, bulky block.
For me the micro 43 system still makes sense because I use it for underwater shooting and it helps me to have a rather compact assembly. At least in lenses and corresponding portholes. Certainly the compactness of the underwater kits with the Sony A6XXX is impressive.

Given the overheating problems of all Sony cameras I don't know if having a GX85 style body with the latest resolutions and bitrates is feasible. Maybe a fan is needed here too.

Even a new version of the 1 inch sensor LX15 with 10 bit and full sensor 4k 60p would be super appealing. A larger focussing ring, Evf and bit bigger grip, perfect pocket cinema camera. With Pdaf all for 799 it would sell like crazy. Gh5 in Gx85 body, kye and I have been preaching that for a long time. Bring it on, Pana. I just bought your big ole S1H. Selling the S1 though.๐Ÿ˜Š

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

If Sony can sell small, expensive and thermally-compromised cameras I'm sure Panasonic could if they had the right product..

The amount of heat (boom tish) the thermal issue is generating recently is quite interesting to me.

Its always been there in the background of course and the R5 was a wild ride while we were investigating it but itโ€™s back with an increased vengeance recently.

What interests me is if anyone on here actually works in a camera shop and if so how much cut through does this issue have with the average customer?

How far down the list - if it even appears anywhere - is it on the list of questions posed by customers when they are running through a product?

And how many cameras do you have returned by customers due to them, for example, going on holiday and discovering their new toy needs more sunscreen than they do?

Iโ€™m curious because manufacturers seemingly show no interest in tackling it definitively and I would have to guess that it is because they are comfortable with the amount of, erm, heat they receive from dealers and customers about it.

Looked at another way, how many more ZV cameras would Sony get returned for ingress of water/sand/avocado if they adopted a vented cooling system than they do now from the inconvenient but recoverable overheating issues.

ย