Panasonic G9 mk2

kye

17 minutes ago, Beritar said:

Yes, on M43 it's hard to get the same look than a FF 35mm f1.4 or f1.2.
I have the 35mm GM for that, awesome lens, ultra sharp wide open with nice bokeh, and not so large and heavy. It's one of the best lens I ever used. I would love to put this lens on my Panasonic S cameras ...

My god, how many systems do you actually have? That's quite a collection.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, bonzcruzez said:

I might see the odd 60+ year old guest fumbling with an old DSLR or the occasional hipster with something Fuji flavoured, but otherwise nada, it's wall to wall phones and if they are not taking snaps with them, they are gazing at them for whatever enlightenment they individually receive from these devices.

krnl download

hdstreamz.uno

Sounds like every wedding I have been to for the last 4-5 years…which has been circa 100+ (would have been more if it wasn’t for covid).

EXACTLY, including that 60+ gent fumbling with his archaic DSLR and that Fuji hipster couple 😂

19 hours ago, bonzcruzez said:

I might see the odd 60+ year old guest fumbling with an old DSLR or the occasional hipster with something Fuji flavoured, but otherwise nada, it's wall to wall phones and if they are not taking snaps with them, they are gazing at them for whatever enlightenment they individually receive from these devices.

Don't be so skeptical...  there is much enlightenment available!

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/mean-girls-free-tiktok-23-parts-paramount-1235743213/

G9ii to get external RAW in future firmware update...  

Firmware Version 2.0 for LUMIX G9II To Support HDMI RAW Data output for BRAW and Pro Res RAW recording.

Newark, NJ (December 4th, 2023) 

Today, Panasonic announced the upcoming release of the Ver.2.0 firmware update program for the LUMIX G9II to offer more flexible workflow. The firmware program will be available on the LUMIX Global Customer Support website.

LUMIX G9II Firmware Version 2.0

*Details are still under development and subject to change.

RAW video output over HDMI to Blackmagic Design external recorder

[5.7K] / [C4K] / [5.8K(4:3)] / [4.4K(4:3)] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI to Blackmagic Video Assist 5" 12G HDR and Blackmagic Video Assist 7" 12G HDR, to be recorded as Blackmagic RAW.

*DaVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio is required to play back and DaVinci Resolve Studio to edit Blackmagic RAW data.
*Please refer to the Blackmagic Design website for information on the corresponding firmware version of Blackmagic Video Assist 5" 12G HDR and Blackmagic Video Assist 7" 12G HDR.
*All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
*When recording in C4K 120p/100p or 5.7K 60p/50p, constant bitrate 5:1 or less is recommended for SSD recording and 8:1 or less for SD card recording.

RAW video output over HDMI to ATOMOS external recorder

[5.7K] / [C4K] / [5.8K(4:3)] / [4.4K(4:3)] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI to ATOMOS “Ninja V” “Ninja V+” “Ninja” “Ninja Ultra” “Shogun” “Shogun Ultra” “Shogun Connect” devices, to be recorded as Apple Pro Res RAW.

*All functions may not be available depending on the situation. 
*Please check here for compatible firmware versions of external recorders. 
https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/index.html
*“Ninja V” “Ninja” “Shogun” does not support some RAW video data. 
*Software that supports Apple ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded. 
*A LUT (Lookup table) exclusively designed for RAW video is available on the following customer support website to make the same color grading as V-Log/V-Gamut.
https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/lut/s1h_raw_lut/

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the G9ii, an upgrade for a GH5.  The autofocus for video is much better from my limited time trying it out so far, it was pretty poor for video on the GH5.

Other observations, odd that 4.2.2 codecs use AVC when they have more data to compress, and 4.2.0 use HEVC (GH5 was mostly all AVC), I gather this is because Panasonic believe no one can edit smoothly using HEVC with 4.2.2, but then who edits smoothly using 4.2.0 at 10bit with HEVC! I know I don't as I use proxy files.  Wish they would give us an option to choose which compression we use.

Bug bare, no separate charger and Panasonic want around £106 to buy an official one, which lets face it is a rip off price.  No one can make me believe that their Chinese supplier doesn't make these for more than a few dollars each, it's not hi-tech creating a charger.  Given Panasonic were able to include a throwaway mains adapter for charging the battery in-camera (they included a charger with a UK pin arrangement and a second charger with EU pins), I'm sure they could afford to include a charger.  Guess that is the way things are going these days, sort of shrinkflation.  I'm trying a £10 third party one, I will check the circuitry and charging voltages just to make sure its charging correctly.

Just need some better weather to get out and about and try it out some more.

13 hours ago, philipd said:

Just got the G9ii, an upgrade for a GH5.  The autofocus for video is much better from my limited time trying it out so far, it was pretty poor for video on the GH5.

The G9ii looks like a good upgrade to the GH5.  If I used my GH5 as my main camera and wanted an upgrade I'd be tempted.

Other observations, odd that 4.2.2 codecs use AVC when they have more data to compress, and 4.2.0 use HEVC (GH5 was mostly all AVC), I gather this is because Panasonic believe no one can edit smoothly using HEVC with 4.2.2, but then who edits smoothly using 4.2.0 at 10bit with HEVC! I know I don't as I use proxy files.  Wish they would give us an option to choose which compression we use.

The list of modes in these cameras is definitely getting to be huge, I noticed that Panasonic implemented the ability to favourite some modes so you can shorten the list, so they're aware that it's getting cumbersome too.

It would be great for them to implement a BM style solution were you choose things individually, but of course if there is a complex set of combinations that can't be done then this style of menu would really make that obvious to people, so it might not be in their best interests.  Sadly, perception matters a lot to people and this stuff can make or break products and even companies, so while it's frustrating it is a relevant consideration.

Bug bare, no separate charger and Panasonic want around £106 to buy an official one, which lets face it is a rip off price.  No one can make me believe that their Chinese supplier doesn't make these for more than a few dollars each, it's not hi-tech creating a charger.  Given Panasonic were able to include a throwaway mains adapter for charging the battery in-camera (they included a charger with a UK pin arrangement and a second charger with EU pins), I'm sure they could afford to include a charger.  Guess that is the way things are going these days, sort of shrinkflation.  I'm trying a £10 third party one, I will check the circuitry and charging voltages just to make sure its charging correctly.

I think this is just how capitalism works.  Products across all industries adopt this pattern of trying to make the main item as cheap as possible and then making as much profit on the accessories as possible.  This is because people price compare on the main item, but don't even look at the prices of the accessories until they're in the retail shop or have already ordered the main item.

Just need some better weather to get out and about and try it out some more.

What sort of things are you planning to use it on?

I'm an introvert and going out and filming is not my natural compulsion, but whenever I do I am always glad that I did.

5 hours ago, kye said:

The list of modes in these cameras is definitely getting to be huge, I noticed that Panasonic implemented the ability to favourite some modes so you can shorten the list, so they're aware that it's getting cumbersome too.

It is a large list indeed and the filtering is an excellent addition, as otherwise its easy to pick one you didn't mean to pick and by the time you notice its too late.  Given the already huge array of customisations in the menu I don't think they've left of the option to select the codec type out in order to simply things 🙂 If they just had an option buried away so you can say which codec to use for 4.2.0 and 4.2.2 is all that is needed, this then doesn't add to the list of selectable recording options.

As far as I can tell, Intel CPUs from Kaby Lake upwards support in hardware 4.2.2 at 10bit in HEVC, but do not support 4.2.2 AVC at 10 bit (High 4.2.2), so Panasonic's argument that they do 4.2.2 in AVC because systems would struggle with 4.2.2 HEVC doesn't ring true.

6 hours ago, kye said:

I think this is just how capitalism works.  Products across all industries adopt this pattern of trying to make the main item as cheap as possible and then making as much profit on the accessories as possible.  This is because people price compare on the main item, but don't even look at the prices of the accessories until they're in the retail shop or have already ordered the main item.

Absolutely how it works, but given the target market for these cameras and the starting price already, I'm not sure they gain anything doing this. Their overpriced accessories just drives people to try third party alternatives, so Panasonic lose out completely, whereas if the chargers and replacement batteries were more reasonably priced they would sell a lot more.

6 hours ago, kye said:

What sort of things are you planning to use it on?

Generally a mix of photos and video, mostly vacations and family events, the odd wedding I've videoed (not professionally).  I tend to enjoy editing it all afterwards and making a short film of the event.  As older generations leave us its lovely to have them on video, especially for those family members too young at the time to really remember them. 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone it might help, the separate charger is available in Europe from Panasonic Spares https://www.pas-europe.com/shop/p/DVLC1005Z for £26.99 + delivery.  It is just the charger itself, no cable or power adapter, but of course it works with the supplied adaptor and cable that came to charge the battery in-camera.  This is significantly cheaper than the £100+ for the retail kit.  I've tested the charger with the supplied adapter and it charges at around 10 watts.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in using the G9 ii for wildlife video, I came across this interesting comparison by an experienced wildlife photographer of the G9 ii and OM-1 (the video comparison starts around 10:30). The video C-AF performance is quite impressive: